Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2018, 05:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Maiden voyage and tons of questions

So I'm totally new to this whole RV thing. We just purchased a 2019 Outlook and took it on our first long getaway. We traveled from Florida to North Carolina. We enjoyed ourselves but I have tons of questions:

1. It poured down rain all day on Friday. We were at our campsite but not exactly level. Water began coming in at the bottom of the slide and soaked the queen mattress on the sides. Is this normal with heavy rains and not being level. And yes, the water followed the direction of our tilt.

2. How long of a hose do you travel with?

3. Our campsite stated it had water but upon arrival, we learned that we had to share with the site next to us and the water was basically on their site. We needed a splitter and our hose wasn't long enough. Does that happen a lot? We found it strange that the campsite wouldn't state that. Oh, we were the only site that had to share from what I could tell.

4. Fridge runs on electric only. But it seemed to build up condensation on the back wall. Why?

5. On the way home, we turned on the inverter to run the fridge but it didn't really seem to stay cool. Is that typical?

6. Our coach battery disconnect switch is right by the door and we must have tripped it several times without realizing it until something didn't work. Any way to prevent it as it is really at hip height and I don't see this as something to avoid in the future.

7. What is the best navigation system for RV? We had a lot of trouble finding spots to camp while on the road using google maps or internet searches.

8. The skylight/ fans in the roof rattle quite a bit and seem a bit cheap. Is there an upgrade any of you would suggest?

9. We had to turn on the furnace but it really smelled like propane. We weren't sure if it was because we were not level or if that is just the way they run.

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Heyheyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Comments below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyheyjj View Post
So I'm totally new to this whole RV thing. We just purchased a 2019 Outlook and took it on our first long getaway. We traveled from Florida to North Carolina. We enjoyed ourselves but I have tons of questions:

1. It poured down rain all day on Friday. We were at our campsite but not exactly level. Water began coming in at the bottom of the slide and soaked the queen mattress on the sides. Is this normal with heavy rains and not being level. And yes, the water followed the direction of our tilt.

Yes RV's are pretty simply made no redundant water channeling. Also level is key for absorption (propane) refrigerators.

I'm assuming you are talking about water. I carry two 25' hoses.

3. Our campsite stated it had water but upon arrival, we learned that we had to share with the site next to us and the water was basically on their site. We needed a splitter and our hose wasn't long enough. Does that happen a lot? We found it strange that the campsite wouldn't state that. Oh, we were the only site that had to share from what I could tell.

You just got lucky but that is why I carry two. I haven't gotten a wye as of yet. Our friends have a water weenie for state hose bibs so they can fill their tank if needed.

4. Fridge runs on electric only. But it seemed to build up condensation on the back wall. Why?

Condensation occurs from moisture in air (humidity) hitting a surface cooler or equal to dew point.

5. On the way home, we turned on the inverter to run the fridge but it didn't really seem to stay cool. Is that typical?

Not sure but if the inverter was running (proper input voltage) but most times only specific outlets are on it. Verify the fridge is one of those.

6. Our coach battery disconnect switch is right by the door and we must have tripped it several times without realizing it until something didn't work. Any way to prevent it as it is really at hip height and I don't see this as something to avoid in the future.

I'm not sure without seeing it. However it should take some effort or you might be able to get a switch with a safety you lift up before it will change.

7. What is the best navigation system for RV? We had a lot of trouble finding spots to camp while on the road using google maps or internet searches.

I use the app Allstays and freecampsites.net to zero in on a spot.

8. The skylight/ fans in the roof rattle quite a bit and seem a bit cheap. Is there an upgrade any of you would suggest?

No Comment they are cheap and sizes vary so much.

9. We had to turn on the furnace but it really smelled like propane. We weren't sure if it was because we were not level or if that is just the way they run.

You should not smell propane but you should have a detector from the factory. A furnace when first started after sitting unused will stink from the dust or even oil used in production of making the heat exchanger.

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:22 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I'll jast add to the previous comments.

Look into a Fantastic or Maxxair fan. Surprised at leeast one of your isn't one of these.

There should be no water intrusion. Period. Why didn't you level your rig???

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The fridges take FOREVER to cool. Don’t know why, but it can take days to get to a proper cooling temp. Also, if u put too much hot or air temp foods in at once it will cause your fridge temp to drop suddenly.

Preplan your rv stops and camp sites...make reservations every time. Check ahead what the hookups will entail.

Use your instruction manual about operating slides. I know mine says it must be leveled first...then use slide out. I imagine failure to do so on mine will put unreasonable stress on the slide motor and components.

My propane furnace I do NOT smell any propane. I would have your furnace vent inspected ASAP. Now you might smell some “burning” which would be materials burning off the flame/ignition area (think the first time u kick on your home furnace there is a distinct smell). But absolutely no gas odor. The only way that would happen is if unburned fuel is leaking into the cabin space.
McTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:17 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Camping sites to look at:

Allstays
campgroundreviews.com
rvparky.com
campendium.com

There are numerous sites that we all use. Depends so much on th type of cg you are looking for. Allstays is a good starting point. There is not one site that is has all cgs nor do all cgs show up anyplace other than when you are driving down the road.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 11-01-2018, 07:58 AM   #6
Site Team

1. No it’s not normal to have water leak in your RV due to rain or anything else. Also you should level before extending slides. Not because of leaks but for the operation of the slide.

2. We carry a 35’ hose and a backup 25’ hose. Also buy a hose pressure regulator to attach to the campground’s water spicket before attaching a hose. Some CGs have too much pressure for you RV’s plumbing to handle.

3. In 20-years we’ve never had to share a water connection at a campground.

4. & 5. I’m not sure why your fridge isn’t cooling well or staying cool. You said it runs on electricity only. Is it 110v or 12v? This is something other Outlook owners will have to chime in on.

6. Unusual... again, other Outlook owners should chime in on this.

7. Garmin and Rand McNally both make RV specific GPS units. Take your pick. I have the Rand McNally built into my RV and like it. Others seem to like Garmin better. A 7” screen RV GPS costs about $300. We use www.campgroundreviews.com to plan camping spots.

8. An upgrade to your vents would be a MaxxAir or Fantastic Fan. To deal with your current vents buy a furry foam vent “pillow” at an RV supply store. It’s square and about 4” thick it fits in the vent cutout inside and insulates the vent and quiets it when traveling. If you keep the stock vent fans or even if you upgrade get external vent covers installed. The plastic on stock vents cracks/breaks easily and that causes them to leak.

9. A new furnace can smell the first few times it’s used. Nothing unusual about that. It can smell similar to gas BUT it shouldn’t smell strongly of propane and it should go away quickly and not smell at all after a few uses. If you store the RV for a while and then take it out of storage and then use the furnace it might smell again the first time you use it.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I carry two electrical cords but only one 25' water hose. Our assumption is that we generally carry enough water in our fresh water tank and if the water outlet is too far away we can just use our own water for that day. However if you plan to use the onboard shower you probably need a second hose.

In perhaps 15 years of camping I have only seen that happen once, and that was in Mexico. It is definitely not common

Do you have the large DC only refrigerator? It has a large freezer with 2 shelves and runs only on DC. If so you do not need to turn the inverter on to run that refrigerator as the inverter converts battery DC to AC and your fridge only uses DC.

As for condensation, are you sure the doors closed tightly enough? We had an issue with frost in the freezer only to find that the freezer door was not fully closed. That is, the door could be opened without using the release latch. That is not normal and it is on the list for warranty repair but until then we just push really had to make sure it is properly closed and latched.

If it is like ours it has to be pressed completely down on the OFF side. You might take something small like a toothpick and place it under the OFF side of the switch using Scotch tape or equivalent to keep it from falling. Then the rocker switch would not be able to turn off until the toothpick (or equivalent) was removed.

Does your system not come with the Ford gps unit? It has a list of RV parks already stored in it. We use it and Google to find campsites, and we do some basic checking for available locations before we leave, assuming we know what our trip will look like.

We use a small ceramic heater that we bought years ago. We tried using the propane heater but it was far too noisy for us, so we never used it again.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Did you ask your neighbor if he had a Y? Most rvers are friendly people. Are you towing a toad, you could have run out and bought a Y.

Your refrig should work the same as your home refirg, it is a residential refrig according to Winn. Did you cool down the refrig before loading it up. Did the refrig work OK in your driveway when you checked everything out? Did you not have the inverter on when you were driving to your location. Why did you have your inverter off? It doesn't just run the refrigerator but other things also(like charge the batteries, at least ours does).

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 11-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Your refrig should work the same as your home refirg, it is a residential refrig according to Winn. Did you cool down the refrig before loading it up. Did the refrig work OK in your driveway when you checked everything out? Did you not have the inverter on when you were driving to your location. Why did you have your inverter off? It doesn't just run the refrigerator but other things also(like charge the batteries, at least ours does).
Our refrigerator cooled down very, very quickly. We were used to our old 3 way fridge in our Class B RV and that took half the day to cool down, so we hooked up the power in our driveway and turned the fridge in the morning of the day before we left. It was cold in 2 hours. Not cool, cold.

As for the inverter, I think you are wrong. I believe the OP has one of the DC refrigerators that work directly on power from the battery and I am pretty sure there is no need for the inverter to be on unless you want to run something on AC. That was also true for the 3 way fridge on our old RV as well. In fact there is nothing in our RV that requires the inverter except for the TV and DVD player and, if we want, for some AC power to charge some of our camera batteries. The USB ports work on DC, not AC.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

According to the specs on the Winnie site the 2019 Outlook has a residential refrig. Since the OP has not come back I need to go by the specs on the site.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 11-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for your input. I was told that we had to have the inverter on while driving to keep cool. We were initially impressed at how quickly it cooled. But on the way home we had the inverter on and I'm not sure it worked at all. Everything was lukewarm. So I'm not sure if I did something wrong.

It didn't matter if we had a splitter as our hose wasn't long enough. But we had enough water in the tank to get us by.

Our Outlook is 22 foot and everyone, including salesmen, said sites are level and our coach is so small we didn't have to worry about levelers. Of course this site wasn't level. I'm thinking we ended up at a "bad" campground.
Heyheyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Never, never, never trust a salesman or anyone related to a rv retail location. They probably have never been camping.

It is rare that a site is perfectly level, if your rig doesnt have levelrsget some boards cut so you can level your rig and put some levels on the outside so you can tell when you are level.

Next time you will know to check campgroundreviews.com before you try a campground.

You are in for a big learning curve.

I would also keep your inverter on all the time, no reason to turn it off.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 11-01-2018, 05:26 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Our Outlook is 22 foot and everyone, including salesmen, said sites are level and our coach is so small we didn't have to worry about levelers. Of course this site wasn't level. I'm thinking we ended up at a "bad" campground.
We have rarely been at a site that was truly level. We use leveling blocks and use them whenever we are out of level enough to be noticeable. You should not assume that just because a site is not level that you were at a "bad" campground.

We camp at a lot of State and US campgrounds and most of them are very, very nice, but most are also not level. Look into leveling blocks - they are an inexpensive and easy way to level your RV, but try to make sure you get some that will last. The ones we bought at CampingWorld did not last us a month before they cracked and we were using a small Class B van motorhome.

We got these from Amazon 3 1/2 years ago and are still using them and just ordered some more because our Fuse is a dual wheel RV.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-01-2018, 06:15 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

My 2016 27Q has a propane detector as standard equipment. I'd like to think Winnebago would be putting them in all their coaches. Its mounted low to the floor across from the galley/fridge/furnace area where propane would tend to pool in case of a significant leak. As others have implied, I'd sooner suspect the furnace is burning off some kind of impurities such as production lubricants and/or dirt and dust that tends to get into everything.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:24 PM   #15
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Quote:
First of all, let me welcome you to the community of RV enthusiasts!

I tried using those leveling blocks at first and the first rainstorm convinced me that hydraulic levelers are the way to go. I don't know if you can get them for your rig. I have a class C that did not have factory installed levelers. I had a Bigfoot leveling system installed at the factory and I tell you, although expensive, they are worth every penny. But I have been on sites that were so bad that the levelers maxed out before I could get a perfect level. A pretty good level is okay in that the propane fridge worked okay and we didn't feel like we were standing on our heads in the bed, which is really all you need.

As for your other challenges, well, they're all sort of normal and you will quickly learn to adapt and make the necessary adjustments. Many of the camp site issues are minimized (not eliminated) by going to the "higher priced" RV parks and likely increase when going to many of the state and national parks. It's all part of the experience of getting out and seeing the country, the whole country, by getting off the interstates.

I too had leaks in my brand new MH. It was quite aggravating and the service center (not where I bought it, as I flew across the country to purchase it) attempted, but did not fix the leaks. I ended up doing my own repair work. If you are handy I recommend that you do what you can comfortably handle and not just drop it off at the nearest repair facility, where the wait lists are typically huge. You want to use your MH, right? And not park it in the service center parking lot?

Best wishes and happy RVing.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Not sure how much out of level you were, but yes that could be the problem.

Quote:
We carry 2 25' water hoses with a Y; thee sewer hoses, totally about 30' and a 30' power cord with a 30' extension.

Quote:
We always travel prepared for the unexpected. We always carry at least 1/2 tank of fresh water to cover issues.

Quote:
Get out the owner's manal to understand what power sources it can use. Options include at least; 120 volt only, 12 volt only, 120 volt or propane, or 120 volt, 12 volt or propane.

Quote:
The frig in both of RVs are 120 volt or propane. Only real problem we have is keeping them freezing everything. Run them on a #3 or #4 temperature setting, It makes hard ice and keeps ice cream just fine. Will freeze up like 20 lbs of fresh meat.

Quote:
The disconnect switch in our Minnie is a rotary type, nut a toggle switch so its very hard knock it to off. Like already suggested look into a switch cover for it.

Quote:
We use many different information sources, books, web searches and on-line camp site apps.

Quote:
As suggested replace that cheap fan with either a Maxair or Fantistic fan, both are good units. You may want to use more than one of these. Keep in mind what comes on an RV from the lot in most cases is the cheaper solution to most things. Its a price point world out there.

Quote:
You should NEVER smell propane inside! Are you sure it was propane and not just oil or dust burning off as others suggested? All RVs are required to have a propane detector installed. Keep in mind these detectors have like a five to seven year max life before needing replacement. The green light on it only means it has power. It may or may not function. I carry a hand held electronic propane detector that I can test for leaks. Things like hoses, regulators etc do fail, even brand new ones.

Good luck and come back here if/when you have more questions.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Air leak around the door seal most likely. If yours is a Norcold, like ours, neither door fit properly from the factory without some additional (user) adjustment.

Quote:

I'm not sure about that one. I suspect your fridge is connected to your coach batteries, either directly, or through the fused/breaker panel, and circumvents the inverter. I believe our Navion's Norcold DC0061 avoids the inverter. I have checked the wiring and am pretty certain it uses the DC only power source cable located on the top of the fridge behind the venting. I'm not saying for sure yours is the same as ours, but Winnebago seems to repeat certain designs across platforms.

Quote:

If your fridge runs directly off the batteries, and the coach battery enable switch was "toggled" regularly, that might explain the cooling/condensation problems.

Quote:

Garmin nuvi standalone GPS, with up to date (lifetime) maps/traffic. Add some campground POI files manually, or just search the 6 million POIs that come with it. You're bound to find something. We always do, if we're stumped.

Hope this helps? Just my 2 cents.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

In regard to your slide leaks, make sure that all seals are functioning properly and maybe apply some spray slide seal lube to them. If the leak is only on one side of the slide, compare the seals on the two sides for any irregularities. If part of one get's twisted wrong, things can leak. In checking this, remember that water runs downhill. Also, consider slide toppers if you don't have them.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Brand New Outlook

We just bought a new Outlook as well. The battery disconnect is in a bad spot, but we kind of got used to not bumping it. I will likely look for a small plastic cover we can put over it at some point.

If your fridge isn't working off the inverter, make sure it is plugged in. The outlet center for the inverter is under the bottom drawer under the range. Ours cools instantly on the inverter. It is not an auto defrost fridge though, so condensation and frost will occur occasionally.

Our heater smelled "new" for a few days, but not like propane. That is something you should get checked as a warranty problem. There is both a propane detector and a CO detector in the unit, so make sure they are working.

The roof vents do rattle a little bit. I will likely upgrade at some point, or at least put a thicker foam seal around them so they sit tighter.

Id love to hear more about your new palace on wheels if you want to chat!!
Discodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

My DH kept turning off the wrong switch by the door we ended up cutting up a milk jug and putting a piece of plastic over the switches he kept turning off. No reason to spend any money if you don;t need to.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y

Tags
voyage