Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2021, 03:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am modifying my vita this is how I started

I purchased a 2020 winnebago vita in Jan 2020. It came with two 100 watt flexible solar panels a real noisy 3200 watt onan diesel generator and two lead acid 12v batteries with a wafco 50 amp converter. The first thing I did was have the dealer replace all of the roof vents with maxi fans with weather proof covers. We then replaced the lead acid batteries with three 200 amp 12v life blue lithium batteries. The next thing I did was replce the "winnebago high efficiency a/c" that would use up to 16 amps with one that has a soft start module and uses about 9 amps. I then installed a power factor corrected 3000 watt magnum hybird inverter/charger that can charge the batteries at 125 amps. The 200 watts of flexible solar was removed and replaced with 780 watts of standard solar panels running at 35 to 40 volts controlled by midnite classic 150 controller. I then purchased the quietest inverter generator I know of the honda 3000is. I placed it on a 2" hitch carrier behind the rv. The generator remains at low idle when running the a/c and is really quiet a short distance away. I then added a remote temperature sensor to the a/c so it could be controlled from where ever we are in the rv and the fan turns off with the compressor. We also added a curtain between the cab and coach area. I am also considering the dual alternator package.
vita1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:42 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by vita1 View Post
I purchased a 2020 winnebago vita in Jan 2020. It came with two 100 watt flexible solar panels a real noisy 3200 watt onan diesel generator and two lead acid 12v batteries with a wafco 50 amp converter. The first thing I did was have the dealer replace all of the roof vents with maxi fans with weather proof covers. We then replaced the lead acid batteries with three 200 amp 12v life blue lithium batteries. The next thing I did was replce the "winnebago high efficiency a/c" that would use up to 16 amps with one that has a soft start module and uses about 9 amps. I then installed a power factor corrected 3000 watt magnum hybird inverter/charger that can charge the batteries at 125 amps. The 200 watts of flexible solar was removed and replaced with 780 watts of standard solar panels running at 35 to 40 volts controlled by midnite classic 150 controller. I then purchased the quietest inverter generator I know of the honda 3000is. I placed it on a 2" hitch carrier behind the rv. The generator remains at low idle when running the a/c and is really quiet a short distance away. I then added a remote temperature sensor to the a/c so it could be controlled from where ever we are in the rv and the fan turns off with the compressor. We also added a curtain between the cab and coach area. I am also considering the dual alternator package.
Nice mod list. That generator is loud for sure. They should call it a loud diesel and not quiet diesel so buyers are more informed. I purposely paid for the quiet diesel upgrade and was in for a shock on how loud it was. My previous coach (diesel pusher) has a 7500 watt quiet diesel so I assumed this one would be quiet. From what I found out, the 3200 watt quiet diesel is air cooled only so there are no water jackets that deaden the sound. This 3200 quiet diesel is way louder than what I would consider a quiet diesel generator. They did good on the marketing. Curious what AC you went with. If it only draws 9 amps there has to be an offset of probably lower BTU'S. I've entertained switching out to a different AC but my coleman 15,000 btu can't keep up in the Vegas summers so I don't want to sacrifice cooling for lower amps. I added the soft start to the 15k coleman. At least my start ups are quieter.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The a/c is a coleman 13500 btu power saver. We are working on ways to make the coach more thermally efficient. Currently the a/c should run about 5 to 6 hours on battery alone. With the hybird inverter I can add power from the generator and still keep it at idle to reduce the noise and run the for longer periods. When the a/c cycles the generator output remains the same and charges the batteries until the a/c starts again. It is a super fun system.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:56 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
The a/c is a coleman 13500 btu power saver. We are working on ways to make the coach more thermally efficient. Currently the a/c should run about 5 to 6 hours on battery alone. With the hybird inverter I can add power from the generator and still keep it at idle to reduce the noise and run the for longer periods. When the a/c cycles the generator output remains the same and charges the batteries until the a/c starts again. It is a super fun system.
If I ready your post correctly, you have 600amp hours of lithium Life Blues?

Wow I wished for that much, but don't want to take up basement space for additional batteries. I have every option that was available for the 2020 model except the dual pane acrylic windows. I know that will really help with keeping it cool/warm. I wished they had the acrylic windows that were pretinted for the View. If they had that option, I think I would order those up and install them.

Please do share any mods you have, and watch out for those plumbing leaks. Hope the Vita doesn't have the plumbing leak hoses.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We purchased the vita 24p because of the 1500 lbs+ ccc, large tank sizes and long slide room. Unfortunely the solar controler, the 3000 watt inverter, and the batteies all have to go somewhere. I removed the 2 house batteries and installed a 200 amp 12 volt life blue lithium battery in same box (I had to change the tie down methiod). The solar controler with its circuit breaker fit under the sink. The inverter charger fit on top fo the water heater with a 2 inch dense styrofoam seperator. The rest of the batteries fit in a bottom wardrobe closet. We removed the cabinet doors and replaced the wood panels with expanded steel for ventilation. We also have leaks, the leak QC inspector must have been out on sick call the day ours was built. Soon the 600 amps of lithium battery will be increased to 1000 amps. The a/c run time should increase to 8 to 10 hours on battery. Normally the majority of our battery charging is done with the 780 watt solar aray. We only bring the quiet 3000 watt honda if we feel we'll need the A/C.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
We purchased the vita 24p because of the 1500 lbs+ ccc, large tank sizes and long slide room. Unfortunely the solar controler, the 3000 watt inverter, and the batteies all have to go somewhere. I removed the 2 house batteries and installed a 200 amp 12 volt life blue lithium battery in same box (I had to change the tie down methiod). The solar controler with its circuit breaker fit under the sink. The inverter charger fit on top fo the water heater with a 2 inch dense styrofoam seperator. The rest of the batteries fit in a bottom wardrobe closet. We removed the cabinet doors and replaced the wood panels with expanded steel for ventilation. We also have leaks, the leak QC inspector must have been out on sick call the day ours was built. Soon the 600 amps of lithium battery will be increased to 1000 amps. The a/c run time should increase to 8 to 10 hours on battery. Normally the majority of our battery charging is done with the 780 watt solar aray. We only bring the quiet 3000 watt honda if we feel we'll need the A/C.
wow quite a bit of upgrade, and I suspect a great deal of money...That is a lot of solar and I know the batteries are not cheap. Do you boondock camp only?
Old 01-20-2021, 06:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Our preference is to boondock or dry camp when we can find a place to do it. I am guessing 15 to 20 k$ when I ad it all up. This summer I am going to convert to a 24 volt system with the Magnum hybird inverter/charger. The hybrid inverter and its many features is the key to this system. When a/c is not necessary the solar does a great job keeping up with our needs. I am planning on adding a second alternator this summer to assist with the a/c loads. The compressor refrigerator is one of the main reasons we purchased the vita.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Have you considered using a Honda 2200i generator? It should handle the AC with the soft start--and still be enough to do the charging, if you have an inverter/charter which you can set the charge ref current available.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

You are correct the honda 2000i starts and runs the a/c well. I have considered a number of different generators. During the day I desire output performance and efficiency. The on board noisy onan diesel is the most efficient with the vita fuel tank as it's fuel source. During quiet hours the need changes to a generator as quiet as a generator can be. The nite time a/c and other loads require about 10 amps. An inverter generator is always quietest at an idle with small loads. As you increase the load the engine speeds up creating more noise. The honda 2000i when loaded to 10 amps speeds up becomes noisy. By using a honda 3000i it remains quiet and at an idle with a 10 amp load. The other considerations with the larger generator is longer run times and electric start that can converted to remote seart and stop.......vita1
Old 09-18-2021, 05:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
Do you have any schematics of your incredible mod. I want to add lithium but am having a difficult time as a diy.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #11
Vita 24p

Curious as to which refrigerator you have. My 2021 24p came with a 120 volt compressor type that needs to run off invertor . I thought I remembered reading when I initially researched Vita it came with a 12 volt compressor .
bmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmark View Post
Curious as to which refrigerator you have. My 2021 24p came with a 120 volt compressor type that needs to run off invertor . I thought I remembered reading when I initially researched Vita it came with a 12 volt compressor .
All Vita's came with the 120 volt residential refrigerator. I even saw the exact same refrigerator at my local SAMs club last year. It was much cheaper for them to do this. All said and done very happy with this refrigerator. lots of room and is actually very efficient. My 24P is on the 2018 Chassis but is a 2020. By the way please join us on the Vita & Porto FB site if you havent joined. lots of tips and great crowd.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have continued my modifications by adding a 4000 watt 24 volt magnum hybird inverter, cooper bussman 24v to 12v down converter, nations 24v 140 amp dual alternator kit, 2 additional life blue 200 amp 12v batteries, surge protector for alternator, black and grey tank heaters, and circuit breakers and switches for safety. I now have 10,000 watts at 24 volts and 2500 watts at 12 volts. The system works well and we were at GNR. The diesel heater is next. Sorry i do not do facebook. If you have any questions please reply.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:07 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

If you would like to add a lithium battery.....In the vita, the life blue 200 amp 12 volt battery fit in the battery box below the step, I only had to change the battery hold down. call lifeblue battery and ask them if you need to do any other changes my understanding it will work with the system you have........I hope this helps ....vita1
Old 09-21-2021, 07:57 AM   #15
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
If you would like to add a lithium battery.....In the vita, the life blue 200 amp 12 volt battery fit in the battery box below the step, I only had to change the battery hold down. call lifeblue battery and ask them if you need to do any other changes my understanding it will work with the system you have........I hope this helps ....vita1
Question did you remove the relay under the passenger seat and use a dc to dc converter for charging the batteries.? I am having dificulty figuring out how to protect alternator from overcharging. I am installing a 280ah lithium that I am constructing. I also will change out the converter under the bed to provide proper charging for lithium. Solar I have 400 watts and the zamp controller will do for now.
do you have a picture of your mods
Old 09-30-2021, 06:26 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

When I first purchased the vita I was in Arizona. I didn't have access to all of the equipment I have at home. While I was still in Arizona I removed the two lead acid batteries and installed the 200 amp life blue. After the life blue battery was installed, I monitored the engine alternator charging and did not see a problem. My major charging is always done by solar and I always use solar to top off the batteries. When I returned home I removed the zamp controller and the relay under front seat. I then installed a switch to control the kilovac relay I installed in its place. The switch allows me to control when the engine and coach batteries are connected together (the normal position is off). The switch has three positions off, the Winnebago position (it closes the relay any time the engine is running), and the last position turns the relay on and it stays on until it turned off (in that position I can charge the engine battery from solar). According to Life blue their battery has BMS and a number of other safety systems installed and will work with any charging system. I replaced the Zamp solar controller with a Midnite classic 150 solar controller (with the midnite I have total control of how the batteries are charged). I am trying to make this simple. I hope you can understand what I did in the beginning. The original system will still works as it did when I purchased the vita the only exception being the 24 volt solar charging. Having 780 watts of solar 12,500 watts of battery storage, it is rare for me to use the other sources for charging if am not using a/c.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:10 PM   #17
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
When I first purchased the vita I was in Arizona. I didn't have access to all of the equipment I have at home. While I was still in Arizona I removed the two lead acid batteries and installed the 200 amp life blue. After the life blue battery was installed, I monitored the engine alternator charging and did not see a problem. My major charging is always done by solar and I always use solar to top off the batteries. When I returned home I removed the zamp controller and the relay under front seat. I then installed a switch to control the kilovac relay I installed in its place. The switch allows me to control when the engine and coach batteries are connected together (the normal position is off). The switch has three positions off, the Winnebago position (it closes the relay any time the engine is running), and the last position turns the relay on and it stays on until it turned off (in that position I can charge the engine battery from solar). According to Life blue their battery has BMS and a number of other safety systems installed and will work with any charging system. I replaced the Zamp solar controller with a Midnite classic 150 solar controller (with the midnite I have total control of how the batteries are charged). I am trying to make this simple. I hope you can understand what I did in the beginning. The original system will still works as it did when I purchased the vita the only exception being the 24 volt solar charging. Having 780 watts of solar 12,500 watts of battery storage, it is rare for me to use the other sources for charging if am not using a/c.
Thank you, I built my own Lithium battery with raw cells and a BMS. 280AH and so far it is working well. I installed Renogy DC to DC converter for charging from engine. I replaced Part of the 50A converter with the upgrade lithium charging circuits. I still want to replace solar converter with MPPT controller and I have added two 100 watt solar panels, for total of 400 watts.
I am amazed at how fast the battery charges up from the solar. I am at below $850 so far with eveything.