Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2022, 01:03 PM   #1
2016 View 24J Profile

Infotainment system goes dead 2016 View 24J

New Infotainment system issue.
With no warning the Infotainment system does not function. No radio, GPS/navigation, backup camera.
I removed the head unit to check for loose or disconnected wires but all seems to be correctly in place. Jiggling wires to try and recreate the problem did not work. Suddenly it sprang to life but later stopped working again.
I’m certain there must be a faulty connection somewhere but locating it has become difficult due to on again off again problem.
Has anyone else encountered this and if so, how did it get resolved?
AlanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2016 View and I experienced the same issue with my infotainment system four years ago. The dealer replaced the unit under extended warranty. My new unit is now showing the same symptoms as the first unit. Sometimes it will work and other times it will not. There must be something wrong with the design of these units. I recently received a letter from Rand McNally saying that the navigation software will no longer be updated. When my current unit fails, which I'm positive it will, I plan on replacing it with a aftermarket unit. I'm considering a Kenwood DNX775RVS
fwpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:16 AM   #3
2016 View 24J Profile

Kenwood ?

You may want to reconsider the Kenwood unit.
I checked with Crutchfield and they tell me that unit is not compatible for use with the backup camera in your RV. That would not work for me. I find the backup camera indispensable.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
New Infotainment system issue.
With no warning the Infotainment system does not function. No radio, GPS/navigation, backup camera.
I removed the head unit to check for loose or disconnected wires but all seems to be correctly in place. Jiggling wires to try and recreate the problem did not work. Suddenly it sprang to life but later stopped working again.
I’m certain there must be a faulty connection somewhere but locating it has become difficult due to on again off again problem.
Has anyone else encountered this and if so, how did it get resolved?
You have a bear by the tail when dealing with those, but a small point to keep in mind my help??

What other switches, relays may be involved before the power gets to the dash? I'm thinking things like a switch on the shift mech. Ignition switches are often involved and on newer cars, that power may also go through a number of other items before actually going out to the parts like the radio at the end of the line. YUCK!

Small things like a switch on the transmission position, that may fall out of contact as you shift but hit at other times? You may be able to beat the radio wiring to death while the true cause is down under your feet!

Truth is that changing the radio may appear to fix an intermitant but it comes back because the radio and connections were not the real problem! Timing can may it LOOK like the fix, though.

My story is that I had a Ford Focus toad which wound up getting traded because Ford could not fix an intermitant "fail to crank" problem. Three different dealers and numerous trips to the shop and they were never able to find a real fix. I gave up after many, many tries, up to and including changing out the transmittion under warrenty but the final "solution" they came up with was there was "something" running the battery down!

I nearly broke three different dealers before giving up ---so I hope you get lucky!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

After the Xcite unit on our 2016 View died and could not be resuscitated by the local car stereo shop I had them install the Kenwood DMX unit. Though it was expensive it is a huge improvement with a larger, clearer screen. The camera works fine. It came with traffic info for 5 yrs and we can once again use the steering wheel audio controls. The only negative thing is that we lost the camera audio and have to use the walkies for parking coms.
We run with a Garmin GPS for primary navigation and use the Kenwood as a secondary GPS but mostly for tunes and the camera to keep an eye on the ebikes.
Sorry for the poor pix taken in the barn.
Regards, Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200508_091334.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	182480   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200508_091252.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	182481  

Name:	20200508_091236.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	182482  
Seymour2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 03:38 PM   #6
2016 View 24J Profile

Verified

Well, I have just verified that the unit is in fact the problem. I tested for +12 volts at pin 14 at the back of the unit, good ground at pin 13 and switched +12 volts at pin 15. With this confirmed it leaves only a defective unit as the problem.
Now to choose a good replacement for this monster.
Old 04-13-2022, 04:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

please post what unit you chose so that I can look into that one too. Thanks.
fwpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:38 AM   #8
2016 View 24J Profile

After much deliberation I finally selected the Kenwood DMX706S stereo unit for the in dash and a Garmin RV780 for navigation.
I wanted the Garmin navigation and Kenwood is the only unit that has a dedicated RV navigation in an indash unit but at $1,700 it was more than I wanted to spend.
The Kenwood DMX has all the features of the much more expensive DNX775 and the Garmin nav unit fits perfectly on my dashboard and has lifetime map updates. Both units together cost less than $1,000
The Crutchfield tech was extremely helpful and answered all my questions to help me select the best options.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We are on our third Winnebago RV (2017 Cambria) and are generally happy with each EXCEPT for the poor electronics installations, worse of all is the Rand McNally. Why Winnebago does not wise up and dump those crummy systems is a mystery to me. Our current version intermittently interrupts my concentration with unwanted speed warnings which I am unable to silence. Replacing that piece of junk is complicated by the fact our RV has three cameras and I have been unable to identify a substitute system which can utilize all three. Like others, we resort to a handheld Garmin GPS rather than fiddle with the Rand McNally for guidance. IF anyone can suggest a replacement that will interface with three cameras, we would be very keen to hear about it.
cthiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 02:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

