Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Extended Warranties

Dear Friends. I am thinking about getting an extended warranty for my 2020 Navion 24D as the manufacturer warranty has just expired. Does anyone have any thoughts whether or not is a good idea? I've never been much for extended warranties but, we have had some major repairs since owning our new RV, Roof Air, Refrigerator, Auto Levelers, etc. I gotten some quotes anywhere from $3600 for a $1000 deductible plan to $4800 for a $200 deductible plan. Any feedback would be appreciated.
VascodaGama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:44 PM   #2
Living The Dream

Seems like high prices and high deductibles … what’s the length of the extended contracts?
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Before I purchased an extended warranty check with the dealer you would use. Often the extended warranties have a set labor hour / rate that some dealers may not accept. The same is happening in the automotive industry, some dealers are refusing to accept the cut rate labor dollars.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I typically don't buy extended warranties either. I'm curious what the mileage/time limits were on the policies you quoted. Are those basically "bumper-to-bumper"? Do they require inspections/maintenance/repair at specific places or can you get maintenance/repair done anywhere? Are the minimum inspection/maintenance clauses reasonable? Are the exclusions minimal? Any idea what your prior repairs would have cost you? There are just so many things to consider here in order to assess the gamble you're taking.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:34 PM   #5
Site Team

I didn't buy one when I purchased my new Adventurer in 2017. The cost was about $4500 for 5 years. So far I've made it through 4 years next week with a total out lay of ~$900 that would have been covered and not routine wear and tear.

Plus, with an extended service contract (it's not a warranty) there is all of those layers of approvals before work can begin. I prefer to be calling the shots when stuff goes bad.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Seems like high prices and high deductibles … what’s the length of the extended contracts?
The quotes were all 4 year policies ......
Old 07-13-2021, 12:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
I typically don't buy extended warranties either. I'm curious what the mileage/time limits were on the policies you quoted. Are those basically "bumper-to-bumper"? Do they require inspections/maintenance/repair at specific places or can you get maintenance/repair done anywhere? Are the minimum inspection/maintenance clauses reasonable? Are the exclusions minimal? Any idea what your prior repairs would have cost you? There are just so many things to consider here in order to assess the gamble you're taking.
It's an unlimited miles bumper to bumper policy and it doesn't require an inspection because the RV is so new. Work can be by a mobile tech or a dealer. The policy seems extension for both the chassis and the house.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:04 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VascodaGama View Post
It's an unlimited miles bumper to bumper policy and it doesn't require an inspection because the RV is so new. Work can be by a mobile tech or a dealer. The policy seems extension for both the chassis and the house.
If your dealer told you it's bumper to bumper unlimited then I'd describe him as less than truthful.

Go over the contract and you'll find massive amounts of uncovered things. And, you'll need to pay a deductible for each repair as well.

While your RV doesn't have to be inspected because it's new you will still be required to file a claim for every repair. And, they can at any time decline approval. And, you can use any mobile tech or dealer but only if they agree to the insurance company's terms for payment.

Be aware that you will be required to have ALL preventive maintenance done on time and provable with written receipts. And, adding any new equipment or mods could be possible grounds for denying future claims.

If you've been told you need to buy it from new or you'll have trouble getting a policy later that part is also not correct.

Call Wholesale Warranties at 800.939.2806 and get a competing quote. They don't just sell for one company they have multiple service contract suppliers. You could also call Coach-Net for their RV Protect service. Call (877) 801-0333 and check them out. That's who Winnebago uses for this product.

You may end up wanting to buy this policy - but make yourself fully aware of this complicated thing you are buying.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
If your dealer told you it's bumper to bumper unlimited then I'd describe him as less than truthful.

Go over the contract and you'll find massive amounts of uncovered things. And, you'll need to pay a deductible for each repair as well.

While your RV doesn't have to be inspected because it's new you will still be required to file a claim for every repair. And, they can at any time decline approval. And, you can use any mobile tech or dealer but only if they agree to the insurance company's terms for payment.

Be aware that you will be required to have ALL preventive maintenance done on time and provable with written receipts. And, adding any new equipment or mods could be possible grounds for denying future claims.

If you've been told you need to buy it from new or you'll have trouble getting a policy later that part is also not correct.

Call Wholesale Warranties at 800.939.2806 and get a competing quote. They don't just sell for one company they have multiple service contract suppliers. You could also call Coach-Net for their RV Protect service. Call (877) 801-0333 and check them out. That's who Winnebago uses for this product.

You may end up wanting to buy this policy - but make yourself fully aware of this complicated thing you are buying.
Thank you so much for all the valuable information!! The company we are currently working with is Wholesale Warranties but I should probably contact Coach Net as well.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

All good advice. The only thing I would add is an extended warranty is similar to an insurance policy on your house, car or life. If you decide to get it you are also hoping you never need it.
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have owned RV's since 1962--almost 60 years, and never had an extended warrantee. The repairs I had for each RV, (which I probably kept an average of 5 years) is almost nil. I am many thousands of dollars ahead of the game..
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I bought one one my 2017 Solei 34t. $500 deductible per incident. I've had regular maintenance from Freightliner and my dealer. End of last year, chassis air went out. Paid out about half of what I bought for. My slide went out a few weeks ago. At dealer now. Should be done soon. Not sure what costs but sounded "not cheap". I still have 3 years left on mine. Bought it as its my first diesel and what it can cost to repair is crazy. I never buy extended warranties but did for this. Like someone said, hope you never use it and I agree. Kinda getting to not trust it but I have 3 years to decide. Oh, if I have dealer do it, I "only" have to pay $450 deductible. Go for what you are comfortable with. And yes if you can save the money you would spend on it you may be ok.
sciguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VascodaGama View Post
The quotes were all 4 year policies ......
Yes
Old 07-19-2021, 01:31 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

We have been very happy with Good Sam Extended Warranty over our 11 years of fulltime living in the RV. Only requirements have been to do routine maintenance and call for authorization before any work starts.

