Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Identify that noise and win......my gratitude

Hi all,

I took delivery of my 2020 View 24D in May and have been trying to figure out what a snickety snickety noise is when we are driving. It doesn't always happen but it's fairly loud and annoying to the point where I drive with my noise cancelling headset on lest it drive me nuts.

In an attempt to use the collective experience of this forum, I recorded the sound and it's here for your listening pleasure...or not.

It's the high pitch snickety noise. Sounds like it's coming from the slide. I've applied silicon lube to the rubber seals, tried talcum powder but it persists. I've also tried to hold onto the slide rails but that doesn't seem to stop it either.

Anyone?

Thanks very much in advance!
Frank

2020 Winnie View 24D
frankfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Can't run the sound on my machine to listen but noises are a problem to spot, so I look at things that do often make noise. One frequent item is the flap on stove vents. Sound like a lightweight metal flap banging around in the breeze?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Not sure what a metal flap banging would sound like but I've converted the m4a to an mp3 here and the sound appears to be coming from behind the driver's side position (the stove and truma and oven/microwave are all on passenger side.

Here's the file again in mp3 which should make it accessible in the browser.
https://bit.ly/2DunMSJ

Only way to describe the noise other than irritating as heck is a snicking clicking noise.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #4
Site Team

Is it speed related? My first thought was that it was wind acting on something metallic. I wanted it to be the outside vent hood door on the stove vent. But I don't think it is.

When you stop the sound stops correct?

PS. It's a tap tap sound to me, not rhythmic like an engine, but road or wind related.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The grates on our stovetop made an awful metal tapping noise. I solved by wedging folded paper towels under the cooktop cover in between the grates. Problem solved for us. Good luck!
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

@Hopeful1 Yep, we wedged some cardboard under our grates too. This sounds is more high pitched that the grates banging.

@creativepart Yes, on smooth roads (yeah right about 0.00001% of our driving), that snickety noise goes away. It doesn't make any noise when not moving. Definitely something rattling when in motion.

Thanks for the responses thus far.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfang View Post
@Hopeful1 Yep, we wedged some cardboard under our grates too. This sounds is more high pitched that the grates banging.

@creativepart Yes, on smooth roads (yeah right about 0.00001% of our driving), that snickety noise goes away. It doesn't make any noise when not moving. Definitely something rattling when in motion.

Thanks for the responses thus far.
While someone is driving it down the road, have you tried having another person walk around back in the coach in order to track down the location and the source of the sound?

We have done this several times to make things quiet back there.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Do I see seats in the slide? Considered the seat belts if they are down in the storage under the seat. We stuff ours as nobody rides in those seats and the buckles were a constant job to keep them separated and quiet.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

@PhilG My wife has rolled her eyes at me so many times when I've asked her to see what's making that noise that I spend quite a bit of time moving around back there when she's driving.

@Morich We have 2 boys who have utilized the seat belts thus far on all our trips.

I had hoped that someone would say something of the lines of "Ah that's the ---" having heard the sound clip which btw was taken at head level behind the driver's headrest. Guess I'll have to keep making sure my Sony's NC headphones are always charged when I drive until I figure this one out.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #10
Ed & Lynn

Maybe coming from roof air conditioner??? Loose insulation up in there being blown by wind as you move???
CoastalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Do you have a slide topper that rolls in when you pull the slide in? Possibly not secure where it is attached? Just a thought...
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:17 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

@CoastalEd, don't think it's coming from the AC but I'll check for loose stuff on the roof.

@Hopeful1, ooh. Very good possibility. I also have a rivet in the "cowling" in the roof area behind the bunk over cab that goes apparently into nothing...just goes through the plastic cowling part and into nothing else. Sigh. Maybe I'll remove the rivet and see if the noise goes away and check the awning part over the slide out.

Thanks much for the suggestions!
Old 08-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #13
Site Team

I think there may be an issue with your radio. It doesn’t go loud enough to mask the sounds. That’s how we fix our squeaks.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

@ThomB, haha, but you bring up a good point, the stereos in these Sprinters suck something fierce!
Old 08-10-2020, 11:12 PM   #15
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I hate noises while driving. I’ve managed to eliminate almost all. But your sound clip left me with no clue as to what might be causing the issue.

Here’s a video I did for commons sounds we eliminated.

https://vimeo.com/user37682685/revie...701/c0b8ca00c8

But there are so many more that could be your issue.

Basically, you have to find somebody who’s willing to, as you drive, walk around the coach and drill down to the culprit, or most likely culprits...
Old 08-11-2020, 10:01 AM   #16
Ed & Lynn

Quote:
@CoastalEd, don't think it's coming from the AC but I'll check for loose stuff on the roof.

Thanks much for the suggestions!
Just to be clear, the potentially loose insulation I spoke of is inside the AC housing .....and could also be i ductwork.... as air enters the AC while you are in motion it could be disturbing something in the AC airways...
CoastalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
@PhilG My wife has rolled her eyes at me so many times when I've asked her to see what's making that noise that I spend quite a bit of time moving around back there when she's driving.

@Morich We have 2 boys who have utilized the seat belts thus far on all our trips.

I had hoped that someone would say something of the lines of "Ah that's the ---" having heard the sound clip which btw was taken at head level behind the driver's headrest. Guess I'll have to keep making sure my Sony's NC headphones are always charged when I drive until I figure this one out.
Hmmm ... so you can't at least pinpoint the area where the the sound is coming from when you're moving around back there while your wife drives? I guess I don't understand!
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:08 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Wheel noise

I bet it is your rear hub caps slipping. If you have hubcaps, the day will come when they fall off. The rear wheel flexes with the weight , the clips wear down and the cover is gone. Use plastic tie downs and cinch your wheel covers through the holes in the rim. You should do this no matter what as I have lost the caps on two views. If you want to see if It is the covers simply remove them and see if the sound goes away. The description of the sound was exactly what we heard before our wheel cover flew off.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

I had a noise that was similar - was the front hubcap nut that was loose. It needs tightening quite often.
Efran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:41 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

If you have metal blinds on windows, make sure to secure them
PeterAtt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise