Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #21
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satx View View Post

Here's a link to the video. Thanks
I just wanted to say wow. Mine has not done that. Could the ABS be actuating? Is your Sprinter the newer chassis 2020?
Old 09-16-2020, 11:53 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satx View View Post

Here's a link to the video. Thanks
My Navion also has never done anything like that.

I'm going to suggest starting a brand new thread/topic, include your excellent symptoms video, and ask specifically if anyone else has ever experienced this sort of behavior. Make it an eye catcher title.
"Strange thumping/hammering noise from MB Sprinter at 60 MPH. VIDEO INCLUDED."
I'm suggesting doing this because it will get more views on it's own, than buried inside another more generalized thread about MB Service.

That's very strange, a couple of guesses that won't help. The rythym/cadence of the noise seemed to slow as you reduced speed. Is that correct?
1) Sounds like a flapping noise like a mud guard bent upwards hitting a tire
2) Actual tire tread separation, slapping the wheel well
3) Check under hood for belts that might have frayed or split
4) Hopefully not, but an internal engine component topping or bottoming out.
5) ???

If you want to, you could join Sprinter Source Forum and post the same video in a similar thread. Ask for opinions, there are some very Sprinter savvy people over there including at least one fellow that fixes them for a living out in Colorado. Linden Engineering is the gentleman's shop.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #23
2021 Winnebago View 24D

Thanks Winterbagoal and Ienore for your suggestions and questions. It is the new chassis version with the full bells and whistles and yes, the noise does seem to slow down as the MPH decreases.

After I posted my rant, I called Winnebago and they were pretty concerned. They gave me a number for Mercedes corporate and while I was talking to them, they called our local Mercedes shop and a few minutes later MB local called to get me to bring it in again. Suddenly now, they're very interested in tracking down the problem. Gave them the full, longer version of the video and talked with their Sprinter foreman at length and he seems determined to track it down. I'll post progress and let you guys know when they figure it out.
satx view1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:46 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Sounds good.
I think I would have asked you to bring it back in almost immediately after reviewing that video. I'm still a bit surprised they sloughed it off so easily.
MB of SA? We pass through there sometimes (when we're allowed to cross the border) and I'm curious, should we ever have a problem needing Sprinter service.
A simple wink will suffice.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:55 PM   #25
2021 Winnebago View 24D

Winterbagoal, I was surprised they blew it off. It is MB of B, same area.
satx view1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:59 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Thanks, got it. A few miles north/west along I-10. We've seen that one when driving by on our way east. Same thoughts, "I wonder if they're any good?".
Old 10-02-2020, 11:58 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Our experience over the past 4 years of Sprinter RV ownership is that even M-B dealerships don’t want to work on them. We now bring any chassis repair issues to Hoekstra/Freightliner shop, which has proven to be a godsend.
With that, has anyone had to replace their Sprinter’s DEF tank heater assembly? That’s what we’re dealing with today, after a wonderful weeklong trip to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. The check engine light came on, as well as the “10 remaining starts” countdown. Refilling the DEF fluid didn’t matter. Now we’re facing $2,100 in repairs — unless Daimler agrees to pick up some of the cost. Our warranty expired on June 26, 2020. Give me a reason not to sell this thing ... thanks. Jen
JJohn0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:29 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGekko View Post
We have a 2019 Winnie Navion D with 8200 miles. Two weeks ago, while on the road to Boothbay, ME, the check engine light came on. After setting up camp I checked the manual and found I had 500 miles or 16 starts before the vehicle wouldn’t start again. Went on line to find a Nearby Mercedes dealer and called them all. Only one, 3 hrs away, could get the Navion into the shop for diagnosis and then only if I had a reservation. Earliest reservation was 3 wks away. Checked with home state, NH, and found a similar situation. Only one MB dealer in the entire state (5 hrs away from Boothbay) could handle the Navion. Is this the situation across the US or is New England “special”? Planning a trip to Alaska in May, 21 - if all the stars align - and want to be prepared for long tow truck rides (and adequate insurance coverage) if this situation is common. Thanks for any reassurance ir commiseration.
I have a 2020 with 1400 miles Vita. Have not camped in it yet. I start the unit about every 2-3 weeks and allow it to run about 15-30 minutes to keep the batteries charged. Several months ago it cranked very slowly and would not start. I called (dealer) La Mesa for mobile service (they are about 5 miles away) and they would not provide mobile service and advised that it would need a tow sometimes in the next few days. I was very disheartened as I paid a lot for extended warranty protection and the unit was only a few months old. I located the battery myself and charged it all day. I suspect that the battery is bad as I need to run the vehicle every week or it drags excessively during starts (voltage drops during cranking). Very disappointed with the dealer-I have monitored battery voltage during cranking and it drops below 10.5 volts before starting. They insist that I take the vehicle to them but my trust in the dealer has diminished because of problems I had with my last RV I serviced there. Lesson learned.
BTW- this 2020 winny is actually built on a 2018 sprinter c3500 chassis. I suspect that the battery may be from 2018 and sat on the dealer lot until I purchased it in 2020.
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:53 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Chappy, I think your owner’s manual and most posts on the Winnie forums advise against running the diesel motor for “extended” periods as it will foul the exhaust system to the point where it will have to be replaced at a cost of approx $5000. When it’s not being driven, the chassis battery is still providing power to several subsystems, among them the automatic steps and the on board MB computer. Eventually these parasitic draws will draw the battery down. My ‘19 Sprinter Navion came with a chassis battery disconnect switch, located just to the right of the gas peddle. Last year I disconnected the cable connection in November and didn’t reconnect it until May. The New Hampshire winter didn’t seem to have had an effect on it as the Navion started right up when I reconnected it. Check your owner’s manual and some of the Winnie blogs to confirm but I think this may be the reason your chassis battery charge has dropped so low. BTW, because I tarp my Navion to protect it against the winter snow load (and because doing so covers the solar cells), I also keep it plugged into house power over the winter to keep the house batteries charged. There are several parasitic draws in the coach too. Again, when I uncovered it in May, everything worked and the house batts were fully charged. In my view, the small cost of keeping it plugged in when not using it - particularly for so many winter months - far out weighs the cost of having to replace dead house batts because their charge fell too low to hold a recharge. This system works for me. Others may have different ideas about your low battery problem. Finally, if the low batt problem becomes a chronic issue and you can’t plug into house power when it’s parked or you don’t have a batt disconnect connection for the chassis batt, you may want to invest (small investment) in a trickle charger to keep the chassis and house batts topped up.
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service