Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #1
Willow Rider

Kwikee Steps Issue

This is about the entry steps not extending on a 2021 View 24D with 8,000 miles behind it purchased new October 2020. There’ve been previous problems with the door, one with the door opening seal not sealing, the other with the door not unlocking with the remote key fob. I fixed the first with some seat‑of‑the*‑pants adjustments to the two latches. The second required some micro adjustments to the 2‑pin connection in the hinge side of the door and door jam.

The stuck steps have me stumped. There’s no partial movement, like Slinky57 experienced earlier this year. The steps worked fine a couple weeks ago. Since then, the View has had the windshield replaced, which required the electronics to be recalibrated by the local Sprinter dealer, who has the Sprinter service contract with the local M‑B dealer (an odd and not RV owner favorable arrangement as the Sprinter dealer focuses on contract services with commercial Sprinter fleets, not RVs). When we got the View home and opened the coach door, nothing. The steps stayed retracted. We detected no noise, no humming or clicking or crunching. We ran through every combination we could imagine of ignition key setting, engine off, engine on, coach battery off, coach battery on, step switch on, step switch off. I found the circuit breakers for the step switch and step power (in a panel on the side of the base of the passenger seat), and neither one was “popped,” indicating no issue there.

A general search here unearths very little. Still, I thought I’d post this to see how unique our issue might be. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Steps not working.

You might try YouTube. There are several trouble shooting videos on this subject. Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:06 PM   #3
Willow Rider

I did and found some interesting and I hope helpful additional details to what was in the Slinky57 thread. One thing for sure: this is not an uncommon problem, something that's both comforting and not so comforting. Thanks for the suggestion. Here's hoping.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Can you pull the steps out and then try the door close and open again. I had that problem years ago and it was a mater of motor sync. I don't remember the specifics but it won't hurt to give it a try.

Also, climb under and see if any debris is clogging the gear(s) on the ratchet that opens and closes the steps. Since the steps are electronically current limiting, anything can cause it to not function if debris is present.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 04:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Since steps are hanging out in a really bad place for all kinds of water, corrosion can be easy to give us fits and then the action of steps is a very much more complex thing than just a simple battery and ground operation as there are so many safety items built in.

That leaves me doing two things. First looking for anything obvious on bad connections and then going online with the exact model numbers I have and looking for a really indepth troubleshooting chart to follow as it is really not a place where I can guess what they expect it to do!
Old 12-11-2021, 05:28 PM   #6
Willow Rider

I tried pulling on the steps. Not a hint of give. Then again, I'm no Charles Atlas.

I did, however, get them operating. Following suggestions from other threads here and a couple youtubes, the first thing I did was crawl underneath and staying clear of the steps, tapped on the motor several times with the handle of a large rubber mallet and pushed/pulled on the external gear mechanism. Then I took the plastic caps off the two elements of the reed switch in the door jamb. I wiped the caps and the internals several times to make sure they were clean. I also did a quick tighten (they were not loose, but just in case) of the connections inside the door part of the switch. Flipped the step switch and success! I repeated many, many times and so far, so good.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Happy to hear you fixed the steps!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee, steps