Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Installing 3 Stage Converter/Charger on 2013 View

I do not even have my brand new 2013 View Profile 24g yet and I am already wanting to make it better.

From what I understand it comes with a 1 or 2 stage Converter/Charger and it can not be plugged in 24/7 with our boiling the batteries.

I am not totally inept in fact I am quite handy and have had a RV for years, but I have never changed out the Converter/Charger.

I am thinking about installing a Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power PD4645
Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power Converter/Charger PD4645

or a PowerMax Boondocker Converter PM4B-60
PowerMax PM4B-60 (60 Amp 4-Stage Converter/Charger)

Any help, tips and or advice will be much appreciated

The dealer is willing to install on but why pay them when I can do it myself.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It looks like the converter (13.8 VDC) is part of the power control module and more than likely cannot be removed. It will have to just be disconnected from AC and DC and wire in the new converter/charger unit.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
It looks like the converter (13.8 VDC) is part of the power control module and more than likely cannot be removed. It will have to just be disconnected from AC and DC and wire in the new converter/charger unit.
You say it "Looks Like" can you share where you see this?

Plus I guess I will need to find out where and what the power control module is...
Old 01-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

LeeB, from the Winnebago online parts Parts Catalog for the 2013 View Profile 23G.

Manuals & Diagrams
Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
LeeB, from the Winnebago online parts Parts Catalog for the 2013 View Profile 23G.

Manuals & Diagrams
Whoopie, Yay, Thanks so much......
Old 01-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

You may need the Magnetek/Parallax 6300/7300 upgrade kit
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Thanks........

This is getting quite interesting, especially being I don't even have the coach yet. HA ha ha.........

Talk about putting the cart before the horse...... Not having a coach and all this time on my hands is getting me in trouble.....
Old 01-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

LeeB, The converter/charger/power center is made by Schumacher Electric Corporation. During my research I found this web site to a link that a guy did just what you would like to do. Good Luck!!

Schumacher Converter Upgrade
Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
LeeB, The converter/charger/power center is made by Schumacher Electric Corporation. During my research I found this web site to a link that a guy did just what you would like to do. Good Luck!!

Schumacher Converter Upgrade
That's perfect....... Thanks so much......
Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

LeeB,
I'm just wondering something here. You don't even have the coach yet but, in your statement, you say you "understand" that the factory installed converter/charger WILL boil the batteries IF, it's left plugged into shore power for 24/7, correct? Do you have proof of this? Have you read the owners manual yet? If so, does it say to NOT keep the coach plugged into shore power for 24/7? Does it say it WILL damage, or, boil out the water out of the batteries if kept on shore power?

Don't get me wrong here. Not chastising you here but, based on your statement, you're simply implying that, as you understand it, it's going to happen. Did the salesman tell you this? Did you talk to a tech at the dealership about it? I'm only trying to see here if, in fact, a 2013 coach is set up so that it will, in fact, damage the batteries, if left plugged in. One more thing, are there other owners of the same coach or, same chassis/setup, having this issue? And if so, what was their remedy?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
LeeB,
I'm just wondering something here. You don't even have the coach yet but, in your statement, you say you "understand" that the factory installed converter/charger WILL boil the batteries IF, it's left plugged into shore power for 24/7, correct? Do you have proof of this? Have you read the owners manual yet? If so, does it say to NOT keep the coach plugged into shore power for 24/7? Does it say it WILL damage, or, boil out the water out of the batteries if kept on shore power?

Don't get me wrong here. Not chastising you here but, based on your statement, you're simply implying that, as you understand it, it's going to happen. Did the salesman tell you this? Did you talk to a tech at the dealership about it? I'm only trying to see here if, in fact, a 2013 coach is set up so that it will, in fact, damage the batteries, if left plugged in. One more thing, are there other owners of the same coach or, same chassis/setup, having this issue? And if so, what was their remedy?
Scott
Funny you should post this when you did. First YES I am/was under the impression that the coach comes with a single stage charger. I did ask my salesman and have been to a few other web sites and got pretty much the same answer. That it does NOT come with a 3 stage charger.

Thanks to grtharris I did some more digging last night and downloaded the user manual and it states on page 6-4 the following.....

"The converter charges house batteries while
120-volt external power is connected. The
converter will automatically “sense” the condition of the battery. If it is below “full
charge”, the Charging Section will start charging
the batteries.
If the house batteries have been extremely
discharged, they will accept charge at a relatively
high amperage rate. If they are only slightly
discharged, they will charge at a lower amperage
rate. The rate of charge will decrease as the
batteries reach “full charge”, then will continue
“trickle” charging at a very low amperage rate. If
your battery does not charge as described above,it is possible the battery is defective.

What bothers me about the above statement is it says "it will continue "trickle" charging at a very low amperage"....

Yes I will be calling the dealer and talking to a service tech or someone other then a salesman. As we all know as far as salesmen go you CAN pull and 13,000# 5th wheel with a Datsun pick-up..
Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

LeeB,

I think we're on EXACLY the same page. I had been reading the manual for my then anticipated Vista 35 for several weeks, and was wondering exactly the same thing since the Vista manual is worded the same. My Thor Hurricane stayed plugged in 24/7, and I would check the batteries at a minimum of monthly, and they never needed water. I got the Vista this past Monday, and the first thing I did was to write Winnebago support several questions that I could not find answers to... one of them, about the manual's wording on charging being one of them. In my question, I mentioned that I thought it might be due to boiling the batteries, but that I do keep tabs on them. I have yet to hear back from Winnebago, but if I do before you get something, I'll chime back in.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
LeeB,

I think we're on EXACLY the same page. I had been reading the manual for my then anticipated Vista 35 for several weeks, and was wondering exactly the same thing since the Vista manual is worded the same. My Thor Hurricane stayed plugged in 24/7, and I would check the batteries at a minimum of monthly, and they never needed water. I got the Vista this past Monday, and the first thing I did was to write Winnebago support several questions that I could not find answers to... one of them, about the manual's wording on charging being one of them. In my question, I mentioned that I thought it might be due to boiling the batteries, but that I do keep tabs on them. I have yet to hear back from Winnebago, but if I do before you get something, I'll chime back in.
First of all congratulations on your new Coach. I will for sure keep checking back. My Coach will not be ready until March so I have plenty of time. In the mean time i'll just goof off on the internet and see what I can dig up..
Old 01-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I didn't want to post a direct link to a different RV forum (I know a lot of forums frown on that), but I did see mention in a thread on rv.net where Winnebago is going back to single stage chargers for use with AGM batteries. Again no official word, I just happened upon it while reading a thread.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
I didn't want to post a direct link to a different RV forum (I know a lot of forums frown on that), but I did see mention in a thread on rv.net where Winnebago is going back to single stage chargers for use with AGM batteries. Again no official word, I just happened upon it while reading a thread.
Found it thanks DeWat......
Old 01-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

"The converter charges house batteries while
120-volt external power is connected. The
converter will automatically “sense” the condition of the battery. If it is below “full
charge”, the Charging Section will start charging
the batteries.
If the house batteries have been extremely
discharged, they will accept charge at a relatively
high amperage rate. If they are only slightly
discharged, they will charge at a lower amperage
rate. The rate of charge will decrease as the
batteries reach “full charge”, then will continue
“trickle” charging at a very low amperage rate. If
your battery does not charge as described above,it is possible the battery is defective.

This describes a standard single stage 13.8 VDC charger. The greater the voltage deference the more current will flow and as the battery voltage get closer to the charger output the current will decrease to a trickle.

I sent a note to Schumacher Electric requesting the electrical spec's on the converter charger they supply to Winnebago. I will post when I learn more.

Looks like the Tour and Journey are the only ones using AGM batteries the rest are using RV deep cycle flooded acid.

So this does not get out of hand, single stage chargers are not that bad and have been around since day one. For the majority of users they are not a problem.
If you leave you motorhome connected to shore power for extend periods of time the continuous over voltage will cause gassing of the batteries. The water must be replaced are the battery will die also the gassing tends to make a mess in the battery compartment.
I have had both and there is a big difference. The coach batteries in my Journey lasted 6 or 7 years and I added water once a year, it had a 3 stage charger.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

grtharris... My Endeavor had a 3 stage charger and I really enjoyed having it. I agree what you about 3 stage helping to keep the compartment cleaner but the batteries NOT boiling. To me it is going to be even more important with the new coach. The battery compartment is in the step well which is INSIDE the coach.

So as of right now I am Totally leaning to the 4 stage http://www.bestconverter.com/PowerMax-PM4B-60-60-Amp-4-Stage-ConverterCharger_p_413.html
Schumacher Converter Upgrade <~~~~~ install instructions
Old 01-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

converter/charger

LeeB, got a reply from Schumacher Electric today:

Listed below are the specifications that we have available on this charger. This is in fact a 3 stage charger, the bulk, absorption, and float. For further information on this charger you would need to contact Winnebago.

VOLTAGE LIMITS
WITHOUT LOAD: 13.6 VDC MIN / 14.1 VDC MAS

WITH LOAD OF 55 AMPS DC: 12.9 VDC MIN / 13.1 VDC MAX

Just to check I send a note to my friend at Winnebago.
"According to our Electrical Engineer, it is only a single stag charger"

I like your choice of charger, I will probably do the same when we get our Adventurer this summer.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Grant.... I am already prepping the little woman into about a extra $1500.00 for upgrades and tweaking to make it OURS.........

Hope this finds you safe and sound with all the storming.... We used to live in Middle Tennessee and they got hit pretty hard... Gotta love Central California......
Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Progressive Dynamics instructions for changing Schumacher converter to Progressive Dynamics PD9260

Schumacher to Progressive Dynamics PD9260
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote