Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-01-2018, 07:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Smile Fuse LP generator questions

We are looking at a fuse with the LP genset. We have a small dog and need it to run while in store or on road . And wonder how long it runs on a tank of LP. Would rather have a diesel or gas one that runs on RV tank. But they said fuse only LP. Need opinions and any thoughts on somebody who has a fuse. Also when on road does air coming from front dash unit cool back of RV when on the road worried about dog ? To stay cool while on coach on the road ?
Thats a RRRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thats a RRRV View Post
We are looking at a fuse with the LP genset. We have a small dog and need it to run while in store or on road . And wonder how long it runs on a tank of LP. Would rather have a diesel or gas one that runs on RV tank. But they said fuse only LP. Need opinions and any thoughts on somebody who has a fuse. Also when on road does air coming from front dash unit cool back of RV when on the road worried about dog ? To stay cool while on coach on the road ?
We have a 2018 Fuse and it has the LP generator. We live in southern Arizona and also travel with a pet, so keeping the RV cool is also a concern of ours as well. A couple of comments.

First, we have found that running the dash AC is sufficient to keep the entire RV cool when driving. The Fuse is only 24 feet and if the dash AC is set at a cold temperature and the fan is set relatively high we find it cools the entire place. If it is very hot (perhaps 110F +) we may also run the generator and the roof AC, but only until we get out of the heat.

Next, if we stop and leave the RV for shopping or lunch we make sure the generator is on so we can run the roof AC. Those periods usually only amount to perhaps an hour at a time and we have not noticed particularly high LP usage from the generator.

I do not know how much heat you are battling where you live and we do not generally stop for extended periods in the Arizona heat. During the summers we are traveling to some place cooler and only stop and leave the RV when we are at some cooler location, but "some cooler location" may still be fairly hot (perhaps 90F +) and then we do as above.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Your propane generator is going to burn 1/2 - 3/4 gallons of propane per hour when under load. I don't know the size of a propane tank in a Fuse, but you should be able to figure out how long you can run before refilling the tank.

Don't know if a diesel generator is even an option on the Fuse but if it was, I'd choose it. I much prefer to have my generator run on the main fuel supply used for the coach and leave the propane to power water heaters, furnaces, and the stove.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
I don't know the size of a propane tank in a Fuse, but you should be able to figure out how long you can run before refilling the tank.
The Winnebago specs say that the tank is 13 gallons although they say to not fill it more than 80%. 80% of 13 is 10.4 gallons, but you don't want to empty the tank before refilling, so say perhaps 8 gallons.

At 1/2 gallon per hour that gives you 16 hours of continuous under-load use. At 3/4 gallon per hour that gives you between 10 and 11 hours of continuous under-load use. Of course these figures depend upon the assumed usage figures of 12/34 gallons of propane per hour and perhaps that varies by what the "under use" term means. Probably running the microwave uses less propane than the air conditioning, but I am guessing about that.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

It might also be worth mentioning that we have now run our LP generator for a couple of hours and our LP gauge still reads full. Of course I do not know how accurate our LP gauge is and perhaps the tank is not as full as it appears - only time will tell - but I would think that our tank would show some usage after 2 or 3 hours of having the LP generator run.

The long and short of it is that I have not had the RV long enough to get a good sense of how long the LP generator can run on a tank of gas but I am more optimistic than I was when we first got the RV.

That may change after our next trip, so I will try to post updates.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

general information re LP gauges:

they can only fill to 80% the LP tank so the tank is not "full" but just over 3/4 full - a 13 gal tank will be only filled to approx. 10.4 gal.

probably on the safe side to estimate with previous burn/load mentioned in previous msg. and go by that, don't want to run out of LP and get the fridge warm
Old 11-01-2018, 06:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We have a 22ft outlook and the dash ac has been pretty good at keeping the coach cool. We will cool the coach down with roof ac before hitting the road. If it's hot out while driving we have turned in the genny to run roof ac. If you can get gas or diesel genny, I would do that so you don't have to drive with lp on.
Heyheyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Our Minnie Winnie 237Q stayed at a reasonable temp using just the dash A/C during our Alaska to Indiana and back trip last August. Must add that the weather wasn't hot until we arrived in IN, and much overcast and rain on the way back up though.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2017 Fuse 23A. Like everyone said, the front A/C will cool the unit fine by itself. Buy a couple of small clip on usb fans for the rear and stir the air in the back and everything will be fine. we use these: The conFUSEd RVer: USB Fans

We even leave the Fuse idling when we stop for lunch if we are staying in the motorhome. Ford said that was fine. Just don't do it over high grass.

The generator uses a little less than 1/2 gal per hour running the roof A/C on max. We run the generator when we are out and about leaving our Beagle in her motorhome. It has no problem keeping things cool in the Fuse so long as you put a shade in the front windows. That and the skylight in the shower is where most of the heat comes in. With 1/2 gal per hour we have really front get below half full in 3 days of our normal use in the summer. (we live in Florida so it is hot and humid).

My concern was finding LP. We have not had any problems finding LP in the last 3 years of ownership.

Don
The conFUSEd RVer
dp226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, generator