Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2023, 04:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

12v Wire for rear camera on 2021 Navion?

Anyone have an idea of where I can find a hot wire in the rear of a 2021 Navion to hook up a camera to. It can come from the coach battery or chassis battery.
Thanks
mikeday91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We don't get the true wire by wire schematicson the Rv after 2010, so without knowing which model of 2021 Navion you have it is a bit of guess where is best to find power. A lot will depend on when you want this power hot and where you want it, high/ low, etc.

For low power and when the headlights are on, just tapping into one of the taillights, sounds easy. If you want it more full time hot, looking at the starter solenoid for the generator will get a good solid connection with much higher amp capacity.
A trailer connection is often a good place to tie in for power for a light, etc. but I see no connector on your RV.

Left side rear storage seems to have several items which might have power at the right time. I see several switches and a light. I would not want to try the water pump switch as it is likely to have several switches on the pump, making it hard to get one that is full time.

One way to sort where a wire goes and what it does is the code that is stamped on each wire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	185517

Once you have the code in mind, you can use this chart for decode to find if it goes to power and under what conditions.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The Navion has a 7 way towing connector down by the hitch receiver. That may be a good place to pick up Ignition On 12 volt power and a good ground.

Ground is a large gauge white wire.

+12 Ignition On will be opposite from the ground on the 7-way. Could be black if part of Mercedes chassis harness or if Winnebago had to extend it it will be yellow with a Letter Code.

You can google 7 way connector and see how the connector pins are oriented, 12V and GND are on opposite side outer pins.

The 12V Ignition On feed is likely 15 or 20 amp so you will want to fuse down to whatever the wiring you extend from there can handle. For just a camera I'd fuse it down to no more than 5 amps.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 05:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Our 2020 Navion 24V came with a backup camera that is viewed through the dash monitor. Your 2021 didn't? Or are you trying to install a camera that will be on all the time, not just when the transmission is in reverse? Seems to me the easiest solution is to connect it to a clearance light and drive with your lights on. It's safer to do that anyway (ie., daytime running lights).

Tags
camera