Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-08-2020, 05:19 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

has anyone tried a wireless backup/rearview camera with a clip-on or replacement of the rear view mirror?

I hate to try to run wires the length of the view. In the alternative, I guess a suction mounted rear camera on the inside of the rear window.....

I have asked my MB dealer to check into it when I took the View to them for a brake line routing recall. He said it was a no-go from MB.

Looking for an easy solution that doesn't require an extra monitor.

woe is me.
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
has anyone tried a wireless backup/rearview camera with a clip-on or replacement of the rear view mirror?

I hate to try to run wires the length of the view. In the alternative, I guess a suction mounted rear camera on the inside of the rear window.....

I have asked my MB dealer to check into it when I took the View to them for a brake line routing recall. He said it was a no-go from MB.

Looking for an easy solution that doesn't require an extra monitor.

woe is me.
Did your View come with a rear view mirror? If not could you get an aftermarket mirror and glue it to your windshield and get a wireless camera and clip the monitor on it?
Old 06-08-2020, 08:32 PM   #23
Gil
Winnebago Watcher

2020 Mirco Mine 5th wheel. mine only turns on with my light switch because it gets it power from the trailer running lights.
Gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:28 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
Did your View come with a rear view mirror? If not could you get an aftermarket mirror and glue it to your windshield and get a wireless camera and clip the monitor on it?
Yes. It came with a rear view mirror. that's why I was thinking I could get a monitor that clips onto/over it. Just want to be able to see out the back. The MBUX system, nice though it is, doesn't allow for turning on the rear view above about 15 mph.

My Jeep DOES allow for this very thing. you can push the rear cam icon on the screen and It will stay on for about 20 seconds while driving, which is really all I need, but, Like the MB service writer said, "you're lucky to have cup holders in the Sprinter. Mercedes felt that if you needed coffee, you should pull over...."

You should see all the steering wheel controls and speedo/monitoring options you can scroll through while driving. I just want to be able to check on the toad.

sheesh.
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:19 PM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2016 Navion that I have a second monitor on the dash. the monitor that came with the system is so small that you can't see anything. So I bought a 10" color monitor and after some trial and error I found the feed from the rear camera. It is the main feed. All I did was to install a splitter in the line and I now have the rear view feed or the left/right feed. System works great and the larger monitor really helps.
Tinbender47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrock View Post
I have a 2016 View. I can select/activate my camera from my nav station when I am underway to watch my bike rack or my toad. Stays on as long as I want it to.
When you say Nav Station are you referring to the Radio unit? I have a 2016 Vista and camera comes on in reverse only unless I have not found the control you have.
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Guessing I don't have the same radio - how did the control work?
Old 07-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Yes sir, the radio. I have a CAM button that allows me to activate the rear view camera while underway.
Hatrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrock View Post
Yes sir, the radio. I have a CAM button that allows me to activate the rear view camera while underway.
I just figured out today how to turn it on while moving however it involves about 3 button pushes. Taught my wife how because there is no way I am doing that while driving.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:38 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Angry

The 19 Mercedes Chassis that WGO uses have Mercedes Nav. Do not try to hack the camera. CAN bus is to smart and I would doubt the camera only uses a rear brake for the shutoff. Yes the Riverpark has a camera button that is part of the NAV in the 18 and older chassis ie 19 and older Views.
Try the Sprinter Source thread as they have a thread for the newer Sprinters.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:05 PM   #31
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks3456 View Post
Guessing I don't have the same radio - how did the control work?
What model head unit do you have! Perhaps I can help...
Old 07-10-2020, 07:09 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Our Tesla vehicles allow us to view the rear camera while driving (and will also include the side view cameras in a new software update).

It's unfortunate Mercedes doesn't provide this feature in the 2019+ Sprinters or that as a Master Upfitter Winnebago doesn't have a way to enable this feature for their Sprinter-based RVs.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:25 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoriacab View Post
I have a 2020 View with the new chassis and have the same issue with the rear camera not staying on. The dealer was no help and acted surprised at my issue....yah, right.
I think there would be a way to fake the MB system into thinking the coach was in reverse but i chose an easier fix, a second wireless camera that gets power from the roof mounted running lights, and a dash mounted monitor. Crazy to spend $100K+ and then add a DIY fix but that my friends is the story of owning a motorhome. I agree, it is okay to watch the GPS but not to see if your car is still attached behind the coach. Duh!!!
Read your comments. I have the same issue. I have a fur room wireless camera I think I will setup
Vince5764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:00 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2017 View 24G. I discovered that when I turn the rear camera on, a padlock icon appears in the lower left corner of the touchscreen. If I touch the icon (initially shown open) it will lock the camera on and the icon will now appear closed. The icon is displayed for only a short time, so to change the display back to something else, I have to go to MENU.
Perhaps the 2019 works the same way.
Yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:52 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

There are times when we all will have different views of a question and this is one that I feel may be getting a bit confusing to any new folks reading it.
I have long had a complaint on the way my rear camera works but it is just the opposite of many of this group.
My complaint is that my camera comes on every time the I go through reverse and stays on! What that gets around to is that I can't start the engine in park and get to drive without going through reverse----so that means I have to turn the damn camera off every time.
Can you folks imagine how irritating and boring it gets to set and watch the car do the same damn thing over and over for a thousand miles? It just sets there and if it does ever come loose and run away, I'm pretty sure the breakaway brake system will do something to let me know!
So if you are new at towing and may have to spend a good piece of money to watch your car, stop and think how much interest you will have after a couple hundred miles of watching the same TV show!
If you have something stored back there, I consider the money better spent on better security for the stuff! If a strap breaks and the bike falls off, do you really want to be watching TV so you can see it?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Hi Morich,
If your camera turns on and stays on after just shifting from Park to Drive, it sounds like a defect to me. I can't imagine that's by design.
Yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:41 PM   #37
Winnie-Wise

Here's a "safety" thought. We frequently have a towed hooked up behind the View and on top of that towed vehicle is usually two kayaks. Last year we left Denver and of course, going East, hit the winds in Kansas. I've hauled kayaks on cars for the past 50 years, never lost one. This time the rearview camera was on as it usually is so I can monitor the towed and yaks. Whee....I glanced back and one yak was almost gone, moving around. OK, there was a truck weigh station within sight, pulled in and fixed it all back up, no more issues.

I love the rear view monotony and safety.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:01 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Rear View Camera

New 2020 owner interested in the information and following the thread. Former travel trailer owner with awesome rear view mounted camera, invaluable for multiple stated reasons.

Evaluating flat towing and definitely desire to utilize the technology. I would love to use the current useless windshield mounted “rear view mirror “ with a wireless camera. My other thought is looking at the new Garmin 890 navigation system with rear viewing options.

Is anyone using the garmin with that option or a windshield mirror option?
Thanks, Skip
Skip Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:58 PM   #39
DRV
Winnebago Watcher

At the cab area you have a switch that says radio on.
Turn this on and you can keep you radio on. Than hit camera on the screen and you’ll be able to view the camera view
DRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:44 AM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV View Post
At the cab area you have a switch that says radio on.
Turn this on and you can keep you radio on. Than hit camera on the screen and you’ll be able to view the camera view
What year and what kind of unit do you have?

Tags
camera