Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2019, 12:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

House Batteries with higher Ah

I thought this was posted a week or so ago but can't find it. Sorry if it is a duplicate post.
We have a 2019 Winnie View D24 with 2 stock 12 volt NAPA house batteries. I think each has 60-70 Ah each which makes it a total of at most 140 Ah. I would like to boondocks for 1-3 days occasionally. Not sure there is enough power available. There a 2 100w panels that charge the batteries. Has anyone changed out the stock batteries for higher capacity ones? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Chemosavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:50 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We have almost the exact same setup in our new to us View and as we have always almost done immediately upgraded the coach batteries just a few weeks ago, even though the previous owner has replaced the stock batteries just last year;

Costco (Interstate) $93 each w/core for 6 volt deep cycle GC2 batteries (Arizona).

This thread was a great reference for we had never had batteries mounted underneath the steps;

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=65759

And what we plan to do this weekend is install a Buck Converter to stop the propane solenoid valve drain as well, as discussed here;

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=68288
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
Ed & Lynn

I replaced the cheap Napa wet cell batteries rather quickly on our new Fuse. Installed two 12V 100AH AGM batteries. Real nice now not to have to worry about cell electrolyte levels. Just finished four nights boon docking in the Arizona desert. Our 200W solar kept the batteries up nicely. No TV use, but did run the furnace a lot on the chilly nights. Charge controller indicated we were using about 35% - 40% of our battery capacity and the charger just managed to put that much back in. Poor solar panel efficiency, though, as they are mounted flat and the sun was low in the sky. Probably could have nearly doubled my charge ability if I could tilt the panels.
CoastalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:39 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2017 View. Those NAPA batteries are junk. I installed two Trojan T1275 batteries and use 300 watts of solar. These are 150 aH each for a total of 300. I have my install pictures in my profile photo album. I do a lot of remote camping and these work for me. It was the most I could find for the small space under the steps of a View that was cost effective. If money is no object then their are some good lithium options since they are less than half the weight but 8x the price..

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/dat...ata_Sheets.pdf
Old 02-06-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Here is a great educational video on batteries. He has some great informative video's

Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #6
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Simply put, AGM (maintenance free) batteries are better than the "wet" or "flooded" type but carry a higher price, maybe double. They all suffer from a resistance to fully charge and fully charging takes 12-24 hours after dry camping. Anything less will adversely affect the battery's life and usable power capacity over time. For boondocking or dry camping, lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4), although very expensive initially have more than three times the capacity in Ah for the same size battery at half the weight and 4-5 times the life expectancy (thousands vs a few hundred charge cycles) and only take a few hours to fully charge from 20% state of charge vs. a maximum of 50% from lead-acid batteries, no matter the type. They can also be partially charged without suffering any damage. If you are serious about boondocking, there is no better solution and actually less expensive over the typical life cycle (6-10 years) of lithium batteries where you will need to replace the lead-acid batteries 3-5 times all the while having less than half of the capacity.

If you can wait 3-4 months, ReLion will have the latest technology in battery performance on the market with a GC2 (12 volt golf cart size battery) with 120 Ah per unit. One of these will outperform 2 lead-acid batteries of 60-75 Ah capacity. Start with one battery (around $1,300) and see if you have enough capacity for your needs and upgrade to two if necessary. Note: GC2 batteries have the same footprint of the 24/24M size battery but are 11" tall to the top of the terminals. This may be a deal breaker for you but you can always fall back to their standard size RV (75-100 Ah) batteries that are not as tall but may be longer and/or wider using the "standard" lithium technology.

Look them up and give them a call for the official details.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

On our Via, we replaced with Golf Cart AGM's 220 amp hours. I have been using Battle Born 100 amp hour LiFePO4 batteries on my boat. These will each give a good 90 amp hours power battery--or somewhere near 180 amp hours for the two. These are case size about the same as the group 24's and should fit under the steps. I have heard of people getting them for in the $800 each range. They are good for over 3000 cycles. There are now combiners which allow you safely to use the Li ion batteries, with lead acid or AGM starting batteries. Another advantage is light weight--at about 30#. Vs 70 # for the AGM I am using.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:55 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataway4 View Post
On our Via, we replaced with Golf Cart AGM's 220 amp hours. I have been using Battle Born 100 amp hour LiFePO4 batteries on my boat. These will each give a good 90 amp hours power battery--or somewhere near 180 amp hours for the two. These are case size about the same as the group 24's and should fit under the steps. I have heard of people getting them for in the $800 each range. They are good for over 3000 cycles. There are now combiners which allow you safely to use the Li ion batteries, with lead acid or AGM starting batteries. Another advantage is light weight--at about 30#. Vs 70 # for the AGM I am using.
Plus they can be taken down to 0 charge without damage vs 50% for AGM's, Golf Cart batteries. They will also charge back 4 times faster. In the long run the Lithiums are pretty well even up on the same number of other types of batteries but they add a lot of convenience. When we finally pull the trigger on a new Class C or TT this is the system that looks good to me:
https://battlebornbatteries.com/shop...ithium-bundle/
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I understand that his is the battery voltage vs current capacity which Battle Born supplies. This is the reason I don't discharge the last 10%. The voltage drops rapidly in the last 10%. (I am using one 100 amp BB in a boat, powering two chest type freezers/refers, which combined draw average about 60 amp hours in 24 hours)

I wonder what studies really show life cycles of over 3000? I would like to see depth of discharge/vs life cycles for the LiFePO4 battery. Even 3000 cycles are far more than 95% of us would use in the time period we owned an RV. I have owned RV's since 1962, about 57 years. The longest I have owned any one RV has been about 8 years. I have owned 15 RV,s (Corvair GreenBriar conversion, up to 42' diesel) or an average of almost 4 years per RV. Some years we lived. aboard for the entire year, some half the year--and many only weekends and a few vacations.

The other limit is the rapidly of discharge. Battle Born calls for Maximum continuous current is 100 Amps, while battery can provide 200 Amps for 30 seconds. The battery will tolerate 0.5 seconds surge current. For a single 12 volt 100 amp battery this is pushing it for a microwave.

There is also a natural decay of capacity during the years...down to maybe 75% at 10 years.

For those who truly boondocks a lot, the Li ion batteries make a lot of sense. As prices come down, we will see more using them.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsontoy View Post
I have a 2017 View. Those NAPA batteries are junk. I installed two Trojan T1275 batteries and use 300 watts of solar. These are 150 aH each for a total of 300. I have my install pictures in my profile photo album. I do a lot of remote camping and these work for me. It was the most I could find for the small space under the steps of a View that was cost effective. If money is no object then their are some good lithium options since they are less than half the weight but 8x the price..

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/dat...ata_Sheets.pdf
Sounds like what I need. Can you use the TV for a little while dry camping?
Old 02-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Yes, There has been times when both are on all night long.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #12
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Take a look at ReLion (relionbattery.com). They have the next generation of lithium coming out in a golf cart (GC2) size battery. It will be using prismatic cell design for higher energy density and a really intelligent built-in battery management system. It's well worth your time to review their specs. Battery should be available this spring and was announced at a big golf convention in Florida last month. Best wishes.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the quick response Tucsontoy. One other question if OK with you: You mentioned both are running all night, is that two TV's? Do you think it would work with the main TV and fridge? Will be purchasing the Trojans very soon. I like the spare tire mount as well.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Yes, that is with two TV's on. I do not have the compressor refrigerator but my guess one night is fine but the sun better shine for the second day.
Take a look at this post:
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...es-351970.html

Tags
batteries, house batteries