Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-05-2019, 05:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

MB service vs RV dealer service?

Looking for input as to whether folks seeing significant difference between having their Winnebago View on Sprinter 3500 chassis serviced by MB or by Winnebago certified RV facility.

We purchased a 2016 View and copies of service receipts show an oil change and multipoint check was done at 25,000 miles (it now has 33,000 mikes). Doesn’t appear fuel filter or other filters were changed

We live in Mid NJ and have been told that Colonial RV in Lakewood sells and services Winnebago (as well as Airstream and RoadTrek).

Any suggestions or input?
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:37 AM   #2

We have a 2018 View 24J and have had it serviced at Mercedes-Benz of Durham, NC, some 60 miles away. The facility was world class and Denis, the tech who worked on multiple warranty issues, was top notch. We think it best to stick with servicing at MB service departments vs RV dealer service departments. Reason: MB Sprinter technicians work on them every day and most would have much greater experience than RV dealer service tech who, even though MB certified, most likely only works on Sprinters periodically. So, for warranty work and serious problems, we would go to Mercedes-Benz. After the warranty expires, we may do oil changes elsewhere, but still depend on MB techs for other scheduled maintenance. The one problem we have experienced is that not all MB service departments can accommodate an RV in their (low ceiling) service bay. That is why we have to drive to one that can.
SteveD49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:56 AM   #3
Site Team

For engine and drivetrain issues and maintenance you go to MB dealers. If a cabinet door inside breaks go to the Winnebago dealer. Simple. MB repairs the stuff made by MB and Winnebago repairs the stuff made by Winnebago. The “in between” stuff, made by others but installed by Winnebago can be repaired by WBGO or an authorized dealer of the item.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Why go to the MB dealer? You will save $$ if you go to your regular rmechanic.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We use our local ASE certified mechanic for the periodic 10K miles. Fortunately we have not needed MB service dealer. After we remove from winter storage, I will be performing the 70K miles service myself.
It is important to find a good local tire store that can rotate and balance Sprinter wheels.
Tom49Reyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:44 PM   #6
Wheelcrazy

For anything more complicated than an oil change I recommend going to a MB dealer. A fuel filter change is not as easy as it sounds. To flush the brake fluid you need the MB computer hook up to properly cycle and flush the abs pump. As previously stated if it is a house item go to an rv shop if it is chassis related I strongly recommend going to a Sprinter certified shop. Yes they charge more but the Sprinter is a complicated machine and service can be difficult to find if you have a problem while traveling.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Many of the Freighliner truck dealers are Sprinter dealers with large service facilities.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:00 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Take it to a MB store with trained Sprinter techs. The Sprinter service center will have the correct parts, oil, filters and minor parts needed for any job. They also run diagnostics and will update software to keep your baby running great. And there are periodic updates....like Windows 10! there are updates. MB is good about safety recalls.

The fuel filter is a classic example why it is not your DIY or local mechanic job. The OM-642 has had maybe 5 different filters over 8-9 years. They are not interchangeable... Fiters on our '14 are high tech with water in fuel sensor, water drain, several hoses, a heater and special 5 pin connector. They require new special clamps on the high pressure lines. And..... you need to remove the air cleaner to turbo inlet tube to access the filter. You have to replace the turbo adapter sleeve every time you remove the tube. Or, you risk it blowing off when you least expect it and going to limp mode. A Sprinter tech does this job in 45 minutes....

MB continually upgrades replacement parts and you get the updates when you have it serviced or repaired at the dealer.

Oil. MB requires a low Saps oil to protect the emissions system. BEVO spec 229.52 5W30. That or nothing. The dealer has the right oil on the shelf.

Issues, service, repairs, recalls all entered into your vehicle's computerized log book. Accessible by any dealer.

No more pricy than the Toyota dealer right next door in my case.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

The fuel filter replacement is definitely not a DIY project. I will go to the dealer for the 80K service.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

As an independent repair facility - as long as the shop has the MB Factory Scan tool, they can pretty much do anything that dealer can. The tool is expensive and not many places have it right now. Easy preventative maintenance can be done locally, but would recommend taking any major repairs to a Sprinter specific mechanic (that does not necessarily mean the dealership)...it will save you lots of money and probably worth the drive!
262Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:10 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Had a fuel filter fail on I-10 (Sprinter 3500, 2014 Winnebago View) and went into “Limp mode”. Pulled off the highway at the next exit. Two RV repair facilities across the street (what luck!). Both refused to touch the MB engine. Back on the highway to the Baton Rouge MB dealer. They took me in without and appointment, diagnosed the issue, fixed the problem and we were on our way. They also noticed that our driver-side airbag had a recall and replaced it at the same time @ no cost.
Yes, the filter replacement was pricey ($400.00) but it saved our trip and the MB service was great and the facility; immaculate. I can endorse those comments that recommend taking MB issues to an MB certified repair facility.
Schoolhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolhouse View Post
Had a fuel filter fail on I-10 (Sprinter 3500, 2014 Winnebago View) and went into “Limp mode”. Pulled off the highway at the next exit. Two RV repair facilities across the street (what luck!). Both refused to touch the MB engine. Back on the highway to the Baton Rouge MB dealer. They took me in without and appointment, diagnosed the issue, fixed the problem and we were on our way. They also noticed that our driver-side airbag had a recall and replaced it at the same time @ no cost.
Yes, the filter replacement was pricey ($400.00) but it saved our trip and the MB service was great and the facility; immaculate. I can endorse those comments that recommend taking MB issues to an MB certified repair facility.
OFF TOPIC
That must have been real recent. We just received our 2014 passenger airbag recall letter this week and will be taking it in Friday.
The driver airbag was replaced just a few months ago.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Colonial RV

I bought my Navion from Colonial and I can’t say enough nice things about them, but they told us to use Mercedes for all chassis related issues.
lasage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the input
Old 03-21-2019, 08:43 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Fuel filter

I purchased my filter online, the mb dealer wanted $200 for the part. There are three different filters, you must make sure which one u have before ordering. I didn’t change the turbo sleeve hope I don’t have any issue . I watched you tube for instructions. I also used screw type hose clamps for the fuel lines. The mb clamps are a one and done type clamp.
This is a simple job for most handy auto geeks
Mark2416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:03 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Yes, I go to Beverly Hills Mercedes ( yes really) for my 2014 View. Agree with all said regarding superior service. They know what they are doing. Fortunately in California there are Mercedes dealers with specific areas for Sprinters. Even my View can go up the ramp to the mechanic area. Good luck
Pip1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, service