Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Mercedes Pro Connect Activation Failure

We purchased our 2021 View 24D on June 6 from Lichtsinn (who have been great to work with!).

On June 8, we tried to activate Mercedes Pro Connect for our 2019 Mercedes Sprinter Chassis (with MBUX).

As of today (August 24), Mercedes still hasn't been able to get Pro Connect to activate. A commercial account has been created, our vehicle is listed in the account, and the trial versions of the Pro products have all been added. The Pro Connect app lists our vehicle, but doesn't show any current data (such as fuel range) and shows our View is in Berlin. All indications consistent with a vehicle that hasn't been activated.

For the last two months, I've been working with the Mercedes Pro Connect technical support, who then escalated the issue to their 2nd tier support in Germany. And as of today, I've heard they don't know how to get this working in our View!

We have been able to activate the AT&T mobile hotspot in the Sprinter, so the internet communications link should be working.

It seems unlikely we have a hardware problem with the Mercedes Pro Connect module - and that it's more likely there's a problem with our account and vehicle information on Mercedes' server - but they've made no progress in fixing the issue in two months.

Has anyone else had difficulties activating Mercedes Pro Connect in their 2020/2021 View/Navion?

For those who have activated Mercedes Pro Connect: what version of MBUX software and map data are installed?

Winnebago and Lichtsinn advertise Mercedes Pro Connect as one of the features included with the purchase of a View or Navion.

However, this is a problem only Mercedes can fix - especially if it is a server-side technical issue - not something that can be fixed in the View or in our Sprinter chassis.

If Mercedes is unable to get Mercedes Pro Connect activated - and provide the promised software and map updates, any suggestions on next steps we should take?
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I know zip about Mercedes Pro Connect, but I'm wondering why you created a "commercial account" if you're not a business? I assume you're not a business?

Actually, upon further review, I have an MPC account I created not long after I took possession of our Navion, and I think I then realized it's not really for non-commercial users, as far as I can see. It's for fleet management, so it is more for commercial users.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You can create a commercial Mercedes Pro Connect account if you are an individual - with a fleet of one vehicle.

That's the only way you get full access to the Pro features, including the ability to use the Pro Connect app to access your vehicle remotely.

Though the features are more oriented for businesses managing a fleet of vehicles. Very, very few of the Pro features are relevant to an RV owner. Most of the features are useless. Plus to use the Pro Connect app is free only for a year, and then they start charging you a monthly subscription to use the app!

Mercedes Me is a much better solution for RV owners - but it's currently not available for RV's built on a 2019/2020 Sprinter chassis.

If possible, I'd rather switch over to Me than continue spending (wasting) time with Mercedes - but that's not currently an option. And if we can't get Pro activated, it doesn't appear we'll be getting any software or map updates, and could risk losing Android Auto in the future...
Old 08-24-2020, 09:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

One of the items I discussed with the Mercedes Pro Connect support team was the old maps on our View, which were not being updated because Pro wasn't activating.

After doing some internet research, I've found out it may be possible to manually update the maps by downloading them from the Mercedes Pro Connect portal onto a USB drive and then loading them from USB into the MBUX navigation system.

Evidently the "automatic" updates would only update Texas (where we live) - and the other states would not be updated automatically. The only way to update those is to go to the Pro portal and either change your "home" region (to a different state or combination of smaller states) OR to manually update them from a USB device.

I'm in the process now of updating all of the available maps (19.2 GB) and will try transferring them to our View tomorrow.

That would solve at least part of the problem we've had. I'm going to check tomorrow to see if we can get the local Sprinter dealer to manually install the latest software updates.

We've got two Tesla vehicles - which get automatic updates over WiFi or AT&T LTE network. I was hoping our View with MBUX and Mercedes Pro would work as well - and so far, that hasn't been the case...
Old 08-24-2020, 09:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Isn't there another way to get map or software updates for MBUX, besides an application that isn't working for you, you say is mostly useless, or isn't relevant to an RV owner, and doesn't seem likely to be working for you in the future?
I'd be asking that question if the object of the game is software and map updates for your MBUX.
Good luck with it.
EDIT: Sorry, posted this after you already answered the "MBUX updates" question.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

What's interesting is that the automatic updates are limited to a relatively small region. For RV owners, who will likely travel long distances with their RVs, without realizing it, RV/Sprinter owners appear to get up-to-date maps only for their state (or nearby small states).

The Sprinter manual doesn't say anything about this - all it says is that the maps should be updated automatically. While there's a mention that it's possible to install maps from USB - they don't indicate this is the only way to get the entire USA or about how you go about doing this...

As for the software updates - I'll check tomorrow with our local Sprinter dealer to see if they can force an update - it's likely they have some way to force an update from USB, in case there's a major problem with the MBUX system preventing online updates from installing.

Also plan to call the MB corporate USA office tomorrow and see if I can find someone to talk to about this situation, since the Pro Connect folks have been unable to make any progress...
Old 08-25-2020, 03:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Was able to manually install the missing map updates using USB.

And, after the update was completed, I checked the Pro Connect website, and it is now showing the maps are up-to-date in our Sprinter's MBUX system.

So that seems to confirm the MBUX/Mercedes Pro Connect module is communicating with the Pro Connect server, which seems to confirm the failure to activate Pro Connect is somewhere on the MB server - and not in our View.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:22 AM   #8
JMD
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
Was able to manually install the missing map updates using USB.

And, after the update was completed, I checked the Pro Connect website, and it is now showing the maps are up-to-date in our Sprinter's MBUX system.

