Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2021, 06:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Inverter question

We have a Navion 24D, have driven it all around the country, but never really figured out when to use the inverter. The manual says it can power various outlets and devices when not hooked up to shore power, but still not clear. And does it automatically go off when not needed?

Thanks for any help understanding this.
Susan
KentSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would consider the inverter as an added benefit for when I want to run some AC item and am not plugged into power. Exactly which outlets will be fed is something to look around and try to sort out as the drawings for the newer rV do not show that level of detail.
Most likely items will be fairly limited to things like a Tv and "maybe" and outlet or so.
Possibly an outlet near the bed for folks who use a CPAP machine?
Testing may be the best way to figure out which works off the inverter?
Simple story is that if you are not plugged in nor running a generator but an outlet works to turn on a lamp, it is fed by the inverter! Isn't that a real high tech test idea??
I would assume it does not go off when not used, but stay ready.

But I would tend to leave it off normally as even when not using the AC, there will be some draw on the batteries just to keep the inverter internals ready. I tend to be conservative on my battery use and just turn things off if they are not currently needed. Something like the little power supplies for our phone charging that we often leave plugged in? They are eating a small bit of power even when not plugged into the phone!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We have a 2021 View (so this advice may or may not apply to models earlier than 2020)...

We leave the inverter on all of the time. Not only does the inverter power the 110 outlets, it is also used to charge the coach batteries from shore power or the generator.

The only time we'll turn the inverter off is when we plan to park somewhere for multiple days, and we're not connected to shore power. We'll turn off the refrigerator and the HVAC at the thermostat - and all of the lights - and turn off the inverter. This is to reduce the power drain on the batteries - and with the solar panels on the roof (which don't use the inverter for charging the coach batteries), the solar panels should prevent the coach batteries from fully discharging.

Also - if you don't have any 110 power usage, the inverter should also turn itself off.

I've found it can sometimes be difficult to get the inverter to come back on after it's been off - and requires using the inverter switch located by the coach door to turn the inverter power off and then back on, before the inverter will start working again.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:43 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
We leave the inverter on all of the time. Not only does the inverter power the 110 outlets, it is also used to charge the coach batteries from shore power or the generator.
Actually, your inverter and it's charging functions should be totally separate. And when you turn off the inverter that's the only thing you are turning off. The charger, even though it is built inside of your inverter, is a separate function.

Generally, you cannot turn off the charging portion of the inverter/charger. If you can it would show as a separate switch and not be something you can accidentally turn off.

I checked your Operator's Manual and it appears you have the Xantrex Freedom XC - either the 1000w or the 2000w. You can configure the charger for battery type and charging amps, etc via the remote display but I've read the owner's manual and do not see any easy way to turn off the charger - just the inverter mode.

Here's what your manual says:

Quote:
When the inverter/charger is not being used, it should be shut off at the charger panel. The inverter/charger could drain the house batteries if the shoreline is not connected to external power and the inverter/charger disconnect switch is on.
NOTE: by turning the inverter off, I'm talking about turning it off at the Xantrex Remote Display - NOT at the rotary cutoff disconnect switch.

The photo below is the Xantrex Remote Display:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20View.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	177828  
Old 03-18-2021, 09:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The description for the Power button states "turns on inverter/charger operation or to Standby mode" on page 40 - which could be interpreted to mean it does control the charger operation - though on page 58, while there's a mention of the power button when transitioning to battery mode, the power button isn't mentioned when transitioning to grid mode.

To be safe - if you have a battery with a monitor (like the Lithionics batteries with a Bluetooth monitoring app), when connected to shore power or running the generator, turn off the inverter and verify if the batteries are getting a charge.

Using the inverter cutoff switch at the coach door will disconnect the inverter - which will turn off shore power charging - so that disconnect should not be used when the coach is connected to shore power, so the coach batteries will stay charged (and the chassis battery if an AMP-L-START or TRIK-L-START is present).
Old 03-18-2021, 10:01 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
The description for the Power button states "turns on inverter/charger operation or to Standby mode" on page 40 - which could be interpreted to mean it does control the charger operation - though on page 58, while there's a mention of the power button when transitioning to battery mode, the power button isn't mentioned when transitioning to grid mode.

To be safe - if you have a battery with a monitor (like the Lithionics batteries with a Bluetooth monitoring app), when connected to shore power or running the generator, turn off the inverter and verify if the batteries are getting a charge.

