Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2023, 03:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Lightbulb How to access the slide motor and wire harness?

How to access the slide motor and wire harness?
Unfortunately*there is fault*code:* 8 red blinks on one of the slide out*motors. It means there is a problem in the wiring or the motor itself - which I could confirm by visual inspection - right at the wire* connectors of that motor.
Now the challenge is*that* there is no accessibility*to the motor unless I will cut out a part of that D shape* casing the motor seats it ... How do professionals deal with this situation?
How do you ever replace a motor you can not* have access to?*
Any info would be highly appreciated
Navion2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 04:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

On my Vista the access is from outside with the slide partially open. You have to remove a vertical plastic trim piece on the outside wall, on the side with the motor problem, to see the wall part of the slide assembly. On mine you access the screw that holds the motor on the drive shaft from outside with the slide partially open. Then with that screw out you can lift the motor off the shaft.

The motor wire harness on mine goes down underneath a piece of vertical plastic trim on the inside wall. There's 5 wires, 2 power the motor, and 3 are Hall rotation sensor POS NEG and SIGNAL

You can put the controller into a mode where the switch operates the motor in manual over-ride mode where even if there is a problem with the Hall rotation sensor or it's wiring the IN/OUT switch will operate the motor for as long as the switch is held. This may help you isolate the problem. In my case the motor would work in manual mode and that indicated there was a problem with the Hall rotation sensor or it's wiring.

On the end of the motor is the Hall rotation sensor covered by a removable cap. the shaft attached rotating ferrite magnet that stimulates the Hall sensor broke on one of my motors.

Some other things you can do to isolate the problem is to "flip" the two motor cables on the controller. If the problem moves to the other side then it's a bad controller.

The Hall Power is feed on brown and green and blue is the signal. Before you "flip" it's a good idea to confirm with the cable unplugged from the controller that there is no short to ground on brown or blue.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't think I have much to add other than mentioned except it sometimes helps to have a picture?

This is a snip of the parts drawings for your RV showing the motor close up.
Click this to get a better view or the parts drawings are here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	slide.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	185430

What I have seen kind of looks like they need to rethink the way the wiring is supported as it seems the wires come from below and go all the way to the top of the slide without anything to support them. This long wire bundle pulling down seems to make the wires suspect where they bend to go into the top of the motor.
I might like to see them attached to the slide to remove this weight hanging down all the time!

But I also might recommend looking online for videos of where and how this might be found. Lots may not be exactly like your rv but some may be close enough to get some good ideas?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your kind replies!
I will first try to put a new connector on the motor part as the existing one exhibits signs of failure where the brown wire is. However I am baffled as to where to find such a wire harness? will i have to buy an entire motor just to be able to cut a wire harness from it!
P.S. It looks like it will be impossible to get the motor out as it is covered by the aluminum casing...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wire harness damaged.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	185433   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2023-03-19_19-13-03.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	185434  

Old 03-20-2023, 05:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
On my Vista the access is from outside with the slide partially open. You have to remove a vertical plastic trim piece on the outside wall, on the side with the motor problem, to see the wall part of the slide assembly. On mine you access the screw that holds the motor on the drive shaft from outside with the slide partially open. Then with that screw out you can lift the motor off the shaft.

The motor wire harness on mine goes down underneath a piece of vertical plastic trim on the inside wall. There's 5 wires, 2 power the motor, and 3 are Hall rotation sensor POS NEG and SIGNAL

You can put the controller into a mode where the switch operates the motor in manual over-ride mode where even if there is a problem with the Hall rotation sensor or it's wiring the IN/OUT switch will operate the motor for as long as the switch is held. This may help you isolate the problem. In my case the motor would work in manual mode and that indicated there was a problem with the Hall rotation sensor or it's wiring.

On the end of the motor is the Hall rotation sensor covered by a removable cap. the shaft attached rotating ferrite magnet that stimulates the Hall sensor broke on one of my motors.