So that seems to confirm the MBUX/Mercedes Pro Connect module is communicating with the Pro Connect server, which seems to confirm the failure to activate Pro Connect is somewhere on the MB server - and not in our View.
I am having the same problem. I have a Pro Connect account, can login but the get a message that says there was a login failure and to make sure my fleet manager has added me as a driver and then try again. I am single user, not commercial. I've tried calling the support number twice, was on hold for 49 minutes and then it went to voicemail but I couldn't leave a message because the mailbox was full.

Any suggestions? How did you manually install map updates?
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Mercedes really needs to switch Sprinter-based RVs over to Mercedes Me - because there are some aspects of configuring Mercedes Pro which are unduly complicated, since it was designed for commercial fleets - not an RV.

First, are you able to use the Mercedes Pro Connect app to connect to your vehicle, see it's current location and status (fuel level, range, are the doors locked & windows closed, ...)? If this isn't working, then you don't have Pro Connect completely activated - and will need to work with your Winnebago dealer and Mercedes to get activation completed.

If the app works, then login to the Mercedes Pro Portal (mpp.mbvans.com). On the dashboard, click on "Manage and Control Fleet", which will bring you to the vehicle management site. Click on "Vehicles" and verify your vehicle is listed and assigned to a driver. If it isn't assigned, then click on the vehicle and do the assignment. If you aren't listed in the list of available drivers, then go to the Drivers tab and do "Invite Driver".

To do the map update manually - from the mpp dashboard, click on Vehicles. On the Vehicles page, click, on your RV. Towards the bottom of your vehicle's page, in the list of Assigned Products, click on "Optimized Assistance". On the Optimized Assistance page, click on your vehicle. On the Optimized Assistance Product Administration page, scroll down to the line for Online Map Update - make sure the switch is set in the right position (to enable updates) and then click on "Settings".

This should take you a page with map update information. NOTE that you may need to login again - and possibly create a Mercedes Me account to get this to work. Since I've already done this, clicking on Settings takes me directly to the map update page.

On this page, at the top will be your "home" region (for me, it's Texas) - the region that is automatically updated. Below this are all of the other regions - if updates are available for any of these, you should get a notice on the page. On this page, there is a downloadable .pdf with the instructions for installing the updates manually. Basically you'll download an app to your computer for this - it will download the requested maps and place them on a USB storage device. You then plug this into one of the MBUX USB ports on top of the dashboard (under the cover) - and the MBUX system should automatically install the map updates once it sees the USB device.

This is way, way, way too complicated - and something that isn't explained at all in the Sprinter documentation.

Map updates aren't distributed very often. Since we had a 2019 Sprinter for our 2021 View, the maps were out-of-date - and all of them had updates. But since I did that, I periodically check - and no new updates have been issued for any of the maps.

We have two Tesla EVs that we drive when we're not on a road trip with our View - and Tesla handles all of the updates automatically, including the map updates - everything is downloaded automatically over WiFi when the vehicles are parked in our garage - and when we're notified an update is ready, from our smartphone app we start the update - which updates not only the maps (when those are updated) it also updates the software, including adding new features (for example, we just got a new feature that allows us to automatically set cruise control to either a fixed MPH or % above the speed limit...).

Mercedes could do much more to make this easier - especially if they shifted RVs to using Mercedes Me.

Good luck!
Old 11-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #10
2021 View 24D

I finally got my Pro Connect working about 2 weeks ago. It took three calls to the support number. The first 2 individuals were very agreeable, said they would research the problem and call back, which never happened. The third individual (all in Florida) whose first name is Alex and whose last name begins also with 'Alex' is my idea of a call center support 'dream'. Ask for Alex if possible and you will be on autopilot until he resolves the problem. In addition to many things, he called two separate dealers to walk them through the necessary vehicle verification, and followed up with both resolution notification and then another happiness check. Pro Connect is definitely a robust, feature rich system that will even get better over time. I'm now another happy camper.
fsantore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Even if Mercedes Pro Connect adds new functionality, I'm not expecting Sprinter-based RVs to see much improvement. Most of the features of Mercedes Pro are oriented to companies managing fleets of vehicles, possibly integrating the Pro functionality with their internal fleet management systems.

The primary features Pro provides for RVs - remote lock/unlock, remote verification of door lock/windows closed, current fuel/DEF level, estimated range, current location, and status of some vehicle functions (starter battery, brakes, brake fluid, coolant and washer fluid).

Mercedes Me provides remote start - which would be very useful for an RV - and isn't provided in Pro.

A big unknown is how much Pro will cost once the free trial periods expire. Software updates are lifetime free. Optimized assistance is only free for 3 years - which provides most of the in vehicle features (mobile hotspot, internet radio, live traffic, fuel prices, map updates, accident/breakdown management, ...). And, Efficient Fleet Management is only free for one year, providing use of the Pro app.

At this point, it's not clear how much Mercedes plans to charge for renewing these services...
Old 11-09-2020, 10:08 AM   #12
2021 View 24D

Alex said they were considering full control of the windows. The gas is also ‘not defined’, so are looking into specifying the type to aid gas station searching. I note that remote unlocking/unlocking does not control the house door. But I like being able to leave my keys inside when I cycle, getting back in with the phone.
fsantore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:13 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Remote lock and unlock does control our house door.

But, Pro doesn't detect if the house door is locked or unlocked.

I was talking with multiple people on the Pro support team - it's also possible they may transition RVs to Mercedes Me at some point, since RVs are closer to consumer passenger vehicles than to commercial vehicles.

I don't yet have enough confidence to rely 100% on the app to unlock the vehicle - so always take my key with. I did encounter one period when the Pro app was offline.