Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
RGM
Winnebago Watcher

Gray Tank Vent Issue

We have a 2017 Minnie Winnie 31K. When the shower drains or the kitchen sink drains the water drains slowly and gurgles as if the air pressure in the gray tank is not being released. The vent that runs up to the roof is open. According to the plumbing diagrams on Win.'s site the only vent is the roof vent that goes up the rear side of the shower.
The fuller the gray tank the more pronounced the problem is, which would make sense if it is a vent problem since when the tank has more water in it there is less air to compress and once the air is compressed it would start to gurgle or bubble to relieve the air.

Anyone else have this problem or have a solution.
Thanks
Old 12-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #2
JBP
Winnie-Wise

have you look at the connection between the tank and the vent line?
2017 it should still be under warranty have you ask the dealer?
Tray empty the tank with the valve open does the water run fast?
If you can try running hose to the roof and putting water in tank from roof, this may confirm vent is stopped?
`I have read that sometimes the lines are not attached to the tanks correctly.
Good luck. Let me know what you fimallyn come up with.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

A couple of other things that you can easily check. Check the shower drain for an accumulation of hair. A yucky job but a likely source of the problem. The kitchen drain can get plugged up with grease and other stuff. Pull the p-trap and see if it is clear. Drain cleaner (Liquid Plumber, Draino, or similar) can be used to clear both drains.

The vent pipe is a little more work but a quick trip to the roof and a water hose can tell you whether or not the vent is clear. Sometimes insects build nests in the vent pipe than can block it.

One final thing, and best left to the dealer, is that the vent pipe extends too far into the tank. This can be caused by a manufacturing mistake or the pipe has actually slipped down. Your symptoms sound like the vent pipe extends too far into the tank.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
RGM
Winnebago Watcher

Jim and Roger,
Thanks for your suggestions.
In answer to the good suggestions you made to check.

The connections between the tank and vent line are good.
If I just crack the drain valve it releases the air pressure and gurgleing stops and it drains to the tank just fine.
I have checked the vent on the roof and it is open. It T's into the drain line on the back side of the shower with the kitchen sink drain line.
The diagrams that WB posts only show that vent no vent directly to the tank, and I can not find one crawling under and looking. I find this odd since
every other RV I have had has a vent line directly from the tank. If it had a vent directly to the tank I have had that problem with a fifth wheel we had and I know how to fix that.
I have looked at the diagrams and the piping and it all seems to match.

The shower and kitchen sinks are clean, no hair or grease.

I have called the tech line at WB but they are not very helpful and you aren't allowed to talk to the tech line the dealers use. I had a Grand Design fifth wheel before this and was spoiled with the service and information that Grand Design would offer when you called in.

I plan on looking at everything one more time and then doing the dealer thing but am not too optimistic about the service from the dealership. I just need to get this diagnosed prior to Feb. 1 when my warranty runs out. While this is a pain I have waited to see what other issues might come up before taking it in, I am pleased that I haven't had a lot of warranty issues and have been able to solve most of them myself rather than leaving the MH at the dealer for weeks on end to get it worked on.

Again thanks for taking the time to make suggestions.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
JBP
Winnie-Wise

let us know what you eventually find out.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:55 AM   #6
RGM
Winnebago Watcher

Took the Mtr Hm in under warranty to get the drain system checked on Dec. 11th and got it back on Jan. 29. They checked the whole drain system and could find no blockages, all the p trap devices were working. The came to the conclusion that the single vent that runs up the wall by the shower was not venting the tank. This is the same conclusion I came to.
In any case, after talking with the factory they put a vent in the top of the tank. I have not crawled underneath to see exactly how they plumbed it but it has solved the problem. Everything drains as it should. Don't know if anyone else with the 31K has had such a problem but ours appears to be solved.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

There should be a vent under the kitchen sink......it should be like a vacuum break vent.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
RGM
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks but that vent under the sink was not the issue.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE= Don't know if anyone else with the 31K has had such a problem but ours appears to be solved.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting back. Your reply will help others via the archives, I'd wager.

When I read of your problem, I looked up the plumbing diagram (different from my older 31-C) and I couldn't imagine how the designer could expect that 1-1/2" line to drain all the way across the coach and simultaneously vent the tank. Might work if there were a considerable "slope-to-drain" but of course that couldn't happen under the coach.....it is probably more like level.

Really glad to hear all is well. Gotta feel for others with your model cuz I doubt they are gonna hear from WGO......but then maybe they will (when people in hell get ice water, lol)

Safe travels....... ed s in Denver
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, vent