Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2022, 04:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Late Model View Potential Leaks

While working on my new SeeLevel sensor install, I noticed that Winnebago used 3" Neoprene fittings to connect the grey and black tanks to the ABS drain lines. My neoprene fittings are cracked, in many places, and the black fitting is leaking. I will need to pull apart the entire ABS drain line to replace these neoprene fittings.

I hope to replace the originals with the type that are wrapped in stainless steel. These will offer some protection from the weather and road debris.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-P...0-33/100372287

My rig is a 2019, just 3 years old. I suggest checking yours. The original fittings are doomed to fail.
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:18 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney View Post
While working on my new SeeLevel sensor install, I noticed that Winnebago used 3" Neoprene fittings to connect the grey and black tanks to the ABS drain lines. My neoprene fittings are cracked, in many places, and the black fitting is leaking. I will need to pull apart the entire ABS drain line to replace these neoprene fittings.

I hope to replace the originals with the type that are wrapped in stainless steel. These will offer some protection from the weather and road debris.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-P...0-33/100372287

My rig is a 2019, just 3 years old. I suggest checking yours. The original fittings are doomed to fail.
Good observation. Mine were cracked the first day I got my new 2020 24D. I replaced them during my macerator install. The rubber compound must be very low quality. I replaced mine but not with one with the metal cover like you have. That's a great idea. I noticed when I replaced mine that the new piece had a softer rubber compound than the OEM.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yesterday, I replaced the original fittings with the Home Depot type. It was not easy, as both valves had to be removed also. After several hours, the valves were cleaned up and the new fittings were in place. Looks like these should last a long time.

The old fitting, on the black tank, had a full tear around 1/3 of its circumference. I have no doubt it would have completely torn away, in the near future, dumping the black tank contents at a most unexpected time.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have 2018 View 24J mine are fine.
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We. have a 2020 Navion 24V that uses a single 3-4" hose clamp as the only support for the entire ABS dump valve and macerator hose--no pipe or strap hangers connected to the frame at all. My Neoprene fitting is in good shape, but last August the ABS valve fell out of that Neoprene connection when I tried to unscrew the cap. The entire contents of a half-full black tank spilled all over the concrete pad of the dump station, as well as covered most of me from the waist down. Apparently the screw on the hose clamp had loosened on some of our Colorado mountain roads and was just waiting for a good twist to pull it completely out of the Neoprene. Needless to say, after cleaning up the mess, I immediately began looking for a pipe hanger at Home Depot and Lowe's. When I couldn't find one the right size, I made my own hanger using perforated steel pipe strap. The 1/2" wide strap perfectly fit a groove located directly behind the cap on the ABS dump valve assembly. We took a week-long, 1 ,000-mile trip two weeks later and had no more problems with the dump assembly.

I would strongly recommend that all View/Navion owners check their dump systems for correctly installed pipe hangers. If none exist, install one!
Old 01-24-2022, 02:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My 2019 24D is the same way. I do not have a macerator and there is nothing holding the ABS pipe in place, except for the two neoprene fittings. If the fittings slip off, or tear off, you will lose all of the ABS pipe fittings and the contents of both tanks.

Tags
leak, leaks, view