Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2020, 01:07 PM   #21
Site Team

Hi Lowdie24,
OK, so now I'm dying of curiosity. It seemed that you were really enjoying the 22M (after getting the kinks out), but now, you are moving up to the much larger Sunstar 27P. Even your last trip was an express trip, so it seems like the more nimble 22M is a better vehicle for the job. Are you planning upon doing more extended stays at destinations, where you will appreciate the increased floor space?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 04-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #22
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

Hi
Eagle5 and other 22M folks

After much soul searching and deliberation we did opt to go for a unit with more sitting room. For us the 22M checked almost all of the boxes but we found that the U shaped dinette was not the most comfortable for sitting in for lengths of time and that the kitchen dinette area was a pinch point.
If Winnebago offered the 22M with a slide dinette we wouldn’t have moved. I don’t know why they have also discontinued the 26 A and 27 QP; both layouts work for us.
And in answer to your question yes we will be doing longer stays at parks, planning on a week stay at a time.
Still not going to tow a second car; plan on using bikes and if we desire will simply rent a car for touring.
Loved the versatility of the 22 M, drove like a dream but looking forward to the additional space and seating.

Now it’s a waiting game to see when we’ll be able to use it. But I will keep all updated of pros and cons between 22M and 27PE. At first blush the 22 M being a much newer model line has a lot of niceties the 27 PE is lacking, such as USB ports in bedroom. Minor but you get used to things like that.
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #23
Site Team

Thanks for letting us know; that makes sense. We rented all four sizes from Cruise America before purchasing, so we had a good feeling of what we wanted. Couple that with the excellent deal that Winnebago and Ford offered, it then seemed obvious to us to order a new 22M, rather than a used model of a different floor plan. I still feel that the 22M is perfect for us, but who knows what the future holds? As the great Yogi Berra said, "The trouble with predicting the future is that it hasn't happened yet." Well, at least I thought he said that.
Of course, to paraphrase from Raul's Wild Kingdom, my cell phone is 23 years old, so we don't need no sticking USB ports!

Maybe I'm getting too much keyboard time here?

Old 04-06-2020, 03:46 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

DriveWay Trips

This COVID 19 thing is taking its toll on my freedom! Spend the night sometimes in the Minnie in our driveway.Good thing is we live in the middle of nowhere and the natural beauty here is absolutely splendid.

Getting back to gas mileage, here in AZ mountains regular is 87 octane and only 10% ethanol for a few winter months. I think the only way to get any better mileage is to change the gearing. It seems to have plenty of power at 58-59 miles per hour (Garmin) and engine speed is 2200 rpm (Ford) so I expect a 10% gear reduction would net another 1-2 mpg at 65 mph depending on headwinds. Would like to hear from anybody that changed the differential ratio and the results. Hope your Sunstar delivers the same 10mpg.

Robert - nothing to fix - only to improve - Dinette is next mod as there is only two of us and the cat.
TATANKA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATANKA01 View Post
This COVID 19 thing is taking its toll on my freedom! Spend the night sometimes in the Minnie in our driveway.Good thing is we live in the middle of nowhere and the natural beauty here is absolutely splendid.

Getting back to gas mileage, here in AZ mountains regular is 87 octane and only 10% ethanol for a few winter months. I think the only way to get any better mileage is to change the gearing. It seems to have plenty of power at 58-59 miles per hour (Garmin) and engine speed is 2200 rpm (Ford) so I expect a 10% gear reduction would net another 1-2 mpg at 65 mph depending on headwinds. Would like to hear from anybody that changed the differential ratio and the results. Hope your Sunstar delivers the same 10mpg.

Robert - nothing to fix - only to improve - Dinette is next mod as there is only two of us and the cat.
There is a real easy way to change the overall drive train ratio of your Ford chassis Class C. Whenever you replace your tires, just go with a larger diameter tire size:

Our 2005, 24 foot, 2005 Ford E450 Itasca (Winnebago), 24V Class C came stock with 225/75R/E16 Michelin tires. Several years after owning it I had installed on it a new set of 215/85R/E16 Michelin tires - which are 1.2 inches larger in diameter. This larger diameter has the effect of making all gears a bit higher - of course including overdrive.