We initially paid for 4 years for the price of 1, since the rig was new, the RV itself had a year's warranty, and the chassis had a 3 year warranty. After that the annual renewal gradually crept up each year, not too much, but some.

We have had appliances replaced, refrigerator work, a/c work, some engine components replaced, some chassis repairs, even some work on the big RV Box itself. Costs were covered, even some motel time.

We figured having a $500 deductible was better to face than a big surprise. As I calculate it, our premium costs are slightly above what our actual repair costs have been, but the peace of mind is worth it. However that will change this week as we are scheduled to get some engine work done on the turbo actuator.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I bought one with my RV but after using it a couple of times and reading the fine print, I've changed my opinion.

At a high level you're giving a chunk of your money to someone to hold and dole out to you, at their discretion. And only after you pitch in a couple hundred dollars more every time you want them to give some of your money back.

But the kicker for me was the fine print that said the total amount they will pay for all claims during the life of the contract is - you guessed it - the amount you paid for the contract. Nice no-risk business to get into.

What a racket. Instead of giving someone an interest-free loan with strings attached, you'd be much better off putting that money into an account somewhere that you control yourself. Another benefit of doing that is you will have a 'warranty' that doesn't exclude anything.

Live and learn.
LetsGo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:03 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Kwiebe - I’m surprised that is even legal. You’ve entered into a one-way contract that effectively provides you with no benefits. Very interesting... thanks for sharing.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:22 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
Kwiebe - I’m surprised that is even legal. You’ve entered into a one-way contract that effectively provides you with no benefits. Very interesting... thanks for sharing.
I urge everyone to check the total liability clause. I'm pretty sure every contract has one. It just so happens the total for mine was the amount I paid. I wouldn't be surprised if that was typical. But even if it's more than the amount you paid for the contract, it will still be capped.
LetsGo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:04 PM   #18
Micro Mini 2108TB

I am not a fan of extended warranties, because the onus is on you to provide proof that you complied with all of the manufacturer's service and maintenance intervals and work to be done.
For example: In June I purchased a used 2020 Micro Mini 2108 TB, which I believed to be under a 3 yr. structural warranty provided by Winnebago. Now I have discovered a soft spot on the roof that is about 30 in. by 18 in. There is some discussion as to whether the warranty applies to the trailer or the original owner. The sales brochure and sticker on the trailer relate to the trailer. A reference in the brochure to the original owner only relates to when the 3 yr warranty starts (Any thoughts anyone).
Anyway the point is the dealer wants me to provide pictures of the damage showing the condition of seals, an invoice to show that the trailer roof had been resealed at one year or provide receipts for sealant purchased to reseal the vents, hatches, etc. I don't have an invoice or a sealant purchase receipt, because according to the previous owner the seals were in tact so why would he replace them? Moreover there would be nothing to see in a picture, because the roof appears normal until you press or walk on it.
Those are the sort of things you come up against with warranty claims, so to my way of thinking you would be better to put the extended warranty premium money aside and draw on it as necessary.
Good luck!
Senecio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:36 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senecio View Post
...Anyway the point is the dealer wants me to provide pictures of the damage showing the condition of seals, an invoice to show that the trailer roof had been resealed at one year or provide receipts for sealant purchased to reseal the vents, hatches, etc. I don't have an invoice or a sealant purchase receipt, because according to the previous owner the seals were in tact so why would he replace them?
I've heard of this before (resealing it each year), and I may have even seen it in the owner's manual (when I read it several moons ago). I don't like the way they handle this, but it is an area that is prone to owner neglect. Seems like an annual dealer inspection and health report (modest 15-minute check) might be a better compromise. Replacement of good sealant is a waste.

The bigger question is, assuming you didn't just add sealant, can the dealer find any seals around the "soft" area that are compromised? Is there any evidence of owner neglect? If not, they really ought to cover it. The dealer ought to be willing to argue your case to Winnebago.

EDIT: Does your shower have the correct skylight? There was a brief period during which they installed skylights that were not internally sealed (allowing water vapor into the attic from the shower).
Old 07-19-2021, 03:44 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey39n View Post
We have been very happy with Good Sam Extended Warranty over our 11 years of fulltime living in the RV. Only requirements have been to do routine maintenance and call for authorization before any work starts.

We initially paid for 4 years for the price of 1, since the rig was new, the RV itself had a year's warranty, and the chassis had a 3 year warranty. After that the annual renewal gradually crept up each year, not too much, but some.

We have had appliances replaced, refrigerator work, a/c work, some engine components replaced, some chassis repairs, even some work on the big RV Box itself. Costs were covered, even some motel time.

We figured having a $500 deductible was better to face than a big surprise. As I calculate it, our premium costs are slightly above what our actual repair costs have been, but the peace of mind is worth it. However that will change this week as we are scheduled to get some engine work done on the turbo actuator.
Thank you for your reply .....it has helped in my decision making process.