Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-24-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M

Impressions of my 2018 MW 22M

I though I’d give you all my impression of my 2018 Minnie Winnie 22M that I purchased in December 2017 and have owned for 18 months now. First off, I have been a motor home owner since 1978 when I purchased an 18 Foot, Rear Bath Cruise Master by Georgie Boy powered by a Dodge 318 - and owned it for over 39 years. That little motor home was my primary vacation vehicle for years of living in Colorado and California and my kids grew up in it. It wasn’t until I was nearing retirement when my wife and best friend suggested it was time to move up to a bigger motor home, one where we didn’t have to sleep in the cabover bed, had more room, and had a bigger bathroom.

We decided that we liked the MW (and Spirit) 22M over all of the similar models by other manufacturers of the slide out two part queen bed. Of the similar models that were similarly priced, I felt that the MW had better quality and a better overall design. I appreciated the bathroom design with a glass shower doors, a full wall-to-wall cabover bed with a window at the head of that bed, and especially the dual windows on either side of the slide out bed - perfect for cross ventilation. If there is anything that I wish they would have designed into the MW was a flip up kitchen counter extension, something that’s common on other units, as if there’s anything that the 22M lacks is counter space.

My wife and I took it out for one trip in November 2017 then put it into winter storage. (I thought buying the rig in the fall at a show would get me a better price, but in fact I’ve seen the same price in the springtime.) Next, it was used seven or eight times over the summer of 2018, but never traveling out of California. However, the biggest test was this spring - and that test is just ended.

When we made the decision to remodel out house our contractor told us the time to be gone was during the demolition phase. So on the morning they started ripping out the cabinets and counters in the kitchen, we hit the road for ten nights camping, in weather requiring use of both the furnace and the air conditioning. After that, we returned home to park our rig in the driveway and live in it as the remodeling progressed and spent a total of 30 consecutive nights in the rig.

First of all, we love the 22M. Since almost all of the camping we do is boondocking in national forest and state park campgrounds, we wanted a rig that was small enough to be able to fit into camp site parking spots designed decades ago. We considered anything longer would limit where we could take it. The reason we liked the model design is the slide out two part queen sized bed allows either of us to get up out of bed without having to climb over each other. Although we don’t (yet) tow a vehicle, I do wish we’d have gotten on on the E450 chassis for that reason only. Otherwise, there isn’t a motor home out there that we would have preferred.

The two part mattress that we topped with a three inch foam mattress topper has proved to be extremely comfortable. After 30 continuous days sleeping it, we could have easily done more. I installed two Maxxfans and would draw out air from inside the rig, pulling fresh air through the windows by the head of the bed. I am in the process of replacing the lights over the beds with smaller LED lights that can be aimed, but haven’t done any other modifications, although we are planning some small wall mounted shelves in the bathroom and the in the corners above the dinette.

Of course, there were warranty issues that needed to be addressed. First off, the Sony DVD player would regularly shut down and skip. Second, the Carefree awning over the slide out would hang up and wouldn’t retract. And finally, I was getting leakage beyond the valves of both holding tanks into the pipe across the unit so that when the cap was removed there could be up to a half gallon of liquid, both gray and black water that had to be quickly captured. These were addressed in the servicing last October, although I was was told that the DVD player was replaced, however it still skips and loses sound as before. The slide out awning also still hangs up half of the time. Both need to be addressed on the next servicing. They disassembled the valves for both tanks and found some PVC glue was the cause of the leaks. I also had a leak out of the drain in the bathroom sink that I took apart and fixed myself, and I had one side of my kitchen sink leak upon draining and I also repaired I am still concerned about the sounds made when operating the slide out like the motor system is just about to fail, stressed to the maximum. But although shaking and grinding, it works.

Overall, I’m thrilled with this motor home, a huge leap in size and amenities over my old RV. This was my retirement gift to myself and my wife, and when she retires in four years, we’ll really hit the road for some long adventures!
mcfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We went through a similar process with our '17 31D. May finally have bugs worked out. Slides make noise but seem to work fine. Bedding with topper very comfortable. Very happy with our choice (4th RV) as we are semi-retired and spend 2-4 months annually camping. Our style as we prefer commercial parks with FHU and dry camp for a few nights at a time. Winnebago service has been great, but new RV is not maintenance free.

After this style (2-4) months of camping, we sold our 2nd home ...much prefer RV life style to owning a 2nd home on a lake. Will keep primary townhome (limited outside maintenance) as a home base here in MN. Upon full retirement in a few years, confident we will comfortably snowbird in Apache Junction in our 31D for most or all of the winter months. Plenty of room and amenities.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:12 PM   #3
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

About to Purchase MW 22M

After looking for over two years for a good used Class C we had finalized our search to the Winnebago line. We fell in love with the 22M layout the first time we saw it, and reluctantly upped our budget and bought new, 2018 coach on a 2017 chassis. We had also decided that we wanted the E 450 chassis - for all the reasons previously discussed in this thread.
Like most new units ours wasn't without issues; water leaks in galley and shower, stove glass countertop hinges sprung; HW heater failed on first outing, drivers window drive motor failed, dinette bulkhead out of alignment from wardrobe, water ingress into drivers side exterior compartment, etc, etc, etc.
However, our dealer stepped up to the plate and patiently looked after all our problems and after several trips back there ( 500 Km and one ferry ride each way) all's good.
Agree biggest design flaw is the brutal lack of counter space. We purchased an oak top flip up counter extension that we installed onto the door end of the counter. As the galley AC power plug is right beside the door we now have a spot for the kettle and toaster. That and a matching oak top sink top cutting board and we have space to cook.
We added several additional shelves in the pantry, bathroom vanity, and under both galley and bathroom sink.
Huge improvement was a Fantastic Fan in bathroom and Maxx Air vent covers on all three vents - went with black colour and they look great as they match all roof components.
We absolutely love the unit, small enough to easily handle big city traffic, tight parking lots and yet big enough to spend time in.
In my opinion there is simply no comparison between the MW 22M and Outlook 22E; 22E has a corner bed, smaller bathroom, manual mirrors, while the MW 22M has electric stabilizers, heated power RV mirrors with side cameras, huge bathroom with glass shower door.
Yes you have to deal with a slide and making the bed is indeed a nuisance but more of an irritant than a problem.

Other plans to improve our 22M; installing a swivel base on front passenger seat - don’t know why Winnebago didn’t option that one, and move the smoke detector. (It is installed directly over the galley and goes off with every meal cook and kettle boil. We remove the battery for every meal prep)

So, go with the 22M, expect teething problems, be patient and work with your dealer. Remember they are deeply invested in making you happy - reputation is everything in this business or if you’re lucky enough to find a gently used one (good luck with that though) get it thoroughly checked out and enjoy the ride.
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #4
Site Team

We factory-ordered our Minnie-Winnie 22M at the end of November, and it was manufactured in January 2019. Being the second year for the model, it seems they did get all of the bugs worked-out of it. The only thing which is not working perfectly is the passenger-side rear-view mirror camera. It does get fuzzy after driving for an hour. I have deliberately waited for others to complain about the issue, and Winnebago does know of it now. I will get the camera replaced later this summer. Other than that, we love the rig!
Old 07-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
Winnebago owner

I second the reviews so far. Wife and I love our Winnebago Spirit 22M, we also have had no major issues. I an impressed with the build quality, and so far have not had an issue with coach. I am glad that after spending for a 2019 , that i'm still happy.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean335i View Post
I second the reviews so far. Wife and I love our Winnebago Spirit 22M, we also have had no major issues. I an impressed with the build quality, and so far have not had an issue with coach. I am glad that after spending for a 2019 , that i'm still happy.
Do you have any problem keeping the MH load under the CCC of the E-350?
AtleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #7
Winnebago owner

No, I don't travel with tanks full, maybe 10 gal of fresh water. Wife and I take 4 chairs , small 12000 btu BBQ, table, few tools, personal things.....weight is not an issue. IMHO I think if you were going to travel with a toad I would be more inclined to go 450...
Our experience so far is , we can park anywhere with the 24' footprint of MH, thats why we picked it , simplicity of travel. I drive a Silverado for work and use heavy material, steering can be effected.....not the MH, its planted with what we haul in it
Old 10-31-2019, 09:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hey quick question for you all, how do you add your antifreeze to water lines, I do not have enough room for 3 way valve in front of the water pump, I have been taking pump loose from mount and adding siphoning hose that way but it's a hassle, any ideas?
kcscriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:49 AM   #9
Winnebago owner

I didn't use anti freeze in water lines , hate the taste after. It took 3 tank fills to get taste out. I blow lines and pull plug on water heater. I cycle all taps and toilet, shower. I put pink stuff in all drains, toilet, shower.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

22m gas mileage

We just finished our first 3600 mile trip in our 2019 22m and had similar problems with the drains and water leaks. Winnebago representative has been most helpful.

Anyway, on our trip from arizona to florida and return we averaged 10.1 mpg (no toad). Gas in california is over $4 a gallon and we found places in texas as low as $1.73................??????????????????????//////
TATANKA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #11
Site Team

Hi TaTanka01,
10.1 MPG is really excellent. Were you running premium or regular, and at what speed(s)? California places large taxes upon their fuel. Texas sounds like the least expensive place in the country. Does that make Texas the greatest place on earth?
Hi Dean335i,
Really good to know that your drain-the-tanks and blow-out-the-lines method works well. The last thing I wish to taste is pink antifreeze; toxic or not!
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 11-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We can not detect any antifreeze smell at all after flushing, we drink bottle water, my question was how folks put antifreeze into their lines, by the way gas here in Peculiar mo. is 1.19 today
kcscriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

More on gas mileage

We found the engine pulls just about any hill in top gear at 58-59 mph. We like to cruise (with cruise control) at 60 mph which conquers all but the real steep hills in 6th. When there is no wind/tail wind I drive 65-70 w/o cruise and let it slow down a little bit on the hills to conserve gas.. We used regular gas octane gasoline all the way (most was 10% or less ethanol unlike California 20%). We also used a qt oil at the 3600 mile mark which is good for this setup. Another factor may be the airlift system I installed on the rear which makes the rig perfectly level with 30 psi of air in the bags. We keep the tires at 65 psi cold and noticed 70 psi after normal driving

I do the first oil change myself tomorrow using the Ford Filter and synthetic oil as I believe it is worn in now.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:52 PM   #14
Site Team

Hi again Tatanka01,
I believe your superior fuel economy is due, in part, to a lower percentage of ethanol. I wonder if your 10.2 MPG came from ethanol-free fill-ups?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 11-04-2019, 07:41 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Great Gas Mileage

I am unable to know what percentage of ethanol was in the gas I purchased but assume the federal mandate requires some ethanol in all gasoline? We usually purchase gas away from big cities (tucson az has smog check requirement) and in rural areas. We saw one station that had flex fuel (alot of ethanol) and it was about 60 cents more a gallon ??? Finally, several stations in texas near lakes sold gasoline for boats (ethanol free) for about 30 cents more a gallon. I have read that ford recommends premium gas which probably gives an edge on power since the engine has computer spark retard when it senses ignition knock. Since I don't tow, drive 60 mpg (light load), and seldom downshift (cruise control at 60 (gps actual 58)) I don't think there would be an advantage for me.

BTW, we took our cat and she loved the big compartment behind the drivers seat after I installed a $6 (chewy.com) cat door under the table. Keep me posted of any mods you make as I love to improve on a product as well.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:13 PM   #16
Site Team

Hi TaTanka01,
It seems that whatever percentage of ethanol is in the fuel, you get that same percentage less in fuel economy. Ethanol seems like artificial fuel filler. I run Premium in mine, and I can hear the difference in the ignition pulses. The premium runs with a little less racket.
My dog Grace won't fit under the dinette seat, and actually prefers to ride up-front in the passenger seat. Here is Grace taking a nap, one week ago, at age 13 weeks and 29 pounds:

Here are the Threads which I have started:
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/s...archid=1430902
Old 11-05-2019, 06:11 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Nice dog ! Getting training early in life to enjoy the coach I see. I will try a few tanks of premium when I find a station that doesn't gouge you with 80 cents more a gal. There are still stations that only charge 40 or 50 cents more per gallon. 50 cents more than current $2.50 here is 20% more so I would have to get 12 mpg to make it worth it. I know the higher octane makes a big difference in performance.............used to buy 110 octaine low lead at a local airport for $5/gal and mixed it with premium in my harleys. Big Difference
Keep in touch.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:35 PM   #18
Site Team

I wonder how many people buy a motorhome just so their pets can be with them at all times? I know that certainly is a major factor with me. Grace is my second M'lute (the tribal dog of the Inuit) and I would never imagine going anywhere without her. My last one (Gabriel) was also very special, and I always kept him with me. The M'lutes are the primary blood line from which the Alaskan Malamute is bred, but the M'lutes are much larger animals and an ancient blood line. Grace will probably be 125 to 150 pounds when fully-grown.
In Washington, our premium is typically 20¢ to 24¢ more per gallon, and stations that charge 60¢ more I just avoid.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:40 PM   #19

We just did an abbreviated trip to Arizona and southern Utah before high tailing it home. Put in some long days on major freeways and kept speed between 60 and 65 Mph. Once home and checked gas mileage we were pretty well at the 10 mpg mark. We travel with water and propane pretty well full and holding tanks empty as we spend nights at rest stops.
We now have 28000 Kim’s on a 2017 E 450 chassis without a toad.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:42 PM   #20

And once home we finalized trading the 22M in for a 2019 Sunstar 27 PE: which of course timing couldn’t have been worse. Looking forward to being able to actually use it.