Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Well definitely lots of ideas and interesting noise so I'll make several suggestions. One I'm sure you have roof vents first are they closed tight? Any loose hardware up there on top of the roof from them, antenna, etc. ? If only your engine ac is running could be something in the duct work resonating, especially if its turned to outside air. Are your slides completely pulled in ? Have you checked your caulking on the outside? It could be trim slapping against the side of the unit. Low or no speed might not be enough to move it until you get up there enough. Roof, running lights etc securely fastened? Another thing I found in my last two motorhomes was loose wire covers. Underneath the rig front to back up into the rig. Bundles of this flex plastic cover over wires but not tie wrapped so it was slapping underneath and up into the rig at various locations. My older 2018 gasser was the worse spent hrs. Crawling underneath tie wrapping it all up securing it. My new to me 2018 DP wasn't that bad. Noises like that can drive you crazy hunting it down and when you find it finally it sometimes is by accident. Wish you luck and hope to hear how you make out...
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:59 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

You lubed the slide seals, but if they are Swchwintec, there is a lube the motor vireo. It sounds like metal on metal.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:40 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Noise in transit

You don't have about 4' of awning flapping in the wind as you drive I hope!!
1953m38a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:03 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Amazon has something which may help you isolate the noise for under $20.
Vive Precision Dualhead Stethoscope - Dual Head Diaphragm Bell
dhuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:07 AM   #25
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuse View Post
Amazon has something which may help you isolate the noise for under $20.
Vive Precision Dualhead Stethoscope - Dual Head Diaphragm Bell
Many of us have that, and it works well for locating noises so close to one another, that a Stethoscope type device can identify and differentiate noises in close proximity.

But, one has to be in close proximity to the noise. And there in lies his rub..he has no idea where to listen.

I hope he finds it, because noises are the bane of my existence...
Old 08-17-2020, 01:39 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I hope you have found and eliminated the annoying noise. Once, a long time ago, I discovered a noise mostly heard in travel while near the bathroom, I searched and found the metal which the right rear mudflap was fastened to was breaking as the flap moved in the wind. It was a pretty easy fix.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:44 AM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

Noises

I found two that were hard to locate. 1st was the Toyo radials have a small ridge around the circumference that rubs against the hubcap at the bottom where the tire flattens slightly and deforms the circle. Can't do nothing other then remove the hubcaps or live with it. Really annoying! Second, the range hood has a small aluminum baffle that bangs back and forth with air pressure. I put a strip of rubber gasket foam along the bottom and it helped. Just my two cents.
Maxpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:55 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Several things come to mind : (some or all of which you may have taken care of already)
1) the sliding bedroom door makes a lot of noise. We use rubber wedges (from piano tuning) and insert them during travel

2) the counterweight "ball" used for the braided sink sprayer hose under the sink is a lose canon ball and can bash back and forth.

3) the window shades can rattle as they bobble back and forth...you may want to stuff something in there.

4) somebody mentioned the vents...for sure, keep the vents closed during travel. Not only for the noise, but, they are so cheap, that the metal & plastic parts will fatigue and breakdown with repeated bouncing.

It's a symphony of noises back there. My wife made a heavy duty curtain to create a "soft separator" between the cab and the coach. Ah, it's so much better. We can listen to music now.
winniethepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:56 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Did you check the glass platter inside the microwave/convection oven?
Thanks
Dennis Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:58 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Edwards View Post
Did you check the glass platter inside the microwave/convection oven?
Thanks

Good one !
winniethepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:19 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

How about an audio spectrum analyzer app for your cellphone? As you move around your MH while it's moving, I'd expect that you'd see sound at various frequencies peak as you get close and wane as you move away from the source. The trick will be to ID the frequency of the sound in question, but, if it's that irritating, I'd expect it to be one of the loudest. With the right app, you could also make a recording and selectively eliminate frequencies from it to isolate the frequency of the offending noise.

https://www.channelpronetwork.com/sl...os-and-android

Note that I'm not a sound expert and haven't tried this but, I am an amateur radio operator (Ham), and this is similar to what we do to locate sources of radio frequency interference such as improperly shielded electrical appliances, etc.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:36 AM   #32
Site Team

Here is a very similar post on www.irv2.com regarding a different brand of RV. Also, his sounds more like a stronger noise than yours, but who know, maybe the answers there will be a help to you:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/rep...ml#post5397036
Old 08-17-2020, 01:16 PM   #33
Winnebago Watcher

I'm voting for the "hub cap clips", because, Back in 1987 I heard a similar sound and thought it was a universal-joint on the driveline. An Angel, dressed as a shop mechanic came out with a rubber mallet and tapped on all the hub caps of the coach and saved me a ton of time and money. They could have really soaked me.
CallerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:02 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfang View Post
Hi all,

I took delivery of my 2020 View 24D in May and have been trying to figure out what a snickety snickety noise is when we are driving. It doesn't always happen but it's fairly loud and annoying to the point where I drive with my noise cancelling headset on lest it drive me nuts.

In an attempt to use the collective experience of this forum, I recorded the sound and it's here for your listening pleasure...or not.

It's the high pitch snickety noise. Sounds like it's coming from the slide. I've applied silicon lube to the rubber seals, tried talcum powder but it persists. I've also tried to hold onto the slide rails but that doesn't seem to stop it either.

Anyone?

Thanks very much in advance!
Frank

2020 Winnie View 24D
I have a overhead compartment to my left. I have "stuff" in it that rattles. If I don't take extra care to secure that stuff it drives me nuts and sounds like something is about to fall off. On this last drive I decided I need to put a soft cloth or padding on the bottom of the shelf. Will be doing that in a day or so. I hope that stops the stuff from making all that commotion. Oh yea. Need to stop it from hitting the back wall too. Hope that is all you need to do.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:38 PM   #35
Winnebago Watcher

I do not think this is your source of your aggravation, but one errant noise I had was finally traced to my step over the battery compartment. I just tightened the latch mechanism and eliminated the vibration while driving.
gilbdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:32 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Hope you'll let everyone know what the mystery noise was!
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

I had a rattle/clicking sound on my Journey when new, it turned out to be the trim piece at the belt line at the end of the slideout. Not sure if you have this type trim but it was a bit crazy to find. Put an additional screw in the end of the slide through the trim to hold it more firmly.

Good Luck,
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise