Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-04-2022, 12:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Mattress for View 24D Murphy Bed

Hello, new member here, currently looking at the View model 24D with the Murphy Bed. I'm curious if a queen size Sleep Number mattress would fit within the Murphy Bed opening found in the 24D? My experience with the standard RV mattress is not great.
Johnww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The Murphy beds are usually shorter than a standard queen size. Would love a sleep number also but they would be heavy.
dajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you search the forums, you'll find comments from owners who have put a sleep number bed into their 24D. Because head of the bed folds when the murphy bed is up, they have to deflate the sleep number bed before raising the bed and reinflate when lowering the bed.

We have a sleep number at home - and the stock mattress is clearly not in the same comfort class. We have talked about getting a mattress topper instead, but haven't felt the issue serious enough to do that (so far).

If you're camping full-time in the D, then it might make sense. But if it's for vacations and long weekends, may not be worth the hassle of doing the extra deflate/inflate - plus working out where to house the pump and work out the wiring.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
If you search the forums, you'll find comments from owners who have put a sleep number bed into their 24D. Because head of the bed folds when the murphy bed is up, they have to deflate the sleep number bed before raising the bed and reinflate when lowering the bed.

We have a sleep number at home - and the stock mattress is clearly not in the same comfort class. We have talked about getting a mattress topper instead, but haven't felt the issue serious enough to do that (so far).

If you're camping full-time in the D, then it might make sense. But if it's for vacations and long weekends, may not be worth the hassle of doing the extra deflate/inflate - plus working out where to house the pump and work out the wiring.
Thanks for your reply. We currently have a 5th wheel and was hoping to bring the Sleep Number over to the 24D if we go with this model. We typically go for 2-3 months at a time so I'm not sure the View will work for us.
Johnww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Of the View floor plans, especially if you're going to be living in it for several months, the D provides the most floor space and flexibility for seating, dining and sleeping.

It's much easier to put a topper on the murphy bed (possibly with some adaptation because of the split between the head and the rest of the bed) than to use a sleep number bed that isn't designed for the D.

Besides a topper, another option is to get a replacement RV mattress that is the same size as the stock mattress.

Originally we were looking for an RV with a separate bedroom area - and went with the D floor plan because of the much larger living space during the day, something we've especially appreciated on our longer road trips or when hosting family.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 07:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We went the topper route (2 in) and have been happy so far in limited use. We did have to cut the top 12" or so to match the fold in the Murphy bed, but that has worked okay apart from needing to give the motor a little manual boost when closing. I have heard that 3" toppers don't work and based on my experience I would agree.

I don't think that a Sleep Number is very viable with the weight and extra hassle.
Splaktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I'm looking at a custom mattress from https://www.custommattressfactory.com

They will even make it with a hinge.
MAGNUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 07:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

2022 24D. I went the topper route because of the split folding portion at the top of the stock mattress. I bought mine from Camping World/Gander RV during my 2nd 5 week trip to Florida from NY. It is a Gel foam 1 1/2" and folds up fine in the murphy bed. It comes with a nice fitted cover too! It made a huge difference. No more back aches!
dave5131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 10:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Added 4” of memory foam and 3” bamboo topper. Total is 11 “ including the existing foam mattress. No problem in folding the bed to close. Did not cut anything. Becuase of the extra weight you need to give the motor a hand and do some tucking at the top , but never had a better sleep since
Melabago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 09:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splaktar View Post
We went the topper route (2 in) and have been happy so far in limited use. We did have to cut the top 12" or so to match the fold in the Murphy bed, but that has worked okay apart from needing to give the motor a little manual boost when closing. I have heard that 3" toppers don't work and based on my experience I would agree.
The 2" topper didn't quite get the job done. The mattress was still too firm for us. We went up to a 3" thick queen topper (again, had to cut off about 3" from the bottom). This time, we didn't cut the top 12" though, and it seems to close just as well (need to give a manual boost at the start). Hopefully, it doesn't lead to that part of the topper cracking.

We've yet to give it any significant testing, but we're hoping that it is enough.
Splaktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 04:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

We put a Viscosoft 3" high density gel-infused foam mattress in our 24D. It can be ordered in a "Queen Short" size that requires no cutting or modifications of any kind.

It folds right up with our Queen Short fitted bedding.

We are both very pleased with the comfort, and would highly recommend.

Lots of good reviews and highly rated by Consumer Reports.

https://viscosoft.com/products/three...39670601449569
Idaho Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 08:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGNUS View Post
I'm looking at a custom mattress from https://www.custommattressfactory.com

They will even make it with a hinge.
We have a custom mattress factory hinged mattress in our Murphy bed travel trailer and it is great. Cannot feel the hinge and it is night and day for comfort compared to the factory mattress +4" topper. The people there were very helpful and friendly.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 11:29 AM   #13
rth
Winnebago Camper

We'd like to replace the existing mattress. Adding a topper makes it too tall. How do you get the mattress off the frame? It seems to be velcroed on. I'm thinking get a better foam mattress to fit in the existing cover.
Any suggestions are welcome!!!
rth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:26 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I bought 6 toppers for the aweful factory bed in my 24D. All were 2-4 inches thick. All high quality brands. The Tempurpedic adapt topper was the worst. The best one and the only one I kept was the Brooklyn bedding Titanflex medium firmness topper 3”. My husband is a heavy guy 260 lbs and I am 160 lbs. We both love this topper. We considered a custom mattress but there is no reason anymore. The topper comes in a short queen. Another one we liked was the 3” Viscosoft. It was a higher density topper. We found the Titanflex more comfortable especially for side sleeping than the Viscosoft. Bed goes up and down with no issue. The first couple of times we had to tuck at the top to get shut but now that we have used it several times it goes up and down without any issues. I always help the motor going up but don’t need to.
JessiJean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
view