Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2020, 05:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Faucet Aerator

On our 2014 Aspect the flow from the bath sink faucet is slowing. No other faucet has this problem so its not flow for the rig. Most likely the aerator needs cleaning - but how do you get it out??? Its recessed into the fixture, I've tried turning it just with friction but I suspect whats slowing the flow may be causing it to bind. Internet research shows there are recessed aerators out there but they have notches or some other way to grip the little rascal - which ours doesn't have.

Do I need to disassemble the whole faucet to take this out and get the lime or whatever cleaned off?
Old 11-01-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
Site Team

Perhaps build-up a disposable cup with tape to make a "bath" for the faucet aerator, and then pour-in CLR to let it soak?
Old 11-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Perhaps build-up a disposable cup with tape to make a "bath" for the faucet aerator, and then pour-in CLR to let it soak?
Or vinegar, if you're out of CLR?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Can we ask a bit about what this aerator is made of? Plastic or cheap metal is standard but work a bit different. Also a picture taken looking up into the ting might give some hints.
But then there are also times when we just want to get it out and not mess with saving the thing---as long as we don't mess up the faucet!
I tend to not have too much respect for small plastic stuff that comes with RV, so there are times when I go full "bullmoose" and don't mind if it does break it, so I get to replace the irritating thing!
So how does this fit your personal idea? Force a set of longnose pliers up into the aerator as a "handle" and then hope it unscrews before we twist the center portion out of the aerator! One of those times when the pliers hold and a crescent wrench on the pliers gives the leverage to break things.....
Then the question getting enough out to take it to a store to match up the threads exactly to replace the aerator.
OR as a simple thing, does a faucet with a big hole in the aerator but full flow sound okay?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Turns out the bottom of the spout within which the aerator is recessed is a plastic plate. If the faucet is removed I presume it can be taken all the way off. But, it had enough flex I could make a space big enough to get at the aerator with a pair of pliers and get it loose.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:01 AM   #6
Site Team

The right tool for the right job:
ION TOOL 7” Angled Needle Nose Pliers – 90 Degree Bent Nose Pliers
Old 11-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have taken a plastic bag with vinegar in it and slipped up over the end of the faucet end and used string or tape to hold the bag on. I usually leave the bag on for 6-24 hours.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The same thing happened in our 2017 Aspect 30J. I replaced the aerator with a new one from Home Depot...and it did the same thing several months later. No other faucet was doing this. I purged the system and then the wife asked if we could get a different faucet as she didn't like the stock one. We picked out a Moen "gooseneck" and it works great! We can move the neck around as needed. After the purge, no other problems with it plugging.

Al
Old 11-08-2020, 04:35 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I didn't like the flow from our bathroom faucet from day one.

After a year of bother and cleaning several times, I unscrewed the aerator, made sure it was clean, then took a 1/32" drill bit, and added about 8 new holes to the aerator. I now get all the flow I want, and the water is still bubbling.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Look for a piece of plastic that may have come with the faucet it looks like a plastic wing nut it fits up and into the faucet and when you get it out soak it in vinegar at least an hour
exboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:23 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by exboater View Post
Look for a piece of plastic that may have come with the faucet it looks like a plastic wing nut it fits up and into the faucet and when you get it out soak it in vinegar at least an hour
This^
Lot of faucets need special aerator tool. We ran into similar problem with new faucet when we redid our bathroom...but olymber either kept the plastic tool or threw it out with the packaging. Not expansive, but an unneeded frustration having to go to town for a replacement.
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:21 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Way back in my plumbing days (early 1980s) I installed many faucets and shower heads that had flow restrictors built into the aerators or shower head. Back then they were just a simple brass disk with about a 1/8" hole in the middle. The idea was that they helped reduce water consumption.

The owner of the plumbing business had previously left the flow restrictors in the fixtures, but received a lot of complaints about weak water flow. He removed the restrictors and the customers were happy. Thus, is became customary to just remove them upon initial installation.

While doing my own DIY plumbing work now, I see that the restrictors have evolved from the simple brass disk to a design that's an integral part of the aerators. In this case the water flow is forced around a central "plug" and through a multitude of tiny holes around the edge of that "plug", thus restricting the water flow. As someone else said, the solution is to drill several larger holes among those tiny ones. And by larger, I mean somewhere between 1/16" to maybe 3/32". That will increase the water flow considerably.

I recently did that to an anemic shower head and now we get a free scalp massages!
Old 11-22-2020, 08:31 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I realize this is an old post.
I had to replace the aerator on both the kitchen & bathroom faucets. Plus I believe I have cleaned them out also. The problem is coming from the water heater. It has to be flushed out every so often. The more you use it , the more it has to be flushed out.
I'm not going to AZ this winter. I found after using it for over 5 months it needed a flush bad.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:58 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from MN View Post
I realize this is an old post.
I had to replace the aerator on both the kitchen & bathroom faucets. Plus I believe I have cleaned them out also. The problem is coming from the water heater. It has to be flushed out every so often. The more you use it , the more it has to be flushed out.
I'm not going to AZ this winter. I found after using it for over 5 months it needed a flush bad.
Dave, that is an excellent point! I found this out on my Aspect 30J as well. I flush mine twice a year now. Camco makes a flush wand that I got on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Rinser-...s%2C268&sr=8-2

Al