Using the inverter cutoff switch at the coach door will disconnect the inverter - which will turn off shore power charging - so that disconnect should not be used when the coach is connected to shore power, so the coach batteries will stay charged (and the chassis battery if an AMP-L-START or TRIK-L-START is present).
Those manuals are awfully confusing. Your xantex 2000 watt inverter/charger will charge the batteries with the inverter off. That is standard for most inverter chargers.

There inverter draws quite a bit of phantom power when left on, so standard practice is to shut it off when not using the outlets/microwave etc.

If you are having problems with your xantex booting up each time you turn it it, there is something wrong with it. On that xantex, it usually takes 30+- seconds or so for it to turn on and be active.

When you shut off the xantex, if you plug into shore power, the remote panel will still light up and let you know the charging status b
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

There is a 110V AC panel and circuits powered off the inverter which is powered off the house batteries or the generator and a separate 12V DC panels and circuits for items like the water pump and lights and fridge. The newer Navion models have a auto transfer switch that automatically goes from shore power to generator power when the generator is started so it is not as obvious that this is taking place.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Creative is right on the money (as always). The newer Xantrex inverters are completely solid-state and independent of the charger. As mentioned, they do have a bit of a standby draw, so if you know you are not using it and are off the grid, turn it off at the panel. The older bread-box shaped inverters (like the original Heart Freedom series that Xantrex bought out), basically ran in reverse to charge/invert and could not be defeated. Losing your power with a space heater plugged in would cream your batteries.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:30 PM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

We don’t have an inverter/charger, what we have is a Converter/Charger, which does what it’s name implies and converts 120v to 12v, for the RV, and chargers the batteries, our Inverter is a separate piece of equipment who’s only function in our unit is to Invert 12v to 120v, for limited things like tvs, refrigerators, and a few select outlets.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

That's exactly what I do, Wyatt. I have fairly early generation (and dependable) Xantrex products I pulled from my last boat. I intentionally bought them separate, since the failure of one won't defeat both functions.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Inverter

Yep it takes DC 12 Volts and makes it into AC 110V, size of inverter and wiring will dictate what all is available at 110V while not plugged in or while driving down the road!

Do they drain some current when no being used for anything yes a tiny bit. So when storing the rig best to isolate the batteries from all such loads. Most rigs allow micro, some "hot or on wall outlets" to plug in computers and such as well as fridge if it uses 110. Some rigs have very capable inverters which allow almost every thing to be run without being plugged in though AC is generally a special creature needing gobs of power specially when it kicks on. Installing a soft start mechanism on it and the compressor fridge goes a long way in un-stressing the electrical load system, as it reduces the peak draw upon compressor startup. Some people including electricians stand by the softstart process while others are non believers!

To find out how your rig is wired, have the batteries fully charged and tun on stuff in the rig to see what will work and what wont, including checking the outlets so that you know which ones are on or hot while you drive down the road if you need to charge or use something. Other way is to ask the manuf for a wiring diagram and follow all the lines from the inverter to the distribution point and onwards.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Inverter

I installed the Freedom XC 2000 with Lithionics Batteries in my 2019 Navion.
I always leave the Freedom 2000 XC in the standby mode

The Freedom XC will detect when 120v ac and automatically go into "Grid Mode" and charge the batteries.
If the power button is has been pressed, in the on position, then when you lose 120v ac, the unit goes into battery mode and the inverter will operate.

If the power button is in the Standby mode, it will not transition to the battery mode and the inverter will not operate.
See page 58 of the Owners guide.

jipper
2019 Navion J
jipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:26 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Disconnecting is a good idea. I was doing a test on my 12v fridge, once with Xantrex XC2000 disconnected, and once with it in standby. I was surprised the Xantrex drew so much power in standby with no AC loads: 11.4 AH over a 24 hr period. My test results posted at https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3891759

Edit: when boondocking a good idea to disconnect
Old 03-31-2021, 04:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

That seems high - will have to run a test when I get a chance.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:09 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

On shore power (2021) the XC automatically charges the batteries and bypasses the inverter function to provide 115vac regardless of rotary switch or button position. Unless you want to rely on the button and display panel to ensure you are not accidentally inverting or causing parasitic drain while on battery only it seems prudent to leave the rotary switch off unless you are absolutely sure you want to invert DC to AC.

You can verify this by doing the grid/batt function test with switches in various positions and observing display indications
37NG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter