Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-29-2019, 01:10 AM   #1
Site Team

Great idea from Bill (vanovafan) to flip the right-hand closet door on a 22M

It never occurred to me to flip-over the right-hand closet door on a Minnie Winnie 22M until I read Bill's (vanovafan) original post on the subject. I flipped mine over today, and I love it! Because the door is symmetrical both vertically & horizontally, there is no problem with doing the change. Thank you Bill for this great idea.

Here is the original door configuration with the Slide-out deployed.

Here is the modified door configuration.

Here is the modified right-hand door with the slide-out retracted and the door open. Closet access is now possible!

The notes that I took doing this job are below.
With the Slide-out deployed, remove the two screws of the Strain Relief.

Note that the catches are about 7/8" inboard of the edge of the door. This means that the final installed door (in the closed position) will cover the six holes left by the original hinge placement.

The catches need about 1/8" clearance, as can be seen here. We will use this clearance measurement for the placement of the hinges in our next step.

Removed the six screws holding the hinges of the right-hand door to the door jamb (the hinges themselves stay attached to the door). Next, lay a patch of Painter's tape on the left-hand door jamb near where the upper and lower hinges will be. Position the door in the flipped orientation, and slide the door to the right, so the catches are laying against the right door jamb. With the right-hand door at the matching level of the left-hand door, mark only the top hole of the top hinge, being sure the hinge is flush against the wood. Place the door down, and measure to the left of this hole by 1/8". This is where you will drill a small & shallow pilot hole. Mount the door with only this one screw at the top hinge hole, and then mark the bottom hole of the bottom hinge, again with the lower catch against the right-hand jamb. Remove the single screw holding the door at the top hinge, and again, place the door aside. Measure inboard by 1/8" on this bottom mark, and drill your second pilot hole there. Remove the painter's tape, and mount the door with the top-most screw, and the bottom-most screw. Pilot-drill and add the other four screws.

To position the two roller catches, place small strips of Painter's tape on the approximate right-hand door jamb location. Mark the waterline of the catch, and center your roller at that level, with the two screws going into the wood in the center of the closet jamb. The roller should be set to flush with the outside surface of the jamb.

Re-install the strain relief so that the right-hand door cannot impact the left-hand door handle.

Using a knife blade, shave-down the mushrooming of the old holes. With wood putty, fill-in the old holes.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Also, Due to interference getting in and out of the closet, I moved the privacy curtain Hold strap to the other end of the curtain rod. Curtain now stores against TV/bathroom wall.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M

This looks like a great idea!! A really great idea!

Thanks, Eagle5! I may look into doing this myself!
mcfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
Site Team

When stuffing objects into the closet which are too large for the door opening, the door edges can be scarred by the slide-out rack. I have installed two pairs of these felt pads onto my cabinet doors, to prevent damage, and also to preclude the doors getting stuck in the rack.
Eagle5

Tags
closet door flip