Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

"Extend-A-Stay on 2017 View

Has anybody installed an extend-a-stay on a View? I want the option of using extra BBQ bottles to extend the remote camping time during hunting seasons where I will be out for weeks. Elk hunting in the mountains gets cold and the furnace burns a lot of propane. The main propane tank being mounted close to the drive shaft adds issues to modify propane lines. I also want to add a fitting on the passenger side to hook up a BBQ grill.

I have not heard of anybody doing it yet. I am in the planning phase and may end up being the first.

Any comments?
Old 06-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

try using the search feature, here and on IRV2, perhaps also on the sprinter forum.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:57 PM   #3
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsontoy View Post
Has anybody installed an extend-a-stay on a View? I want the option of using extra BBQ bottles to extend the remote camping time during hunting seasons where I will be out for weeks. Elk hunting in the mountains gets cold and the furnace burns a lot of propane. The main propane tank being mounted close to the drive shaft adds issues to modify propane lines. I also want to add a fitting on the passenger side to hook up a BBQ grill.

I have not heard of anybody doing it yet. I am in the planning phase and may end up being the first.

Any comments?
I did on our first View, a 2006 23H, and it was easy ... the propane tank and piping weren’t buried way under! Not sure about these newer ones, but if you tackle it, please let the rest of us know the details. I’d like to do it, too.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Designing the piping on autocad tonight. Will build it this week.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

When I crawled under our 18V24D recently I found the LP pipe had a plug just behind the rear axle on the passenger side. That would be an easy place to tap into the pipe, just can't go out by the generator Don't have a clue about the 2017 models. My first impression was the mess in the center around the LP tank would be difficult, then saw that termination plug, interesting place, almost like that would be the natural purpose of it. That would be the feed to the Truma no doubt, could be they thought about a two or three way fridge - or not.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

That fitting is on the low pressure side of the regulator. Would not work on a BBQ grill. Need to be between the main tank and the regulator. I do not think the 17 and 18's are much different.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #7

Tucson, I look forward to seeing pictures of this modification.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Pictures

Started an album under my profile showing progress call "Extend-A-Stay".
Old 06-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #9

Thank you! Will look.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:23 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsontoy View Post
That fitting is on the low pressure side of the regulator. Would not work on a BBQ grill. Need to be between the main tank and the regulator. I do not think the 17 and 18's are much different.

Well...it depends on the grill. You can use the low pressure side without the regulator on the BBQ with a quick connect. However...since you said extend-a-stay I agree completely with putting the tee before the inplace tank regulator and the extend-a-stay will connect there, then off the top run a 15 lb regulator for the feed hose to the BBQ. I've had varying results in the past with long hoses to the BBQ, oil in the BBQ regulator etc. but using the additional regulator for pressure in the feed will help prevent that. Good luck with the project and I'll watch for results. It is not real high on my list with other things popping around but I'll probably get to it eventually.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

The Extend-A-Stay tee adapter goes on the HIGH PRESSURE side of the RV's regulator between the internal RV propane tank's shutoff valve and the RV's regulator.

It feeds high pressure gas from an external propane tank to the same regulator that the internal propane tank does.

The tee adapter has a integrated valve so that when the hose from the external tank is not connected it blocks release of propane. It also has a metal cap to keep it clean. The tee adapter is designed and rated for the higher propane vapor pressures that come directly off an un-regulated propane tank.

You can't connect an external tank directly to the low pressure side of your RV's propane system, other than as a sure fire way to start a fire the first time your refrigerator, stove, or furnace turn on with this connection on.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I know I tried to get my local Propane distributor to install a feed for my bbq and he wouldn't do it since it is adapting a DOT approved system. Guess he didn't want the liability if something went wrong since it may invalidate the insurance coverage by changing a DOT system.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

NYBobbo, the OP, Tuscontoy, asked about connecting an external propane tank to operate his RV's propane appliances - not about connecting a BBQ grill to use the internal propane tank like you want to do.

The problem you are trying to solve is totally different than what the OP asked about. Think you should consider starting a different thread for your BBQ grill issue, so there is not confusion.

I'd be glad to share with you your options if you start a separate thread. The Extend-a-stay tee actually has an another port for connecting grills / lanterns / heaters in addition to the port for connecting an external propane tank, but I think it would be best to discuss in another thread so we don't confuse the OP's issue.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

OK, I guess since I saw BBQ mentioned in two previous posts it was part of where the thread was going. my bad.

Since the extend-a-stay has a bbq etc port also I'll just follow this thread and see where it goes for now since the "T" is integral to both.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Randy, it seemed to me there were two parts to the OP question. You can indeed connect a BBQ to the low pressure side. However, as I said, you are also correct, the extend-a-stay must go on the high pressure side and, yes, it connects BEFORE the OEM regulator and yes, it has a port on top. Yes, the external LP tank to extend the stay has a connection on the thing also. I suggested later that the port on top would be the place fo add another 15lb regulator to feed the line to the BBQ grill... There are numerous videos out there showing how to do it, I have done it myself. The additional regulator at 15lbs helps keep the oil out of the line going to the grill. Finished here.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:55 AM   #16
Living The Dream

Okay .... no more cage rattling!
Old 06-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

The remote bottle is hooked up and works like it should. I added pictures in my profile album titled Extend-A-Stay..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0120.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	169731  
Old 06-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Installed the BBQ fitting next to the steps. I could not use the "Extend-A-Stay" kit as received. The View uses smaller fittings on the main tank than in the kit. That and the tank is now two feet in towards the center of the vehicle. I used the hoses and the fitting from the kit and custom made everything else. This project is done.

Now with extra propane and solar power I am ready for extended stays in the Great Outdoors.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #19
Living The Dream

Nice work! Looks great.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #20

Good! Gives me some ideas.