Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-05-2021, 02:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fresh water tank level

The fresh water tank level indicator was at 1/3 but I was out of water during a recent stay in my 2021 View 24D. The water heater gave an error code and the faucet was just sputtering.
Anyone out there had a similar problem?

Bobbit
Bobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Did you try to use the drain valves to verify whether or not the tank still had water?

Have you reached out to the service department at your selling dealership? If you aren't too far from them, you should have them check this.

Even when our fresh tank level is shown as "E", we still have some water left - enough to run the faucets and hot water for a little while longer.

If that's not happening at 1/3, then there is something wrong - that should be checked, either the sensors aren't reading properly - or possibly there's a problem with the fresh water tank itself...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

As a way to start understanding the seemingly weird stuff our RV do to us, I really like to know what I have and where, so the "parts catalog" can be an amazing thing for actually looking inside the RV for where things are located and what they actually might look like!

Start here to sort down to your specific year, make, model and at times even the serial number:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

In your case, you have a plumbing, fresh water question, so I moved here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/2020/327453.htm

By sorting and choosing which system to look at and choosing the correct view, angle and zoom level, you can often turn the Rv around and trace where each line goes, see what that line is made of and what it connects! Great stuff if you happen to be chasing a leak, maybe?

Maybe you just want to know where the tank fits? But maybe there is a need to know how the black tank flushing system runs? There is a good chance most of us would not know we had a vacuum breaker, let alone knowing where it was and what it was called, so I find this an amazing tool, even if only to look to see where they put things!

Even just showing why the left side might sag a bit more when we fill the fresh water tank?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021 view1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	178698   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021 view2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	178699  

Name:	2021 view3.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	178700  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The sensors on the View/Navion are the cheapest kind they make. They are called dummy sensors because it only reads in 1/3 increments. So once it hits the 1/3 level sensor, it can read empty either though you still have 1/3 tank. Winnebago should have used better sensors like the competition. I switched out my sensors to sealevel sensors that read the entire tank capacity in % readings.

As for the 24D, you can lift the right side of the top mattress (big part of mattress and not the removable pillow portion), and you can see the tank and the 3 sensors on the right hand side through the bed slats. You could either have water still in the tank (you will see it with a flash light)and air in the system and the pump is not getting water through, or the bottom sensor could be a problem or fell off. They are just glued on. I would first visually check that water is in thr tank.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbit View Post
The fresh water tank level indicator was at 1/3 but I was out of water during a recent stay in my 2021 View 24D. The water heater gave an error code and the faucet was just sputtering.

Bobbit
Do you need to only believe what your fresh water tank level indicator shows ... or as an alternative, can you look at your fresh water tank directly to visually see what level the water is?

Our fresh water tank is under the bed. I can just lift the end of the mattress where there's a visual inspection rectangular hole through which I can look down at one end of the freshwater tank. The tank material is a white translucent plastic - so I can see what level the water is in it. This makes for a great "backup" to the tank level indicator.

You may be able to do something simiilar in your RV.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

This morning I went to the water compartment and completely drained my fresh water tank.
My tank level monitor still indicates 1/3.
Guess I’ll take it in to a dealer and have it checked out.
Bobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
This morning I went to the water compartment and completely drained my fresh water tank.
My tank level monitor still indicates 1/3.
Guess I’ll take it in to a dealer and have it checked out.
This sounds like a definite "best move" on a new one!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Really wish WBO used better sensors for the water tanks. Having only E, 1/3, 2/3 and F is pretty "old school", and it shouldn't cost that much more to get a more accurate measurement.

If the tank is empty and reading 1/3 - something is definitely wrong - and should be fixed (under warranty)...
Old 05-09-2021, 07:30 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Crah - what Sealevel sensors did you use to replace the factory installed ones?
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:30 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
Crah - what Sealevel sensors did you use to replace the factory installed ones?
I installed the Garnet 709-BTP3 SeeLevel II Tank Monitoring System with Bluetooth. Got the 16 inch long sensors, as the 24D has tall tank for fresh water, and all floor plans have tall tanks for the waste tanks as well.

Changing the gray and black tank sensors were the most useful, and fresh water last. The tanks are still taller than the 16 inch sensors. All the factory wiring was reused, so the sensor install on the tanks were not that bad.

Cutting out the hole on the panel up by the One Place panel took the longest time.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:33 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I mounted the sensor read out here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200824_194855.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	178765   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_091808.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	178766  

Old 05-10-2021, 10:19 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the information and for the pictures. Very big help for others who follow your lead.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:40 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Looks like it has enough buttons to replace the functions of our One Place panel (diesel generator) - if so, could it be mounted where the One Place is located, probably using a plate to get it to mount over the larger hole...
Old 05-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
Looks like it has enough buttons to replace the functions of our One Place panel (diesel generator) - if so, could it be mounted where the One Place is located, probably using a plate to get it to mount over the larger hole...
Yes it has all the same function with the exception of 1. It does not have the chassis battery voltage.

If I had access to a nice oversize plate that matched the other trim, I would have replaced the 1 place. It would have saved a little weight as well, as the one place panel is heavy. Every little oz weight reduction helps on these Sprinter chassis.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:29 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

We have lithium batteries, so the battery voltage reading isn't that useful - better to use the Lithionics app to get the exact charge % for each battery.

How difficult was it to install the sensors - did you install them on fresh/gray/black tanks and the propane tank? And how difficult was it to get the wiring up to the panel?
Old 05-10-2021, 11:35 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Looks like Garnet also sells a filler plate - I suspect it covers the One Place hole...
Old 05-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
We have lithium batteries, so the battery voltage reading isn't that useful - better to use the Lithionics app to get the exact charge % for each battery.

How difficult was it to install the sensors - did you install them on fresh/gray/black tanks and the propane tank? And how difficult was it to get the wiring up to the panel?

Not the house battery (chassis battery voltage). Still not that important though.

I have sensors on fresh, grey, black, and propane (propane doesn't require a new sensor). You utilize the existing.

Wire connection to the tanks are easy. You use the existing tank wires. (Cut the wires to the existing dummy sensors (I removed the sensors as well) and connect to new tank sensor. For the black tank, I did have to extend the existing sensor wires. At the one place, you use the existing wires. No new wires are required for the job. You will need some 12 volt butt connectors of your choice. I used ones with shrink wrap built into the connector. Let me know if you have other questions. It was one of the best mods I put in besides the additional 30 gallon fresh tank.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:11 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Is the fresh water tank accessed by removing the fixed compartment panel by the water/electrical compartment (on a D)?

It looks like the See Level II is sold out - another COVID shortage...
Old 05-10-2021, 04:14 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Is the fresh water tank accessed by removing the fixed compartment panel by the water/electrical compartment (on a D)?

It looks like the See Level II is sold out - another COVID shortage...
No. On the 24D floor plan it is behind the murphy bed. You remove the big part of the mattress and remove one of the slats. That will give you enough room to reach the tank and the sensor. It is on the right hand side.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:49 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Bobbit
I had the same issue: water pump sputtering, level reading 1/3 when in fact the tank was empty. I took my 2017 View to Camping World for service. Diagnosis: unrelated cable harness was impinging on the bottom sensor, interfering with the signal. Solution: reroute the cable harness and lash it in place.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water