Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2020, 03:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Furnace issue in Minnie Winnie

Last weekend the furnace in my 2015 Minnie Winnie worked great! this weekend, not so good. Full propane tank, refrig and stove were good, but the furnace would fire up for 1, 2 or 3 minutes and shut down. I was running on 12 volt only. I could hear pilot light and was during the night so no chance for closer inspection. I have not had time to visit the manual. Any ideas on why it would shut down? My batteries were showing low charge and probably need replacing, but cabin lights worked well. How dependent on 12 volt power is the furnace fan?
Glesamiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Furnace fan is totally dependant on 12 VDC to run. Do you normally hear the fan start first and then the burner fire up?
The way I expect to see this work is the following:
1. I close the thermostat which makes the fan start almost immediately
2. The fan running makes airflow through the furnace to open a sail switch as a means to make sure they do not pump gas into the furnace when there is no airflow to move it out.
3. IF (big if!) there is adequate airflow to move the sail switch to open, the gas valve snaps open and the fire lights.

Step three is a frequent problem if there are no screens over the furnace vents to keep bugs like wasps and mud daubers from building a nest in the vents and stopping the airflow! Fan may start and run but not enough flow to open the sail switch and do the rest. If fan runs, check for bugs! If the fan doesn't run at all, check power to the furnace. Possible corrosion on wires at the furnace is one frequent problem.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Richard, I believe you are on target with my problem. I am very new to RVing and this was third outing and the first trip using the furnace. The first night of trip , the furnace worked well. The second night was the problem. Of course batteries were well topped to begin with, but not the night of the problem. The battery indicator had shown that the batteries were down, I don't remember the actual indication. I ran generator for 1 hour in the evening, but used a lot of lights. I'm not sure if the burner ever lit or not? The coach is 5 years old and I questioned the battery health prior to this issue. I am not knowledgeable enough to determine actual battery condition. I have not had time to spend with the motor home, since, but will charge batteries as best I can and try furnace again and pay notice to burner. A second issue is that I need to research batteries and how and where to purchase, if they are needed? I currently have 2 wet cell batteries that appear to be original, 5 years old. My motor home usage will be random weekends and a few week long trips, probably 75% using shore power and 25% off grid.

Thanks,
Gary
Okanogan, wa
2015 Minnie Winnie 31K
Glesamiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I find I cannot leave the furnace on at night just due to the noise of it turning on and off. But yes, the fan is a fairly large draw of power--just not sure how large.

If your batteries are 5 years old they are almost certainly shot since RV use is a hard use. Many here recommend getting golf cart batteries or true deep cycle batteries (not hybrid deep cycle/starter) since they can handle the discharge better.

But you don't need to charge your batteries to test the furnace. Just plug into shore power.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Be aware that batteries are one of the things that appear so simple but actually are much more difficult to understand than most give credit. One of those is how we find the charge of a battery. Voltage is the quick and simple but it is also easy to get the wrong answer!
Putting a charge in a battery is like pouring black ink into a barrel of water. If we put the ink in and look right away, we see it really black and we think it is fully black, but if we give it time and the black spreads all through the barrel we may look and not even notice the black!
When we put a voltage on a battery to charge it and then take the charge off and look at the posts to measure the "surface charge" of the battery tells us it is good but after it sets and the chemicals all through the battery get stable, we may find it looks like the barrel and not much charge!
To get a better idea on a battery condition, we need to charge it over a much longer period as it is a slow chemical process that may take a full day or more, but we need to leave it alone for several hours and then check the voltage.
A better way is to test the specific gravity of each cell but that is rarely done and shops now are more likely to do a load test, which is a way to simulate an actual use put on the battery. Auto parts places often do this for free.
One of the reasons we see so many problems with RV batteries is the way we often use them. We drive to a site, know the batteries are charged, so we use them overnight and take a fair amount of charge out, so we drive or run the generator for an hour and check the voltage. It shows the battery is fully charged (surface charge?) and we do the same thing again for a night or two and then all of sudden, in the middle of the night, the furnace stops and we may find the batteries are dead. What the heck is wrong?
If we take power out for 8 hours, put it back for one hour, and do it often enough, it does get too low to operate but how long that takes varies a lot---just to confuse us!
We operate in pretty much the same way you describe as most often we do want water and electricity. That leaves me to be okay with the far lower cost of batteries from Wal-mart as good enough for what little battery use we put on them. I use the deep cycle but do not pay premium for extreme hour ratings as we find they last plenty long if I keep from drawing them way down to damage or let them go dry when stored or charging.
This is one we use for the coach batteries but in the size/shape to best fit the battery compartment.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...-MCA/180350522
This is not the best choice if one uses the RV in a different way as we each need to setup our RV for the way we use it!
We will camp without hookups only under extreme conditions but far prefer to have convenience and comfort and drive out to view the remote. No point in doing lots to get out in the woods if you grew up in the woods. It's a nice place to visit but you can't sell us on wanting to live there! We did that when we slept in tents!
Old 08-09-2020, 06:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hi ! Have a 2018 Micro Minnie 2108 DS. Had a similar experience while in Arizona. Furnace Fan would kick in but no heat and shut off after 20 seconds.
Found out it was a sail switch. Problem solved but not cheap. Lots of heat now! Knock on wood!
Dave V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

When dealing with this situation, there is a pretty easy way to check if the venting is restricted. Just check the airflow into and out of the furnace vents on the outside. It is easy to get a report that the sail switch was bad, when it is actually more aa case of the switch can't blow up because there is a bug's nest built on or near it! The name "sail switch" does a good job of describing this switch as it actually has a flap which has to "sail" in the wind to operate! So if the sail switch doesn't work but you still feel lots of air through the vents, odds are pretty good that something is blocking the sail!
Old 08-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Just to be clear. Our 2108ds was 2 months old. Diagnosed as a sail switch under warranty. Not one dealer in the Phoenix valley had a sail switch. We had to get one sent to a dealer in Mesa from Canada. No bugs just a faulty switch. But yes that could happen ❗️
Dave V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave V. View Post
Just to be clear. Our 2108ds was 2 months old. Diagnosed as a sail switch under warranty. Not one dealer in the Phoenix valley had a sail switch. We had to get one sent to a dealer in Mesa from Canada. No bugs just a faulty switch. But yes that could happen ❗️
Yes, did not mean to imply that it can't be a bad switch, I just tend to like to look close before going to a shop but when under warranty, it certainly fits.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem with my 2018 2401RG. I took the cover off the furnace (the black cover on the ourside of the trailer) and located the sail switch that is attached to the fan housing. When I took the switch out I noticed a spider web that was on the switch that didn't allow it to move. It is very tempermental so it moves very easily but a spider web can cause it to not sense any air flow thus not allowing any gas to enter the chamber. It was a quick and easy fix for me. Hopefully yours will be as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3531.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	174557  
Sanfordja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace