Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Keep rear view camera on?

Hi All, just getting going on a new 2019 View. Wanted to see if anybody has found a way to keep the rear view camera open. I have a bike rack that I cannot see from the mirrors and would like to keep an eye on it.

Thanks
JTMetzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMetzger View Post
Hi All, just getting going on a new 2019 View. Wanted to see if anybody has found a way to keep the rear view camera open. I have a bike rack that I cannot see from the mirrors and would like to keep an eye on it.

Thanks

Some rear cameras are adjustable and the monitor can be switched to stay on all the time. My system is like that, but I'm sure other systems may not have that flexibility.

This would be a good time to dive into your owners manuals to see what your system capabilities are.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Thanks
As the other reply states, RTM. Or fiddle with it until you figure it out.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I called MB after discussing this issue with Winnebago..."safety issue". MB won't allow the camera to come on past about 15mph (2020 view with MBUX entertainment system).

Makes no sense as it would be a substitute for not being able to see out the back window via the rear view mirror.....

Best,

Dave
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:57 PM   #5
Site Team

Yes, I agree. Whoever designed that “safety” feature must not have a motor home. Every RV I’ve owned has been able to keep the rear camera on while driving, and it’s really useful. I can understand disabling a DVD video, but not the rear view camera. Oh well...
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:22 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Rear Camera on while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
I called MB after discussing this issue with Winnebago..."safety issue". MB won't allow the camera to come on past about 15mph (2020 view with MBUX entertainment system).

Makes no sense as it would be a substitute for not being able to see out the back window via the rear view mirror.....

Best,

Dave
That is nuts. You can look while driving at a GPS, but not a rear view like a mirror?

It probably fell under the law that currently disallows being able to watch a movie on the front screen while driving.

Ours allows it, and I use it to see who is tailgating me, or simply behind me before I make a lane change.

What’s next! No side view cameras either? There must be a work-around...
Old 05-17-2020, 04:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2016 View. I can select/activate my camera from my nav station when I am underway to watch my bike rack or my toad. Stays on as long as I want it to.
Hatrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2019 Outlook and can switch to rear camera view on our radio. We used it on our last trip after installing a bike rack to transport our 2 e-bikes. We checked the rack several times during our trip then switched back to radio when we saw the rack was keeping the backs steady.
GJOoutlook31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Join the FB group for View/Navion owners. Awesome group that will have the answer if it is doable.
musicmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:42 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Someone ought to post this on the Owners forum if that is true and the rear camera is disabled. Not having it on is a safety issue. We had an issue with our van several years ago and saw it with the camera also it comes in handy when changing lanes. I would call Winnies tec support and double check.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmaiden View Post
Join the FB group for View/Navion owners. Awesome group that will have the answer if it is doable.
Concur; most of the lore uncovered indicates you either get a separate back up camera that operates on Bluetooth to your smartphone (getting power to the camera is the involved part- not sure of costs) or “just” replace the in-dash unit with a different one that will use your existing camera plus includes all the new bells and whistles (like Apple CarPlay); probably installation cost will be around $300 plus the unit ($300-$1200).
Old 05-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

My 2008 view camera can be turned on whenever.
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:14 PM   #13
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Thanks
You state 2019 year model; I have the 2019 View but it is on a 2017 MBS chassis, prior to the major changes with both MBS and Winnebago. If you have the classic style MBS chassis with the Riverpark infotainment, then you can go into the personal setting and make the rear camera work from the FAV button. I can easily switch from GPS/Music or rear camera by operation of the menu buttons. Note that you can change the FAV button to any other feature of the infotainment but the camera is one of the most used for me and the other common operations already have assigned buttons on the menu.

If your chassis is a newer style 2019 MBS, I don't have any experience with the MBUX unit. You could always have a separate monitor installed.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:46 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I would certainly make a way or have someone to make a way to have the camera on while driving in either direction. A long while back, I didn't have mine on and didn't know my toad had two front tires that had already come apart. Nice people came up beside me and indicated to me then got out of my way and allowed me to get off the interstate. I now ride with it on always.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:52 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2018 view with the Parkview gps./backup camera and radio. Pull up the screen that shows the various functions and tap the camera icon. It will stay on. I watch my boat and bicycles as we drive down the road. When the camera is on, tap the top of the screen and you get normal, wide angle, and trailer hitch modes. Our old view had a speaker attached to the camera and the 2018 does not as far as I can tell. Does your camera have an external speaker? I think we should be able to hear behind the view when the camera is on but ours may be turned off. We have had nothing but problems with our screen. It freezes, rolls, shuts off, etc and was never fixed after the parts being replaced 2 or 3 times and numerous card changes. We are continually rebooting it. I have talked to other view owners with the same problems.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:26 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2020 View with the new chassis and have the same issue with the rear camera not staying on. The dealer was no help and acted surprised at my issue....yah, right.
I think there would be a way to fake the MB system into thinking the coach was in reverse but i chose an easier fix, a second wireless camera that gets power from the roof mounted running lights, and a dash mounted monitor. Crazy to spend $100K+ and then add a DIY fix but that my friends is the story of owning a motorhome. I agree, it is okay to watch the GPS but not to see if your car is still attached behind the coach. Duh!!!
peoriacab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #17
Site Team

This has been asked here before and if I recall the response was that this is a Mercedes / DOT requirement on Sprinter Vans (all cars with back up cameras, too). I know people have looked for a solution, but I've not seen anyone successful in making this work without adding an additional camera and dash monitor.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:13 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

You need to change the power lead to the monitor from the the rear brake light to a hot when key is on. To find the hot wire I pulled the monitor from dash to trace it. You tube will show you how to remove radio. Make sure your new power source is fused.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:40 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for your reply but I have a question. Would you replace the brake light lead to a hot wire on the radio or would you replace the backup light lead to the radio with a hot wire? It seems to me that you would want the radio to always think you are in a back-up mode.
peoriacab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:10 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

The wire that feeds the monitor is the only one you want to move to a hot when key is on. Then whenever you press system camera will display. If you pull the monitor out to trace the wires you will make sure that is the only one to move. It is different then the power for the radio.

Tags
camera