This improved my fuel mileage a bit of course due to the higher overall driveline gear ratios, but also provided 0.6 inches more of ground clearance everywhere. The speedometer reads about 1.5 MPH lower than actual, but this is a non-issue. Our Ford E450 wheel wells and front steering suspension easily leave enough clearance to go with even larger diameter tires.

I call this a "poor man's" answer to improving gas mileage and ground clearance both at the same time.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #26
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Here is the answers to your PM to me. The text was too long to accept my reply...

I’m not sure what happened either. The post just disappeared.

Here’s basically what I wrote.

Having rented many RV’s over the years, none had any suspension upgrades. When talking with fellow RV travelers—who owned their RV’s—they all said that anit-way bars were a must.

So, I had them ordered and they arrived at our home even before we went to pick-up our new RV.

That weekend, my friend who has a Jeep, and does the Rubicon several times a year, and who is very well versed in suspensions, helped me install everything.

It took us about 5 hours as I recall. One hour of that was making a trip to the auto parts store for new impact sockets as we broke two of them and a ¾ “wrench trying to get the “U” bolt off of the passenger side leaf spring for the steering stabilizer.

We bought a 2018 unit, in 2019 so it had sat around for quite some time. I think I was built in November-January of 2017-2018. So, the two nuts for the U bolt were frozen in place and rusted. We used WD-40, Break-free you name it and those bolts wouldn’t budge. The impact wrench had no effect on them, neither did a breaker bar. So, we added a six-foot extension onto the end of the breaker bar finally we could get the bolt to budge. Problem was, these threads as you can imagine are VERY fine, so it took as an hour just to get one nut off. Finally, I ended up heating the bold with a torch and we were able to use the impact drive on it. Should have done that initially.

That was the hard part.

Etrailer part # RM-RBK22-RSA (Road Master)

The rear anti-sway bar was a tad tricky just because we had to jack up the rear at one point to install some of the bolts to the frame for clearance reasons. Since we were in my driveway that slopes, we couldn't use the leveling jacks, so that took a little time. But that’s a straightforward install. This one doesn’t replace the factory sway bar; it just adds another new one. About 1.5 hours on the rear.

Etrailer part # RM-1139-146 (Road Master)

The front anti-sway bar was the easiest of all. It does replace the existing one and that install in 30 minutes or so, but you absolutely need another hand for these installs.

Etrailer part # RM-1139-140 (Road Master)

Finally, we replace the shocks with Koni gas filled to keep it from porpoising. They adjust to the ride automatically. I highly recommend them. That took only 30 minutes.

Amazon # 8805-1019 REAR 8805-1018 FRONT (Koni)
Old 05-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Slide out topper sticking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfflyer View Post
I though I’d give you all my impression of my 2018 Minnie Winnie 22M that I purchased in December 2017 and have owned for 18 months now. First off, I have been a motor home owner since 1978 when I purchased an 18 Foot, Rear Bath Cruise Master by Georgie Boy powered by a Dodge 318 - and owned it for over 39 years. That little motor home was my primary vacation vehicle for years of living in Colorado and California and my kids grew up in it. It wasn’t until I was nearing retirement when my wife and best friend suggested it was time to move up to a bigger motor home, one where we didn’t have to sleep in the cabover bed, had more room, and had a bigger bathroom.

We decided that we liked the MW (and Spirit) 22M over all of the similar models by other manufacturers of the slide out two part queen bed. Of the similar models that were similarly priced, I felt that the MW had better quality and a better overall design. I appreciated the bathroom design with a glass shower doors, a full wall-to-wall cabover bed with a window at the head of that bed, and especially the dual windows on either side of the slide out bed - perfect for cross ventilation. If there is anything that I wish they would have designed into the MW was a flip up kitchen counter extension, something that’s common on other units, as if there’s anything that the 22M lacks is counter space.

