Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2020, 04:31 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Hitch mount storage

Anyone have suggestion for a hitch mount storage that is enclosed? The 24D fllor plan I have severely lacks in storage.

Only thing I've seen so far is the stowaway2. Not sure if that one is any good or not.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You might want to check out some of the many "vanliving" forums and Youtube videos, hitch mount storage is a big thing with the van conversion folks. I think your biggest issue will be weight and security. Home Depot, Lowes and the like have a lot of heavy duty, structural foam tool storage boxes that could be mounted on a hitch-mount rack. Fortunately, in contrast with vans, you don't need a swing-away rack.

Here's one such forum to get you started: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/

It's a sister site to Winnieowners, but keep in mind that many, if not most of the Sportsmobile members, are serious off-roaders so their needs are typically more robust than those of the typical Winnieowners.

Google is your friend.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I originally had a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier for the scooters only. It maxed out my tongue weight for the hitch at 600 lbs. The problem with MH's is the road "bounce" that puts a lot of strain on the hitches and cargo carrier tubes when they are at their load capacity, which is what happen to mine after 8800 miles. I had quite the sag from the cargo tube starting to bend. Im not sure what you will be hauling extra, but most cargo carriers are 500 lbs.
I just recently put this model SW46 (4ft x 6ft deck )on my Chieftain for my scooters and bikes. The pics listed on the website are actually mine after installing all the tie downs for the scooters and added the bike rack. ( the bikes used to be on the ladder). I now have put 110 miles over interstates, back roads and gravel on this setup. It has performed beyond my expectations and took the strain off my rear hitch. You could put a large enclosed storage box on the deck or customize one . The manufacturer is located just outside Houston Tx.Just another option that is out there.

https://www.cruiserlifts.com/collect...nsport-systems
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Stowaway 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
Anyone have suggestion for a hitch mount storage that is enclosed? The 24D fllor plan I have severely lacks in storage.

Only thing I've seen so far is the stowaway2. Not sure if that one is any good or not.
I have one and it’s excellent. Strong, locks, swing away feature. Have to occasionally check the rubber seal around the lid for leaks though.
johnevans3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I had one of these with the swingaway option. It was perfect for my class B, and I let it go when I sold it a couple of years ago. Model 59109, purchased in Michigan and installed by the place I bought it. I could have done it myself, there are some install videos on the web for them. The company (Rola) is headquartered in MI, as well.

https://www.rolaproducts.com/product...rcNBz7ZQmlWAv2

It worked well, had two locking points, a 4 pin light connector for my class IV hitch connector, a low point water drain, and seemed reasonably watertight driving in the rain, but it wasn't rated as waterproof. It sat just low enough that it didn't conceal the rear license plate on my van, so I didn't need the kit that lets you mount the rear plate on the back of the carrier. You could release the 4 point latching system, and remove the cargo box, if you just needed the tray portion. It traveled to Alaska with us, and carried all sorts of odds and ends including spare fuel and some other spare fluids.
I would recommend it. If they still make it??? I think they do.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage