RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-19-2021, 04:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 5
I am modifying my vita this is how I started

I purchased a 2020 winnebago vita in Jan 2020. It came with two 100 watt flexible solar panels a real noisy 3200 watt onan diesel generator and two lead acid 12v batteries with a wafco 50 amp converter. The first thing I did was have the dealer replace all of the roof vents with maxi fans with weather proof covers. We then replaced the lead acid batteries with three 200 amp 12v life blue lithium batteries. The next thing I did was replce the "winnebago high efficiency a/c" that would use up to 16 amps with one that has a soft start module and uses about 9 amps. I then installed a power factor corrected 3000 watt magnum hybird inverter/charger that can charge the batteries at 125 amps. The 200 watts of flexible solar was removed and replaced with 780 watts of standard solar panels running at 35 to 40 volts controlled by midnite classic 150 controller. I then purchased the quietest inverter generator I know of the honda 3000is. I placed it on a 2" hitch carrier behind the rv. The generator remains at low idle when running the a/c and is really quiet a short distance away. I then added a remote temperature sensor to the a/c so it could be controlled from where ever we are in the rv and the fan turns off with the compressor. We also added a curtain between the cab and coach area. I am also considering the dual alternator package.
vita1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by vita1 View Post
I purchased a 2020 winnebago vita in Jan 2020. It came with two 100 watt flexible solar panels a real noisy 3200 watt onan diesel generator and two lead acid 12v batteries with a wafco 50 amp converter. The first thing I did was have the dealer replace all of the roof vents with maxi fans with weather proof covers. We then replaced the lead acid batteries with three 200 amp 12v life blue lithium batteries. The next thing I did was replce the "winnebago high efficiency a/c" that would use up to 16 amps with one that has a soft start module and uses about 9 amps. I then installed a power factor corrected 3000 watt magnum hybird inverter/charger that can charge the batteries at 125 amps. The 200 watts of flexible solar was removed and replaced with 780 watts of standard solar panels running at 35 to 40 volts controlled by midnite classic 150 controller. I then purchased the quietest inverter generator I know of the honda 3000is. I placed it on a 2" hitch carrier behind the rv. The generator remains at low idle when running the a/c and is really quiet a short distance away. I then added a remote temperature sensor to the a/c so it could be controlled from where ever we are in the rv and the fan turns off with the compressor. We also added a curtain between the cab and coach area. I am also considering the dual alternator package.
Nice mod list. That generator is loud for sure. They should call it a loud diesel and not quiet diesel so buyers are more informed. I purposely paid for the quiet diesel upgrade and was in for a shock on how loud it was. My previous coach (diesel pusher) has a 7500 watt quiet diesel so I assumed this one would be quiet. From what I found out, the 3200 watt quiet diesel is air cooled only so there are no water jackets that deaden the sound. This 3200 quiet diesel is way louder than what I would consider a quiet diesel generator. They did good on the marketing. Curious what AC you went with. If it only draws 9 amps there has to be an offset of probably lower BTU'S. I've entertained switching out to a different AC but my coleman 15,000 btu can't keep up in the Vegas summers so I don't want to sacrifice cooling for lower amps. I added the soft start to the 15k coleman. At least my start ups are quieter.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 5
The a/c is a coleman 13500 btu power saver. We are working on ways to make the coach more thermally efficient. Currently the a/c should run about 5 to 6 hours on battery alone. With the hybird inverter I can add power from the generator and still keep it at idle to reduce the noise and run the for longer periods. When the a/c cycles the generator output remains the same and charges the batteries until the a/c starts again. It is a super fun system.
vita1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by vita1 View Post
The a/c is a coleman 13500 btu power saver. We are working on ways to make the coach more thermally efficient. Currently the a/c should run about 5 to 6 hours on battery alone. With the hybird inverter I can add power from the generator and still keep it at idle to reduce the noise and run the for longer periods. When the a/c cycles the generator output remains the same and charges the batteries until the a/c starts again. It is a super fun system.
If I ready your post correctly, you have 600amp hours of lithium Life Blues?

Wow I wished for that much, but don't want to take up basement space for additional batteries. I have every option that was available for the 2020 model except the dual pane acrylic windows. I know that will really help with keeping it cool/warm. I wished they had the acrylic windows that were pretinted for the View. If they had that option, I think I would order those up and install them.

Please do share any mods you have, and watch out for those plumbing leaks. Hope the Vita doesn't have the plumbing leak hoses.
__________________
2020 Winnebago View 24D
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 5
We purchased the vita 24p because of the 1500 lbs+ ccc, large tank sizes and long slide room. Unfortunely the solar controler, the 3000 watt inverter, and the batteies all have to go somewhere. I removed the 2 house batteries and installed a 200 amp 12 volt life blue lithium battery in same box (I had to change the tie down methiod). The solar controler with its circuit breaker fit under the sink. The inverter charger fit on top fo the water heater with a 2 inch dense styrofoam seperator. The rest of the batteries fit in a bottom wardrobe closet. We removed the cabinet doors and replaced the wood panels with expanded steel for ventilation. We also have leaks, the leak QC inspector must have been out on sick call the day ours was built. Soon the 600 amps of lithium battery will be increased to 1000 amps. The a/c run time should increase to 8 to 10 hours on battery. Normally the majority of our battery charging is done with the 780 watt solar aray. We only bring the quiet 3000 watt honda if we feel we'll need the A/C.
vita1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Vita 24P
 
lenore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vita1 View Post
We purchased the vita 24p because of the 1500 lbs+ ccc, large tank sizes and long slide room. Unfortunely the solar controler, the 3000 watt inverter, and the batteies all have to go somewhere. I removed the 2 house batteries and installed a 200 amp 12 volt life blue lithium battery in same box (I had to change the tie down methiod). The solar controler with its circuit breaker fit under the sink. The inverter charger fit on top fo the water heater with a 2 inch dense styrofoam seperator. The rest of the batteries fit in a bottom wardrobe closet. We removed the cabinet doors and replaced the wood panels with expanded steel for ventilation. We also have leaks, the leak QC inspector must have been out on sick call the day ours was built. Soon the 600 amps of lithium battery will be increased to 1000 amps. The a/c run time should increase to 8 to 10 hours on battery. Normally the majority of our battery charging is done with the 780 watt solar aray. We only bring the quiet 3000 watt honda if we feel we'll need the A/C.
wow quite a bit of upgrade, and I suspect a great deal of money...That is a lot of solar and I know the batteries are not cheap. Do you boondock camp only?
__________________
2020 Winnebago Vita 24P
lenore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 5
Our preference is to boondock or dry camp when we can find a place to do it. I am guessing 15 to 20 k$ when I ad it all up. This summer I am going to convert to a 24 volt system with the Magnum hybird inverter/charger. The hybrid inverter and its many features is the key to this system. When a/c is not necessary the solar does a great job keeping up with our needs. I am planning on adding a second alternator this summer to assist with the a/c loads. The compressor refrigerator is one of the main reasons we purchased the vita.
vita1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 126
Have you considered using a Honda 2200i generator? It should handle the AC with the soft start--and still be enough to do the charging, if you have an inverter/charter which you can set the charge ref current available.
__________________
Bob Austin--celebrating 57 years of RVing
2013 Via 25T
Pensacola, FL
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 5
You are correct the honda 2000i starts and runs the a/c well. I have considered a number of different generators. During the day I desire output performance and efficiency. The on board noisy onan diesel is the most efficient with the vita fuel tank as it's fuel source. During quiet hours the need changes to a generator as quiet as a generator can be. The nite time a/c and other loads require about 10 amps. An inverter generator is always quietest at an idle with small loads. As you increase the load the engine speeds up creating more noise. The honda 2000i when loaded to 10 amps speeds up becomes noisy. By using a honda 3000i it remains quiet and at an idle with a 10 amp load. The other considerations with the larger generator is longer run times and electric start that can converted to remote seart and stop.......vita1
vita1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fixing and modifying new View Salianron Welcome Mat 2 01-27-2020 10:26 AM
Just getting started! Plumcrazy Welcome Mat 2 11-15-2019 12:48 PM
Getting Started Balloonin Welcome Mat 1 09-04-2018 01:03 PM
Help! Just started trip and AC is acting up.... Fasttimes General Maintenance and Repair 8 07-24-2018 08:59 AM
Started yesterday tommyboy3700 Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 15 02-07-2014 01:37 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×