My wife and I took it out for one trip in November 2017 then put it into winter storage. (I thought buying the rig in the fall at a show would get me a better price, but in fact I’ve seen the same price in the springtime.) Next, it was used seven or eight times over the summer of 2018, but never traveling out of California. However, the biggest test was this spring - and that test is just ended.

When we made the decision to remodel out house our contractor told us the time to be gone was during the demolition phase. So on the morning they started ripping out the cabinets and counters in the kitchen, we hit the road for ten nights camping, in weather requiring use of both the furnace and the air conditioning. After that, we returned home to park our rig in the driveway and live in it as the remodeling progressed and spent a total of 30 consecutive nights in the rig.

First of all, we love the 22M. Since almost all of the camping we do is boondocking in national forest and state park campgrounds, we wanted a rig that was small enough to be able to fit into camp site parking spots designed decades ago. We considered anything longer would limit where we could take it. The reason we liked the model design is the slide out two part queen sized bed allows either of us to get up out of bed without having to climb over each other. Although we don’t (yet) tow a vehicle, I do wish we’d have gotten on on the E450 chassis for that reason only. Otherwise, there isn’t a motor home out there that we would have preferred.

The two part mattress that we topped with a three inch foam mattress topper has proved to be extremely comfortable. After 30 continuous days sleeping it, we could have easily done more. I installed two Maxxfans and would draw out air from inside the rig, pulling fresh air through the windows by the head of the bed. I am in the process of replacing the lights over the beds with smaller LED lights that can be aimed, but haven’t done any other modifications, although we are planning some small wall mounted shelves in the bathroom and the in the corners above the dinette.

Of course, there were warranty issues that needed to be addressed. First off, the Sony DVD player would regularly shut down and skip. Second, the Carefree awning over the slide out would hang up and wouldn’t retract. And finally, I was getting leakage beyond the valves of both holding tanks into the pipe across the unit so that when the cap was removed there could be up to a half gallon of liquid, both gray and black water that had to be quickly captured. These were addressed in the servicing last October, although I was was told that the DVD player was replaced, however it still skips and loses sound as before. The slide out awning also still hangs up half of the time. Both need to be addressed on the next servicing. They disassembled the valves for both tanks and found some PVC glue was the cause of the leaks. I also had a leak out of the drain in the bathroom sink that I took apart and fixed myself, and I had one side of my kitchen sink leak upon draining and I also repaired I am still concerned about the sounds made when operating the slide out like the motor system is just about to fail, stressed to the maximum. But although shaking and grinding, it works.

Overall, I’m thrilled with this motor home, a huge leap in size and amenities over my old RV. This was my retirement gift to myself and my wife, and when she retires in four years, we’ll really hit the road for some long adventures!
We have been having some problem with our topper on our slide sticking also. Do you know how they fixed it or did they replace it.
Dachs522hund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #28
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M

Actually, it’s still an issue. Every time I took it in for service, they never could replicate the slide topper hanging up. It seemed to happen more frequently when I’d been parked awhile and it had been warm to hot. It generally doesn’t hang up when it’s cold. I have an appointment to take the rig in to LaMesa RV in July when I can take it there when its hot. But unless I get out to actually use my rig, I may not actually use it before then. However, I do everything I can to get it to release. I send my wife up the ladder to make sure there’s no debris on the slide out topper, sweeping it off. And eventually, the topper will release with a CLANG! and snap tight. I just wish I could have gotten it replaced.
mcfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:07 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

2019 Minnie Winnie 22M E-350 Chasssis Gas Mileage

Quote:
We just finished our first 3600 mile trip in our 2019 22m and had similar problems with the drains and water leaks. Winnebago representative has been most helpful.

Anyway, on our trip from arizona to florida and return we averaged 10.1 mpg (no toad). Gas in california is over $4 a gallon and we found places in texas as low as $1.73................??????????????????????//////
Just finished a 1000 mile round trip from AZ to San Diego and averaged 9.8 MPG on 87 octane fuel. Exceptional considering Head and Cross Winds, 4600 foot mountain to negotiate. Rear airbag installation living up to expectations as well.
TATANKA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:15 PM   #30
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
We just finished our first 3600 mile trip in our 2019 22m and had similar problems with the drains and water leaks. Winnebago representative has been most helpful.

Anyway, on our trip from arizona to florida and return we averaged 10.1 mpg (no toad). Gas in california is over $4 a gallon and we found places in texas as low as $1.73................??????????????????????//////
I like to think of California’s property and gas taxes more of a “weather” tax...
Old 05-11-2020, 08:51 PM   #31
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M

Quote:

This another bashing of California? Whatever. Right now in Sacramento, I can get gas for $1.99 a gallon and at the Arco station I use, it’s $2.15 a gallon. Just where in California were you running into gas at $4.00 a gallon, something I haven’t seen in years?
mcfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #32
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

Good morning everyone,

Finally got the new 27PE home and into the driveway and have started personalizing it. First on the list is to install sliding pantry shelves into the upper and lower pantries; using Rev-A-Door pantry slide for lower pantry and considering building sliding drawers for upper. Biggest logistical problem is how to securely latch pantries for travel, but working on that.
Today will be a quick install of EMS 30HW (for 30 Amp Hard Wired) Electrical Management System. Decided to go with the Hard Wired unit versus the "Dog Bone" as it's one less thing to worry about during camp setup and teardown and don't have to worry about someone walking off with it.

First Impressions; galley storage not as convenient as 22M. Cupboards and drawers don't seem to be quite as logical for configuration, but "da Boss" is figuring out where things should go. Will require some tweaking, and she's making a list of additional shelves and dividers to help organize things. One plus is the much larger counter space.

On the below decks storage I am trying to load the forward compartments with the heavier items; tool box, spares, propane, bbq, etc to help minimize the known "tail wagging the dog" problem from passing semis.
On the long term list is to install a rear trac bar and a steering stabilizer to minimize this handling issue.
I have lots of spare weight carrying capacity so working very hard to only carry items I had in 22M. With the huge amount of below deck storage it would be too easy to go hog wild and carry everything I “just might possibly need”.

I am also considering installing a Black Tank flushing port, something not supplied on the 27PE - major oversight but understood as the 27PE is a much older design than the 22M (five to seven years in MoHo years equates to ???? in human years - twenty or so?) Till then it’ll be SOP to flush the head for five minutes before departing home to preload some water into Black Tank and again for five minutes prior to emptying tanks.

Now up here in the Great White North we are slowly opening up campgrounds. BC Parks open for camping June 1 and Federal campground opening schedules to be announced by the Prime Minister today. Hopefully we’ll be able to get out and use this thing in a few weeks.

More to follow….
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:14 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Hi everyone. Another 22M owner here from Oregon. Bought a lightly used 2018 E450 March 1st and haven’t been able to use it as much as planned so far due the the COVID-19 issues and closures. Did a short trip to the coast 2 weeks ago and finally did a trip down to California Central Valley to see our son and grandkids this last week. Love the MH. Everything works great and we like the layout. Nice storage. Round trip over 1400 miles and got 9.2 mpg (lots of mountain grades and we drove 65-70+ much of the way).Only issue was the smoke detector started going off for no reason as we were driving back on I-5 about gave me a heart attack. Could find no reason, so we pulled the SD battery til we got home. Just got done with giving here a bath and interior cleaning. Back on the road in a couple weeks. Our big trip will be through Idaho and Montana this fall.
Fish mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone upgraded their Pioneer head unit stereo/ camera display? I can barely see the side camera display or rear camera. I’d like a bigger screen plus the ability to turn on a side or rear camera on demand. Plus, the stereo sucks and I really dislike the controls.
Fish mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:58 PM   #35
Site Team

Hi Fish Mojo,
I wonder if the Smoke Detector picked-up outside road dust or fumes?
My disappointment with the stereo is the phone blue tooth system. I have had most folks say they cannot understand me through the provided microphone. I did buy this new Besign BK06 Bluetooth 5.0 in Car Speakerphone, and while I have not road-tested it in the Eagle5, I have road-tested it in my 1988 F-350 Crew Cab. In a noisy environment, it works very well!
Glad you had a nice trip in your new 22M!
Eagle5