Some other things you can do to isolate the problem is to "flip" the two motor cables on the controller. If the problem moves to the other side then it's a bad controller.

The Hall Power is feed on brown and green and blue is the signal. Before you "flip" it's a good idea to confirm with the cable unplugged from the controller that there is no short to ground on brown or blue.
Thank you Man, This is my case as there is a plastic trim glued and siliconed on the outside. What a hell of a job removing it, I don't wanna even think about removing a huge and fragile plastic trim...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo_2023-03-20_15-50-18.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	185438   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2023-03-20_15-50-24.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	185439  

Old 03-20-2023, 08:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

On our RV, we were able to work from the inside and pull the rubber flap back enough to see the motor. Any chance for you?

Name:	slide motor.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	185442
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your reply!
Unfortunately in our RV there is an aluminum casing behind this rubber seal...
It looks like we will have to cut off a piece of that casing in order to be able to get the motor out - I will try to take a pic ...
Old 03-20-2023, 08:42 PM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

If this is a Lippert System, they have about 400 videos on YouTube to choose from—some of which may help you with your specific slide out…

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...ICAo7iwjJeeBZq
Old 03-21-2023, 07:11 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Your slide exterior trim looks very similar to my WBGO product. Confirm the following with the WBGO help line but it looks like you should remove the trim immediately adjacent to the side of the slide. The trim runs the full height of the slide - is about an 1 1/2 wide - is 'U' shaped with openings at the top and bottom.

That trim pops off with some gentle persuasion with a plastic scraper or tool starting on one end or the other. Once you do that - you should see a row of screws holding a metal plate (? black) that holds the slide out gaskets. Remove that medal plate and the motor will be better exposed.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

There was a mobile RV repair tech in the northwest USA that posted some great videos on youtube for the Lippert Swintek system, that I used to educate myself when I had the motor failure about 2 years ago.

Update: "H" rails may be confusing. It's like a sideways "H" but only the sides of the "H" are mounted on the slide box and only the vertical piece is mounted on the RV sidewalls. On my 2015 Vista 27N the vertical piece is mounted on a Winnebago "L" extrusion that goes all the way on each side of the slide that is attached to the outer sidewall of the RV with many many fasteners.

Unfortunately he was working on a different brand that had all the motor and H rail access from inside. At least on Vista, Winnebago mounted the "H" rails differently than Thor and the access to release the "H" and service a motor is from the outside, but the information is still very helpful for understanding the details of the system and troubleshooting it.

On my 2015 Vista, that plastic trim piece had one screw at the bottom, hidden under the slide seal, and then it would slide down and off exposing the metal plate that secures the H rail to the outside sidewall of the RV, there was only one glob of adhesive caulk at the bottom besides the one screw that was holding it. In fact one of those trim pieces on my 2015 Vista did not have the screw and when that glob gave way the piece started to slide down the side of my RV and almost fell off before I could re-secure it! My memory is that the trim is "C" shaped and is in a groove on both sides of the metal plate it slides in to, that it can't just be "popped" off it has to be slid off. I'd be worried about damaging it trying to "pop" it off if it were me.

If I recall correctly, I had to remove all the screws on the plate and move the whole "H" out a couple of inches to remove and replace the motor on my 2015 Winnebago. With all the screws out the "H" would move with the motor retaining screw out and the motor lifted up off the drive shaft. So long as the other side is "normal" the slide is held in place by the other side and won't move or fall out.

Wish I would have taken some photos for your reference but I did not.

FYI, if you end up deciding you need a new motor, there are some 3rd party motors for sale on Amazon that are MUCH cheaper than the Lippert replacement motors, that might be worth taking a chance on.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Slide Motor

I have a vista. When my slide motor when out the problem was the wiring from the controller to the motor. The great engineering wisdom Winnebago added a pig tail from the end of the wiring from the controller. The wires are so small they pulled out. It took a long time to find the pig tail part number. The two parts locations said there was no pig tail in their parts list. I finally called Winnebago engineering and obtained the part number. The part number is 379056
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide