Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-25-2021, 05:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Leaks in ‘91 Winnebago Warrior (Toyota)

I need advice on how to fix leaks. We have practically had to redo our 91 Winnebago Warrior this winter because of one leak after another. Just when we were thinking we had all them taking care of we decided to air all cushions before our spring plans for a trip and low behold we discovered the area under our loft bed totally saturated and wood rotting. Have not discovered where leak came from yet but would like info if anyone experienced this problem and suggestions on how to redo loft area? Thanks for help and prayers, we are about ready to throw in the towels :(
elynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:41 AM   #2
Site Team

I’m afraid there are no easy or inexpensive answers to your questions. Most likely you will need to have the old roof completely replaced if it’s been leaking in many places for a number of years.

Watch the YouTube video channel of AZ EXPERT. He has videos on how he replaces Winnebago roofs and fixes leaks. This will give you an idea of what’s involved.

Hope this all helps. A little.

PS. In the past you posted your question in a blog post (not the forum) and in other people’s threads on roof topics. So I moved your latest post here, into its own thread
Old 02-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

leaks

thanks for advice. It is a 91 warrior, sorry for confusion.
elynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:26 PM   #4
Site Team

There are many different "band-aid" style roof repairs. Some folks paint on a coating, or they spray on a rubber roof coating. These might work but the difficult/expensive part is taking everything off of the roof - vents, A/C, Skylights, Ladder, etc - and removing all the caulking before the application of the coating.

Even then it's really a band-aid and probably not a long term fix. The long term fix is to remove everything from the roof and then peel off the roof material. WBGO uses Filon now and has for years. I would guess your roof is Filon but there is no telling on a 30 year old RV that's been discontinued for quite some time. If not Filon it could be rubber membrane or EPDM membrane.

After the roofing material is totally removed you can survey the Luan Plywood underlayment for water damage. Some or all of that might need to be removed and replaced.

Lastly, then new roofing material Filon or membrane is glued to the plywood and the edges sealed. Then everything removed from the roof needs to be reinstalled and properly caulked to prevent further leaks.

If this sounds difficult or expensive that's because it is. Which is why many try to take a shortcut and put on a roof coating as a band-aid.

I've seen estimates of $4000 to $18,000 on larger RVs than yours. And, after watching a number of YouTube videos on the process I know it's not something that a DIYer would be capable of undertaking without difficulty.

Even after your roof leak is fixed there is the water damage in the walls, furniture and upholstery still to deal with.

I'm just trying to be honest with you. As I said earlier, not an easy or inexpensive problem to fix. If you are not moving around and can manage it put a tarp over the top of the RV or some other cover to keep things from getting even worse.

Tags
winnebago, leak, leaks