Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-31-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hitch kayak & bike carrier

Hi Everyone.
Have been enjoying our 2019 MW 22m.
Had that little leak of water in the corner of the bathroom opposite the sink by the shower, something wasn't tight enough beneath the panel, bottom outside of shower, but warranty covered. Probably something that should have been done at Winnebago or dealer. The real challenge has been dealing with our cat, Pusch, who is 18 today. She's definitely a trooper, loves the pull out bed, doesn't understand where half of it goes when the slide is in, but content with the other half, & believe she loves being away & having our undivided attention.
Getting back to my question. My husband & I love kayaking, 16 years, & we really like having our bikes. I've been researching for months now on how to carry them along with us, not many options out there at all. Eventually we might think of getting a tow vehicle, but not right away. If any of you have & do tow, would also appreciate advice on that as well, I know only certain cars are compatible in 4 wheel towing. There's one company that seems to have the best option, although expensive, RVkayakracks.com, Yakups brand, made by veterans & in the USA, both great reasons to support the business. If anyone out there has dealt with this company and or rack, I'd appreciate your reviews, they're located near Lake George NY, approximately 3 hours from us. I've been told & have read that having a local metal fabricator make one for me, possibly at half the price & more secure welding, makes for a sturdier carrier. Opinions on that also welcome. I'm sure the back end of the motor home might have the most stress on it, so wondering how practical a rear hitch carrier would be to carry our toys. Thanks so much. Happy Halloween!
CantTakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
Site Team

I would recommend that you consider using a Roadmaster 10" Hi-Low Hitch to use in conjunction with your Kayak Rack, should you decide to go with a hitch carrier. I discuss that in my post here; third picture down.

Let us know what you find.

Happy Halloween; Eagle5
Old 10-31-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi Eagle 5. I can always count on you!
I spoke with the people at rvkayakracks.com, they make their own hitch risers, not too different in price from the the roadmaster high low hitch adapter.
They determine whether it's needed & it sits close to the hitch, so as not to let the carry load stick out too far.
Now I will ask them the weight capacity of their risers & about the roadmaster in comparison, thanks to you!
Really like your dirt bike!
You must be an engineer, your instructions are extraordinary to say the least!
Any advice regarding winterizing the rv?!
Have been watching video after video, some use compressors to get all the water out before putting the rv antifreeze in, others do not.
I think we're going to have it done this year, watch the guy, & will know for the future what to do.
Love your over the sink dish drying idea, the truck seat covers, & for bringing my attention to flipping the armoire door, agree it's great idea. Love the Robin Williams RV movie clip, too funny!
Thanks for all of your help always.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:08 PM   #4
Site Team

Oh yes, I was a Boeing Engineer, but have been retired for what seems like decades now. Time moves slowly for me since I retired; not sure why, but life is good.
Glad I could help with some of my posts, and of course others on this forum with all of their great ideas too.
In South Bend, it mostly rains all the time, and the freezing weather isn't too often. Since I took delivery at the end of January, I haven't done the anti-freeze method. I tend to use the Eagle5 for frequent small trips. One of my neighbors puts five gallons of RV antifreeze in his holding tank, and runs it through all of his plumbing (bypassing his drained hot water tank). The bad part about that, he says, is getting all of it flushed-out in the Spring. So far, I'm considering buying an oil-free compressor (instead of my oiled shop compressor) and blowing the water out. I must admit that if you have the waste tanks drained, have drained the hot water tank & the fresh water tank, and opened the under-the-dinette drainage valves and the sink taps, it seems like you might not have too much water left in the system anywhere. I might just go ahead and try the blow-out method, but I'm not sure how much I will actually get out, after draining the system.
Regarding the Dirt Bike, it is a 1990 Suzuki DR350SL. I bought it new, and now have 31,500 miles on it. It is a very good trail and around-town bike.
Robin Williams was a wonderful actor and comedian. Of course, I also love Spaceballs, and the motorhome in that movie, The Eagle5. Now, to add those wings!
Old 11-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hi Eagle 5. I knew it! Had forgotten the connection. Fun movie. You're more than qualified to design & install those wings, & flight apparatus to put a variety of Winnebagos in flight! Start with the class C's tho! That would be one amazing motor home, especially if you're sitting in traffic, or decide to go over seas. Would need a real life patent, can't have spaceballs writers & creators coming after you. I had a large moped, looked like a motorcycle, when I lived in California years ago, used to ride it all over the place, loved it. I think not being on a rigorous schedule as with your job for a while now just makes your body naturally relax & go into a totally different mode. You've been on your own schedule now, very different. You seem to keep busy! Also, not being around a different variety of people as one is when at the work place. That can sometimes be a real blessing, but also a good, needed, creative distraction. I think one tends to become more introspective having fewer outside distractions. Any transition is rough even if you've been at it for a while. Glad you're good. Thanks for the info. on winterizing the rv. They say it's hard the get the rv antifreeze out of the holding tanks, better to bypass. Trying to find the you tube video, but there's one out there, they say not to push the compressed air after releasing all of the water because the hoses & fittings are inexpensive plastic, might not hold up. Of course if you don't use a lot of air pressure that might be ok, but might not do the job. We're having the winterization done next week, reasonable price, watching them do it, I'll let you know. Must be nice not having freezing weather, but I do like lots of sunlight. Can't wait for the day we can go south, away from the deep winter months. We do get away for a little while tho, need to kayak! Wish others would reply about the yakup carrier, someone has to have it out there in Winnebago Class C RV land! Saw a few general reviews on other rv forums, seems to be sturdy & worth getting. You can eventually have a towing hitch added to the setup if needed, nice to know you can if ever decide to do that. Of course have to check on the hitch weight, carrying weight, etc.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hitch Carrier

Hi Eagle 5
we too carry our bicycles and kayak (tandem) with us.
we moved the Hitch mount bike rack to the RV hitch via Tandem receiver.
Then bought a Hitch Extender for the Kayak. That allowed us to use our SoftTop Jeep without having to get one of those cage-racks for the jeep (4 point bolt on all the way around). We used a sturdy light rack for the jeep to handle the bow. We zip tied some pool noodles over the metal bars to prevent scratching.

https://smile.amazon.com/Tricam-SLE-...165479&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Rugged-Ridg...omotive&sr=1-1

couple of ratchet tie downs and it's been working great for us for thousands of miles so far.
-mike
CigarBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hitch Kayak Rack for

There's one company that seems to have the best option, although expensive, RVkayakracks.com, Yakups brand, made by veterans & in the USA, both great reasons to support the business. If anyone out there has dealt with this company and/or rack, I'd appreciate your reviews, they're located near Lake George NY, approximately 3 hours from us. I've been told & have read that having a local metal fabricator make one for me, possibly at half the price & more secure welding, makes for a sturdier carrier. Opinions on that also welcome. I'm sure the back end of the motor home might have the most stress on it, so wondering how practical a rear hitch carrier would be to carry our toys. Thanks so much.