Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #1
Winnebago owner

Maiden Voyage in 22M

Just a note about how impressed my wife and I , are with our Spirit 22M. We had to fly to the dealer on Vancouver Island to get MH.We RV,ed for 6 nights on the Island,2 nights on the Nanaimo river, 2 nights on the Ocean in Tofino, 2 nights in Victoria harbour. [ you see a theme] and if you haven't been, your missing out. I am happy to report that the experience was even more positive than we expected. Parking the 22M was not bad at all, Costco, whole foods, different venues, the 24' was pretty non eventful .MH had only 1 small issue, has been taken care of and now loading up for next excursion.Another plug : Bouchart Gardens in Victoria........1 word "breathtaking"
Old 05-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Great report! Yes, I believe the ease of parking is the best feature of the 22M. On our second trip, I swung into a Dick's Drive-in in Seattle, and backed into a spot on the side of the restaurant. It raised a few eyebrows, but it worked great! No way you can do that with bigger motorhomes.
The only problem I have with mine is the passenger-side mirror camera gets fuzzy after a half an hour. Something in its electronics is failing due to vehicle time-on. I still need to get into the dealership for warranty repair.
Out of curiosity, what was the one problem that you did have?
Thanks.
Eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
Winnebago owner

Just the Tv in front rm only worked for 24 hrs, but all replaced and good to go. Heading out again Wednesday for 8-9 days , to run 22M thru its paces again. Now looking for Floor mats and seat covers....How has your Minnie 22M been for you, any issues?
Old 05-05-2019, 06:10 PM   #4
Site Team

I found that the upper-birth TV set did NOT readily want to snap-into its locking position, so I just don't do it. I heard on these forums where that upper-birth TV was shattered, but I don't know the cause. Regardless, I'm glad you did get your TV replaced.
Aside from that right-hand mirror camera, everything is great! Just as an FYI, when I did my first oil change at 2,000 miles, I found that my sump took 6¾ quarts, with filter. My local Ford mechanic says that the V-10 takes from 6 to 7 quarts with filter, and to use the full-line on the dip-stick as the ultimate arbiter of determining the correct oil level. My mechanic was also adamant to NOT overfill beyond that full-line.
Below are the seat covers which I ordered, and I really like them. The covers are designed to be dropped-over the head rests, and can thereby be quickly removed and washed, or used only when the need arises. I also did buy two step tread runners, and I believe my dog likes them even better than me! It is an area where one does not wish to slip.
  • For the first step:
  • Prest-O-Fit 5-1093 Decorian Step Huggers For RV Landings Peppercorn Black 8 In. x 23.5 In.
  • For the battery-cover step:
  • Prest-O-Fit 5-3093 Decorian Step Huggers For RV Landings Peppercorn Black 10 In. x 23.5 In.
  • For the driver's & passenger seats:
  • ARIES 3142-18 Seat Defender Universal Seat Cover, Brown 23.5-Inch x 58.25-Inch Bucket Seat
Old 05-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #5
Winnebago owner

Thanks for info on seat covers and mats, its nice when someone has done the due diligence and sourced out items.The oil change info is a great help also. . did you go synthetic on oil ,? in my Sliverado 5.3 it made a difference in smoothing out engine IMHO.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #6
Site Team

On Long-block engine rebuilds, the companies doing them recommend staying on conventional motor oil for the first 5,000 miles, before switching to synthetic oil. Likewise, I believe that it is a good idea for a new engine as well. I did that one change at 2,000, and will switch to synthetic at 5,000 miles, doing oil changes every 5,000 miles thereafter. So far, at 3,400 miles, I cannot see any oil consumption, which is great! Right now, I'm using O'Reilly's 5W-30, which meets Ford's oil specification. I plan to use Mobil One 0W-40 at that 5,000 mile increment. It is a little thinner at 0F, and a little thicker at 212F, so that gives me extra bearing protection. Also, please note that Ford does recommend running Premium Fuel in the V-10, which helps reducing that slight onset of knock. I actually can hear the difference, and I believe the power is ever-so slightly better.
When you are greasing the steering tie-rods, please be advised that one fitting requires that the steering wheel to be precisely aligned straight-ahead, in order to get the grease in there.
I do have my modifications posted here, if you would like to see. Have you tried to cook a pizza in your oven yet?
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/s...earchid=946359
Old 05-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #7
Winnebago owner

Good tips,i haven't experienced any knocking , even coming over mountain pass, V10 performed very good, a slight screamer when downshifting and accelerating.Im still getting used to the transmission downshifting on its own going downhill, at least 2 gears, RPM go thru the roof . I haven't cooked a pizza in oven yet, or even tried it, because we flew to pick up MH for maiden voyage. we only took blankets , towels for that trip. This trip we're all geared up.How did your pizza turn out ,did oven get hot enough? We make our own Pizza at home and I would like the idea of cooking pizza on the road.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
Site Team

The knock sensors & timing retardation are all automatic with the Ford V-10. Keep in mind that the heating value of regular fuel is the same as premium fuel; it is only the un-burned end-gas that resists knock-speed combustion. In other words, as the flame-front moves through the combustion chamber, the un-burned end-gas gets hotter and at a higher pressure. So, premium fuel can go hotter and at a higher pressure without a jump in flame-front speed than does regular gas.
With that said, Ford sets the timing to be optimized for premium, and retards the timing for other fuels with lower Octane ratings. When you can ignite the charge sooner, the expanding hot gases have more time to do work on the piston, and thereby gives you a little more power for the same amount of fuel.
When you are going up steep grades, I recommend that you shut-off Cruise Control. With a gentle application of throttle, and not trying to keep every MPH of speed, most passes just shift to 5th gear, rather than down to 4th.
Regarding the downshifting going down-hill, that only happens when Trailer Tow is switched-on. I use Trailer Tow to supplement my braking, and I love it. Each time you hit the brake, it downshifts (within limits). So, just gently hitting the brake and leaving it applied will not produce that second downshift.
I have been working on my Perfect Pizza, and you can see what I'm doing here:
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...za-354098.html
Still not quite perfect,... yet.
P.S.
Normal flame-front speed is about 500 feet per second
Knocking flame-front speed is supersonic, at about 2,000 feet per second
Old 05-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #9
Minnie Winnie 22m owner

We love our 22M!

Great to hear we aren't the only ones that love our (2019 Minnie Winnie) 22M! Our maiden voyage (other than our drive home from the dealer) was a 3 week, 3600 mile Utah/Arizona adventure in April. We were extremely pleased with the stability, ease of driving, noise level, power and comfort. The only downside was gas mileage, but that goes with the territory when you're hauling your temporary home around. Thanks for sharing some product ideas as well. I've been looking for seat covers and will order those now. I'll add a couple product suggestions that we are very pleased with:

1-Windshield privacy cover: Eevelle Expedition RV Windshield Cover for
Class C RV, White (Ford)
2-Organizer for entry (glasses, hats, gloves, etc): Delta Children 4 Pocket
Over The Door Hanging Organizer, Beige
3-Replaced the factory vents with: Fan-Tastic Vent RV Roof Vent with
Thermostat and Rain Sensor, Manual and Automatic Speeds 12 Volt
RV Vent Fan, Smoke Dome RV Vent Cover - Model 7350 - White

We had a couple little issues that were fixed...back tail light that kept burning out (wasn't sealed and every time it rained it filled with water) and grey water valve that wouldn't seal completely. So far, so good. Ready to take it out again soon!
Happytrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hey new owners here also, flew to NC to pick up in late Nov going toss soon, can you share the floor Matt's you got and how well they fit? I've added 3 vent covers max air, insect covers, windshield privacy covers which I have 4 to sell, added carpet to entry steps held with velcro, got front end aligned make lots of difference, went with ford full synthetic at 2700 miles, love it so far, also linking all drawers, cabnets,etc with rubber lining really quited things down.
kcscriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Hey does any of you 2018 ,2019 22m owners know where the air conditioner condensate drains to, mine drains on roof, just wondering if that is where it's supposed to go, thanks.
kcscriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

G&L J

New to this group. Just put deposit on new 2019 Spirit 22m. Advice welcome.
lauriejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #13
Winnebago owner

Sorry it took so long to reply but you have made a wise choice. Wife and I just came back from another journey and still zero problems. 22M layout works for us.
Cant say enough about the power, and handling of Ford 350, and winnebago quality control.
Advise: 1- Pay attention at walk thru
2- Get a sewer hose that comes with separate rings that fits in bumper/
3- dont slam top bunk TV into wall attachments as I was shown, attachment pin can be pull down and locked into position.
4- get an indoor out door carpet with rubber back to cut around dog house an for floor mats. Our is black with some white speckles, had enough to do all front and two steps entering RV. REALLY cuts down on noise in front.
5- make sure your propane part of fridge has been properly bled, so fridge works on automatic
6- ENJOY
Old 07-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #14
Winnebago owner

quick reply to floor mats and seat covers

I got the 6 ft x 6 ft piece of outdoor carpet from a carpet store.....Rubber backed
as for seat covers ,mine just came in from Ford , will let u know about fit....but local Ford dealer found them.
The carpet I got is good and thick , stays locked in place, I cut it with new blade in my box cutter. I cut main piece infront of dog house first [ biggest piece ]
then cut each floor mat out. just enough material.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:31 AM   #15
Winnebago owner

condensate drain question- reply

Furnace in 22M RV is a down flow .....with that said condensate probably comes out thru floor to ground . [ 1/2 hose ] but I didn't look .....because i'm a HVAC contractor, and it works,, im not looking to fix yet or maintain....maybe in Spring next year I will clean.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:10 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcscriv View Post
Hey does any of you 2018 ,2019 22m owners know where the air conditioner condensate drains to, mine drains on roof, just wondering if that is where it's supposed to go, thanks.
Pretty much all RVs except for high end motor coaches that I've seen just drain condensate onto roof and it runs off onto the lowest corner. With flat roof RVs like the MW, it can puddle if you are extremely level. It will run off when you start moving.
blifsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
voyage