The infotainment system have been a problem for many and i have shared my experiences in the past. The best move I ever made was to junk the whole system and replace it with the Kenwood DNX775. I came with many new updated features for both radio and navigation and supported my three camera system. Works like a charm and well worth the money
Dbday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 02:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Forgot to mention that I added a Kenwood dash cam that is compatible with the DNS775. Love it!
Dbday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:47 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthiggy View Post
Why Winnebago does not wise up and dump those crummy systems is a mystery to me. Our current version intermittently interrupts my concentration with unwanted speed warnings which I am unable to silence.
You should know that you can easily disable the speed warnings or pretty much any other warning you don't want simply by using the Navigation Setup menu on the device. In fact, for the speed warnings you can set it for none or On and for how big a difference between your speed and the speed limit before it provides it's warning.

Go to Navigation > RV Tools > Warnings > Page down 3 pages > Tap Speed Limit Warning > Off/On Amount of speed difference.

You can also set Hill Warnings, Curve Warnings, Border Warnings, Construction Warnings, Narrow Road Warnings, and Toll Booth Warnings.

The Xite Rand McNally system is used by the majority of Motorhome and Motorcoach manufacturers and is in RVs with prices from $80,000 to over $2 million. Now that Rand is exiting the RV GPS business to concentrate on the Trucking Industry after their bankruptcy and merger, new Xite GPS systems are using Nav-N-Go software (TomTom).

There is a new HUGE Rand McNally Map update available now via the Xite Dock application for your GPS. It is the first update in 2-years and contains 5 gbs of new road mapping information. Be sure to get it.

Here's the first screen for RV Tools and the last page of warnings for Speed Limit Warnings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Xite RV Tools.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	182544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xite Speed Warnings.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	182545  

Old 04-19-2022, 09:11 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Infotainment system goes dead 2016 View

Mucho gracias to creativeparts. That is a lot of information I never knew. Gonna try those suggestions this weekend.

cthiggy
Old 04-19-2022, 09:21 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

P.S. to previous comment for creativeparts:

A thousand apologies for my stupidity, but would you mind detailing the process for updating the Xite database suggested in your post?? Mine has never been updated since purchase. Or tell me where I can find it - whichever is more convenient for you.

cthiggy
Old 04-19-2022, 09:53 AM   #15
Site Team

cthiggy, Wow, never updated. No wonder you hate the thing. I updated mine many times. However, two years ago RAND went bankrupt and was purchased by a Private Equity Firm (corporate raider). So, everything stopped in 2019. They were sold again to a new company that specializes in Semi-Truck applications and slowly things began to start back up. There have been 2-updates in the past 3 months. However, this new 5gb Map Update is the first since 2019 and is that last one - or the last free one. We're not sure.

To update your Xite you need to remove the SD Card. Do you know where to find it and how to remove it? Don't lose or damage it. It is keyed to your unit and is difficult to replace. You can't very easily copy it either. So, guard its use.

Then go to the Rand McNally website and down load the DOCK program and install it. You'll also need a SD card reader for your computer - the upgrade can only take place on a computer. If you don't have an SD card reader built into your computer a simple USB card reader can be bought for under $15.

Here's the link for the dock download website:
https://www.randmcnally.com/support/s/dock-software

Then you launch the DOCK application, insert your SD Card and click the buttons for Program Updates and Map Updates. NOTE! If you haven't done so already, which you probably haven't, you'll need to register your device (your SD card) first before it will give you access to the Free updates.

Then when you put the SD card back into your Xite you should be all set to go.

Old 04-19-2022, 10:48 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thanks so much for the great instructions and prompt response. Including the video is especially helpful. Just what was needed. I can see my whole weekend is gonna be dedicated to the RV as I am scheduled to do an oil change and change out the steering stabilizer in preparation for our annual pilgrimage north.

cthiggy
Old 04-19-2022, 03:29 PM   #17
Site Team

About Registering your SD Card in the Dock Application... there is a link to register in the white panel at the top on the right hand side. The Dock application will look for your SD card when it boots up. You can just have it in the SD Card reader before you start the Dock app. Or, when it boots up and can't find the card it will eventually pop up a small window that tells you it "Can't find your device". Your SD card is your "device."
Old 04-27-2022, 06:10 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

My new to me 16 Aspect had never had map updates, wouldn’t update on the dock. Quick call to Rand and they sent me a return tag for the SD card and are replacing it. So hopefully I’ll be back in business. John
jgilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:05 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilj View Post
My new to me 16 Aspect had never had map updates, wouldn’t update on the dock. Quick call to Rand and they sent me a return tag for the SD card and are replacing it. So hopefully I’ll be back in business. John
John, you called RAND? Or did you call Riverpark? I’ve never heard of Rand McNally providing any support for Xite SD cards or any other part of the Xite system.
Old 04-27-2022, 08:07 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

I called both but Riverpark sent me to Rand tech support, very nice lady decided to help this old man !
jgilj is offline   Reply With Quote