Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2020, 11:42 AM   #21
Site Team

Wow, expensive plan options. Have you thought about going with lower cost phone plans - with much lower data allowances - and add a ATT truly unlimited SIM from a data plan reseller like NetBuddy or OTR Mobile.

The unlimited NetBuddy SIM is totally unlimited and you'd put the SIM in your Winegard and have both the WiFi extender and ATT LTE Unlimited too. The NetBuddy SIM unlimited plan is $65 a month.

https://netbuddy.co/product/remote-a...n-of-sim-card/

NOTE: I see there is a new limit on this plan, but it's 200gb a WEEK. So, that's kind of hard to use that much data in 7-days.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:09 PM   #22
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
We just picked up our View 24D two weeks ago, and having fast internet (when possible) was one of our goals.

We've installed a Winegard Connect 2.0 WiFi booster, that we use for WiFi inside the View. All our devices are set to connect to the Winegard's network. When we park, we'll compare the speed of the local WiFi to what I'm getting with my 4G/5G phone (with 50GB/month hotspot) and use whichever provides acceptable performance.

To help with cell phone performance, we've installed a WeBoost. Initially we had the Drive X RV installed, but found the interior signal boost wasn't as good as we hoped with our Sprint phones, so we replaced the Drive X booster with a Drive Reach booster and upgraded the interior antenna from the original desktop antenna to a wall-mount. And now we're seeing signal improvements inside - especially the uplink speeds. Though testing of this configuration has only been done in our driveway - we'll test it soon on a road trip to verify the WeBoost is actually helping.

For streaming video, if the local WiFi is fast enough, we'll use the smart apps on our TV for streaming. If we're using my phone's hotspot for WiFi, then we'll likely use an HDMI cable from the phone as we approach the phone's 50GB/month hotspot limit, since we have unlimited data for the phone.

Longer term, we'll look at SpaceX's Starlink service and see if it will provide another option for getting reasonable internet speeds.

The Connect 2 only uses SIMs from AT&T and Verizon...which are you using for data? Only other option is from Winegard itself and it is very expensive. I installed one and last year purchased SIM fro AT&T with an UNLIMITED Data plan for only $360/yr....This plan has now been cancelled by AT&T. The unit performed EXCellent for the year but we are now having problems getting a new SIM and service. It seems neither ATT or Verizon want to supply for a Winegard...when I contacted Winegard support they told me NOT TO MENTION WINEGARD CONNECT ONLY SAY I NEED SIM FOR A MOBILE HOTSPOT.

I purchased new ATT and unlimited plan for $65/month and installed in Winegard. Set up is a pain in the ass and I did get it to work fine initially but after first shut down my network came up but was unable to connect to internet. I got frustrated and am receiving a NightHawk on Friday and will be removing the Winegard and installing 2 external antennas.

I would not recommend the Winegard although I did prior to my first year plan expiration.
Safe-T-Plus, Roadmaster 1139140 Front SwayBar, Roadmaster 1139144 Rear SwayBar, Rear Drag Link, Koni Shocks front and rear, Front Sumo Springs, RVI3 Brake System, BlueOX 7365 Alpha TowBar, RVI3 Battery Charge, EEEZTire-TPMS, Winegard Connect 2 4GLTE and WiFi extender,
feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:36 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Before adding the Connect 2 to our RV purchase, we realized it didn't support SIMs from Sprint or T-Mobile, so our plan has been to use it only for reaching nearby WiFi or with our Sprint 4G/LTE/5G phones as hotspots (which combined provide 100GB/month).

While it would be simpler to have a SIM for the Connect 2, it's not worth spending much $$$ to add a SIM to our account or for another carrier.

Also, because our phones get unlimited data, to cut down on hotspot data usage, we can stream video from our phones connected by HDMI to the TV - rather than using the smart TV to stream over WiFi using up hotspot data.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:44 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Also, because our phones get unlimited data, to cut down on hotspot data usage, we can stream video from our phones connected by HDMI to the TV - rather than using the smart TV to stream over WiFi using up hotspot data.
If that worked really well, everyone would be doing that. I think you'll find a number of hassles and issues. On paper it seems like a winable option.

I hope your upcoming trip to Texas works well for you. Enjoy Fredericksburg and visit the Museum of the Pacific War if you're a history buff. If you're a wine drinker you'll find a dozen wineries between Fredericksburg and Stonewall. They even have Buses that take you from winery to winery so drinking and driving isn't a worry.

If you're a country music fan you'll need to visit Luckenbach, TX. There's not much there but a bar and a post office but it's famous. It's super close to Fredericksburg.

Also, if you're a history buff the LBJ Ranch is open for tours and tours of big house. It's a great place and next door is a living history farm that's fun. There's a lot more LBJ history in the town of Johnson City about 15 or so miles further down the highway.

COVID-19 is really ramping up here. Be careful, keep a mask with you at all times and check for any closures. It's not looking good lately.

Here's how we've done to "flatten" the curve... not (chart new cases entire state upto date today):
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #25
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Quote:
Before adding the Connect 2 to our RV purchase, we realized it didn't support SIMs from Sprint or T-Mobile, so our plan has been to use it only for reaching nearby WiFi or with our Sprint 4G/LTE/5G phones as hotspots (which combined provide 100GB/month).

While it would be simpler to have a SIM for the Connect 2, it's not worth spending much $$$ to add a SIM to our account or for another carrier.

I didn't realize the Connect 2 would operate without a SIM card...are you saying it will? During the good year we frequently were able to boost the Parks WiFi but seldom sufficient to stream effectively. Usually reverted to our phone HOTSPOT for better delivery.

BTW, based on Creative post I have also ordered two directional exterior mount antennas for my Nighthawk. Planning on running cable through same whole the Connect 2 is using and want to mount the modem on the control panel wall...will need to resolve the power issue however.
Safe-T-Plus, Roadmaster 1139140 Front SwayBar, Roadmaster 1139144 Rear SwayBar, Rear Drag Link, Koni Shocks front and rear, Front Sumo Springs, RVI3 Brake System, BlueOX 7365 Alpha TowBar, RVI3 Battery Charge, EEEZTire-TPMS, Winegard Connect 2 4GLTE and WiFi extender,
Old 06-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

The Connect 2 work boost WiFi or use a SIM card and serve as a cell hotspot.

When we ordered it for our new RV, we weren't counting on using a SIM card, and based our decision entirely on WiFi boosting (nearby or smartphone hotspots).

It's been convenient to have all of our smart devices use the Connect's SSID, and then only have to use the Connect app to change the Connect to a different WiFi network.

We tested out using our smartphones as hotspots on the trip back from Iowa - and it worked pretty well, though we've since upgraded our WeBoost from Drive X to Drive Reach plus a better indoor antenna, and that should help us even more with 4G/LTE/5G signals inside the RV.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #27
Site Team

Old 06-25-2020, 11:53 AM   #28
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
You're in the Houston area which should have plenty of Sprint/T-Mobile coverage. It will be interesting to hear how you do on your trip. Where are you headed?

Please report back how it goes.

I think if you want to use a Sprint SIM in the Winegard in the future that it will be a problem. I think that Sprint's 50gb hotspot plan is only for phones not MiFi devices (which would include the Winegard) and there is no option to use a Mobile Hotspot Device (MiFi/Jetpack/LTE Router) with that plan.
You are correct. I spoke with Winegard when ATT said I couldn’t use my Connect2 and Verizon would only provide 20 GB plan unless I buy their device. I asked if future would see additional providers as it appears the big boys don’t want to support them. They said it would involve new hardware purchased. At that point realized I probably wasted $339
Old 06-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Our Sprint phones (S10 with 4G/LTE and S20 Ultra with 4G/LTE/5G) both work as mobile hotspots with 50GB/month each and unlimited data for apps running on the phone.

Using our phones as hotspots and the Connect as the access point worked well on our trip home with the RV - and will have an opportunity to do more testing on the next trip when we're likely to be in areas with poorer cell phone.

If we're in an area with 5G, it's actually better to use our S20 5G phone's hotspot, since the Connect only supports 4G/LTE, and we may get higher performance with the phone's 5G.

Will know more about how this all works - since we'll be using the RV for the next 2 weeks.