Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2021, 02:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Issue with simultaneous Induction and Microwave in 2020 View/Navion

I have a 2020 view. On my most recent trip I noticed for the first time that I can not run the microwave and the electric induction burner at the same time. I was plugged into 30 amp shore power the whole time. Whenever I turned on the microwave the electric induction burner would completely lose power. As soon as the microwave was off the standby light on the induction would turn back on. This was only my 4th trip out and I don't know if it has always been this way or its a new issue. According to the breaker box they are both on the same breaker, strange thing is the breaker doesn't trip, the power just gets prioritized to the microwave. Can anyone confirm if this is an actual limitation built into the design or if there is something wrong with my setup?
banjobiotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Looking at the drawing for one model of the view, I see a load shedder in the line for the microwave as priority and the range as load to shed.
Drawing here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000164551.pdf
That would lead me to think what you are seeing might be correct.
But that is also just a semi-educated guess without experience with that Rv to back it!!

Click this snip to get a better view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	load shed.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	177875  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Both of those appliances use a great deal of power. But there are other things that could be running in the background that all together are putting you over the 30-amp limit.

For instance, your battery charger has preference over just about everything and that certainly could be working away in the background and using a lot of power. Next, I believe your fridge is 12v but that doesn't mean it's not using your converter/charger (or inverter charger if so equipped) to run your fridge when plugged in. Also, depending on your water heater setup you could have that running on AC as well and it too uses a lot of power. Lastly, of course, you'd realize if the Air Conditioner was also running right then.

Most likely, it's a combination of multiple things all running at the same time. And not some issue with your coach.

It's even possible the circuit breaker in your campsite power pedestal was weak and reacting too readily.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

That's all true, but the fact that no breakers are tripping is the thing that has me confused. I know what things look like when too much power is drawn from a circuit, the breaker trips. In this situation no breakers are tripping. All that happens is the induction burner just loses power.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:20 PM   #5
Site Team

Can you look at your Load balance monitor and see what loads it shows as shed?
Old 03-20-2021, 04:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Post #2 explains EXACTLY why your induction burner won't operate when the microwave is cooking something. Winnebago designed it that way. Because with microwave and stove burners on together the Amps exceed 30 and the main circuit breaker would trip.

The Energy Management Module senses whenever the microwave is using more than about 100 watts and if so cuts power to the burner. Should not cut power if only the fan and light are in use.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Post #2 explains EXACTLY why your induction burner won't operate when the microwave is cooking something. Winnebago designed it that way. Because with microwave and stove burners on together the Amps exceed 30 and the main circuit breaker would trip.

The Energy Management Module senses whenever the microwave is using more than about 100 watts and if so cuts power to the burner. Should not cut power if only the fan and light are in use.

Seems like the answer. Thanks everyone!
Old 03-21-2021, 10:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have almost burned my 15G by using too much power. The breakers won’t flip when using over 30 Amps. My problem was an electric heater running when other things like the microwave or water heater, yes it load shares those two.
I rewired my box at the service bay, bought a heater that max is 1200 watts and never have the heat pump on with the electric heater.
I also got a new surge protector with a 30 amp cut off. It has a Bluetooth device that reads amps, volts, any issues.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffie Drink View Post
I have almost burned my 15G by using too much power. The breakers won’t flip when using over 30 Amps. My problem was an electric heater running when other things like the microwave or water heater, yes it load shares those two.
I rewired my box at the service bay, bought a heater that max is 1200 watts and never have the heat pump on with the electric heater.
I also got a new surge protector with a 30 amp cut off. It has a Bluetooth device that reads amps, volts, any issues.

I assume you mean you have a 2015 524G model view? Can you explain more what you have in your situation? It seems we are missing some important clues as I see no sings your RV comes with a heat pump, so have you added one or what's up with that and why do you feel the breakers don't work?
What do you mean you almost burned the RV???? What was heating up or causing concern?
Old 03-21-2021, 11:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My 15 View G has a heat pump. It is easy to use more than 30 amps, I will now turn off the Water heater, when I use a hair dryer and have the heat pump/AC on. My new TRC surge protector will trip when I exceed 30 amps. This protects my cord and house wireing, my hot leg melted at the service box in the service bay. My cord also melted. No tripping at the house or pedestal. I smelled it, opened the box, replaced the cord and reconnected it to the house wire.
Check your wire, there are bad wire nut connections that can cause issues.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

We have a 21VD (same as 2020/2021 View/Navion) with the convection/microwave and induction cooktop.

Before we left Lichtsinn when we picked up our RV, we were aware the microwave and induction cooktop can't run at the same time. I couldn't find where this is mentioned in any of the Winnebago documents provided with our View. We may have discovered this either watching Lichtsinn's View orientation video - or during our (long) walkthrough with Lichtsinn when we purchased our View (and then stayed several days in their parking lot).

Winnebago's owner website has diagrams that can be downloaded. Diagram 158611 has the 110V layout for our 24D. Page 6 in that file shows the microwave and cooktop are sharing a 20A circuit through a Power Share module, shown on page 4.

This module provides 110 power to both the induction cooktop and the microwave, with the microwave taking priority. If the induction cooktop is running when the microwave is turned on, the cooktop will shut off until the microwave is finished.

As I recall when we've tried to use both our microwave and induction cooktop...

Even if you aren't using the cooktop, when the microwave is running, all power to the induction cooktop will be disconnected - the red power light will go off. And when the microwave is finished, you should hear a "beep" when the cooktop gets power and the red power light is displayed again.

