Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2023, 12:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Inverter Outlets 2016 Itasca Cambria 30J

Hi, we have a 2016 Itasca Cambria 30J that we bought about a year ago. I am interested in converting to LiFePO4 house batteries at some point, but right now I have a question about the inverter. We are planning a trip to Utah this Summer. We have the 1000 watt inverter with the auto transfer switch and a pair of 100 amp hour AGM lead batteries. In testing the inverter, I find that not all of the outlets have 110 power -- just the outlets over the dinette, the bedroom, the TV's, and the GFCI in the compartment behind the battery tray. My question is: should all of the outlets have 110 volt AC power from the inverter or just some of them? I can't find anything in the documentation about this. Thanks. 1
MDJDCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I think I can be of some help there but it shows two builds of that year, model and floor plan. One seems clear but the other is somewaht odd and leaves me some doubt!

Do you have a 7th digit of your RV serial number of 1 for early build or 2 for late year build?

Early year build the inverter was an option and later build it was included without option showing!
since you mention 1000Watt inverter, I would assume you have early build with option 401 or late build! But how those are shown wired in changes, so if you can tell me which build you have, I think I can point to the info but it is somewhat "funny" in the way it is drawn for the early build and option.

Bear with me a bit as this drawing got better as the year went on!
I might show you the late build first as it is more clear what they are saying.
Apparently it takes practice to figure how to draw new stuff?
From this set of drawings:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

Then select "Body 110 wiring install/diagram for the full picture or click these snips if they get you what you want?

Late build as more clear?
Click image for larger version

Name:	build 2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	186250

It goes through lots of plug together connectors and feeds as shown.

Then there is the drawing for the early build and it took a while to come clear to me!
I think what they are showing in Detail AA is that the inverter should be inline about where I drew the arrows and then it feeds down to the rect. as shown.
You may/may nopt have the air bed option?

Click image for larger version

Name:	build 1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	186251

Bottom line is that only these outlets will be powered through the inverter!

I "think " that gets you what it supports but I admit that this drawing is not the best one they've done!!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Richard
Thank you for this quick reply. We have the later build wherein the inverter is not an option but standard equipment. Our S/N has a "2" as the 7th digit. I had downloaded this wiring diagram, but it did not register with me - the little box in the diagram labeled "inverter." Indeed after checking all of the outlets with a VOM, my results show power to all in this branch that are distal to "Inverter" and no power to the remaining. My concern was that somehow the others had become disconnected from the inverter and now I would need to hunt down where the break lies. You have answered my question, saved me a lot of work and saved me from myself.
Thank you,
Philip
Old 06-06-2023, 12:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

It's those little "hidden" mysteries that can get to us! Glad to help.

Enjoy the Rv. It looks like one I might feel right for us if we get time to go that way again.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:38 PM   #5
Site Team

It is totally normal for a select number of receptacles to be connected to the inverter and none of the other ones.

Usually, there is at least one plug in the bedroom, near the bed for a CPAP machine or clock, one in the bathroom for a hair dryer etc, one or two in the kitchen for SMALL electrics and one or more in the entertainment area near TVs, DVD players, etc.

A 1000w inverter cannot power large appliances. Not Microwaves, space heaters, powerful hair dryers, induction burners or even many coffee makers. So, Winnebago limits which receptacles are connected to keep you from going crazy and plugging in too many things and blowing fuses.

The connection between the inverter and your plugs is in the main power center circuit box. If you are AC savvy you probably can see which circuits are connected to the inverter output.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for help with my question.
As I mentioned, I am also interested in improving the coach battery system. First of all, I have heard that my model (Itasca Cambria 2016 30J ver. 2) already has a connection for at least 1 solar panel -- is that really true and if so, where is it located?
Next, I want to explore switching to LiFePO4 batteries from the lead-acid chemistry. First of all, is there a thread on this topic with all of the answers already (I hate to reinvent the wheel)? I would upgrade the 100 amp-hour lead batteries to a pair of 200 to 220 of the Lithium. I figure that I would need to replace the Converter, but what about the Inverter (of course with more power I could go up to say 2000 watts)? What about the Chassis alternator, does it need modification to accommodate Lithium coach batteries?
Thank you all.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:19 PM   #7
Site Team

There are a LOT of posts about the conversion to Lithium. I can't point to any one thread though. This conversion takes a lot of research and planning. The only easy way is to hire out the job. But that's pretty expensive - it mostly doubles the cost of DIY.

Current RVs generally have capable converters - but not in 2016. Though "some" converters can be upgraded with a simple dongle to program higher voltages. Does yours have this? Who knows. You need to find the model number of your Converter and contact the manufacturer and see if they have a remote dongle for your model.

If that's not available then you will need to change out the charging portion of your Converter to provide the proper charging profile.

Then there is the Alternator charging to figure out - which is a whole topic unto itself. Some ignore this, but most of us dive deep into our RVs electrical system and disconnect alternator charging. Unfortunately, it's not that simple as you also have to solve other issues like chassis battery charging on shore power and the Aux Start switch on your dashboard.

All of this will begin with sorting out your battery compartment. How much room do you have, will your new batteries fit? How many? Is it open to the road below? How will you protect against freezing?

When I did mine I understood about 1/2 of the requirements and I researched and studied as I went along until I got it all sorted.

It's great. I'm happy I did it. But there are no short cuts, short of hiring out the job.

As to bigger inverter, yes, you can do that but that also adds a bunch of ancillary issues that you have to be aware of and tackle.

Tags
inverter, itasca