Because of this limitation - if we're going to use the microwave, we'll use the gas cooktop - which isn't affected by the microwave.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffie Drink View Post
My 15 View G has a heat pump. It is easy to use more than 30 amps, I will now turn off the Water heater, when I use a hair dryer and have the heat pump/AC on. My new TRC surge protector will trip when I exceed 30 amps. This protects my cord and house wireing, my hot leg melted at the service box in the service bay. My cord also melted. No tripping at the house or pedestal. I smelled it, opened the box, replaced the cord and reconnected it to the house wire.
Check your wire, there are bad wire nut connections that can cause issues.
Okay, I see my mistake. I do see a heat pump option on your model. I was not aware of it on the smaller units but it is there in the book!
Meanwhile I see what looks like happened on your Rv and you might want to check some things as you may have had a couple different things not working right.
Sounds like the cord connections were grounded at the first box in the RV, so the inside breakers were not involved but the pedestal breaker should have shut it down, so there sounds like a failure there if the cord started to melt. I might avoid that campground in the future!
And you are correct that the connectors need to stay on to keep things from shorting to ground.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:31 PM   #13
'21 View 24J

Hi - We have a '21 View, and also note that the induction cooktop load sheds whenever the microwave is used. I think the earlier explanation makes very good sense , as both appliances are heavy loads and when in combination with other coach utilities would likely exceed the 30 amp capability. We've come to expect the induction cooktop to power off when the microwave is used.

Now, on the topic of that induction cooktop - I was looking for a way to disable the appliance, as we have not used it in two months of camping ... and are getting tired of accidentally turning it on when we place things on the cooktop surface. Once we even had some utensils sitting on it, and when accidentally brushing the power switch it activated the cooktop surface and started heating up. That, in combination with it beeping during its power-on after using the microwave, was a bit much after a while.

I had a close look at the power cable leading to it, and traced it to a 20 amp receptacle underneath the counter at the back of the right hand sink! (The Winnebago drawings show this as a true 20 amp receptacle) It is not hard wired, and can be unplugged. Brilliant! Sure, I might be the last to know this - but I was pretty happy.

Another reason to be happy, was this 20 amp receptacle is pretty easy to access and can be used to plug in a 1500 W heater without any concern for long term damage to the 14 gauge / 15 amp wiring on the other coach receptacles. This spring we have been using all 1500 W of our portable heater - that extra 750 watts makes a big difference.

Happy Camper.

Cheers,
Ontario Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:14 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario Don View Post
This spring we have been using all 1500 W of our portable heater - that extra 750 watts makes a big difference.
Don, it's fused at 20-amp but it would be my guess that your induction cooktop isn't using 20-amps and it probably only has a 15-amp receptacle as well.

20-amp plugs and receptacles have a special shape. I'll attach a photo below.

Of course, you realize that substituting an electric heater for your induction cooktop will yield the exact same load shedding when the microwave is used.

Unplugging an unused load - the cooktop - will not provide even one amp of extra power. You have 30-amps/3600 watts and that's all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20-amp.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	178407  
Old 04-18-2021, 04:48 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

The load shedding may be part of the induction cooktop to keep it from drawing more than 15A. I installed one on a cruising boat and even though each of the two burners was rated for 1,000 watts, it would cut back both if they were on high to keep power below 1,500 watts.

BTW induction cooktops are as good or better than gas cooktops: instant heat like a gas cooktop but much more efficient than a conventional electric coil cooktop. Boils water in half or less time. Sort of like heating something with a microwave vs an oven.

Someone mentioned that they didn't want to buy new cookware. $50 will buy a nice three piece set for an RV.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:48 AM   #16
'21 View 24J

Hi all - Thanks for the photo of a 20 amp receptacle. Yes, the cooktop / microwave circuit is on a dedicated 20 amp breaker, the Winnebago drawings show a 20 amp circuit, and the receptacle itself is a 20 amp receptacle. This is a 20 amp circuit, as is the plug and connected circuit for the microwave too.

Right, a heater plugged into the cooktop 20 amp circuit does load shed when the microwave is used. I consider this a minor inconvenience for being able to use the full capacity of a 1500 Watt heater safely.

We have not ruled out really liking the induction cooktop, someday! Right now, we keep tripping over it as it turns on inadvertently when we are working on the counter.

Thanks again,

Cheers,
Ontario Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:25 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Having both the induction and gas cooktop has allowed us to choose whether we want to use electricity or propane - which can be useful when boondocking (when propane is probably a better choice) or in very cold weather (when it's better to use electricity and run the diesel generator periodically and save propane for cabin heating).
Old 04-19-2021, 07:12 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Shouldn't have made any comments about the microwave...

It was working in our 21VD this morning for breakfast - but when we tried to use it for dinner this evening - the fan would start - but the microwave wouldn't heat and the turntable won't turn. The convection oven isn't working either.

Tried moving from shore power to lithium battery and tried turning off the 20A breaker for long periods - and haven't been able to get the microwave working again.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Fortunately, we are at Lichtsinn for annual maintenance this week - so they can look at it in the morning...
Old 04-19-2021, 10:30 PM   #19
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Don, it's fused at 20-amp but it would be my guess that your induction cooktop isn't using 20-amps and it probably only has a 15-amp receptacle as well.

20-amp plugs and receptacles have a special shape. I'll attach a photo below.

Of course, you realize that substituting an electric heater for your induction cooktop will yield the exact same load shedding when the microwave is used.

Unplugging an unused load - the cooktop - will not provide even one amp of extra power. You have 30-amps/3600 watts and that's all.
yes that is a 20 amp plug, but isnt necessarily required. In Home wiring the kitchen wall plugs are generally on 20A 12 guage wire, but do not use that plug.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:31 PM   #20
Winnebago Vita 24P

Sounds like to me that they need a 50A service instead of 30A service with the addition of the induction stovetop.

Tags
view