Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-10-2019, 09:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Exceptional RV Dealers

So the Wife and I just both retired and in the market for a motorhome. I’ve read a lot of negativity about RV dealers and their service departments. Which scares me.

How about doing something different and provide the dealers with exceptional service.

Thanks
David
Manxter127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
Site Team

There are exceptional dealers, and here is one way that you can find them:
Check the Better Business Bureau:
https://www.bbb.org/
It is extra-credit if the dealership has a Gold Star on the Winnebago Web Site:
https://winnebagoind.com/dealer-locator/us-canada
In what city & state are you seeking to buy? Perhaps somebody might have a recommendation?
Old 05-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you.
We live in Southern California
Old 05-10-2019, 10:58 PM   #4
Site Team

I have to admit that I was somewhat surprised to find that this Southern California dealership with a Gold Star Rating:
CAMPING WORLD RV SALES
5500 WIBLE ROAD
BAKERSFIELD, CA 93313
unfortunately has a "D" rating with the BBB.
My dealership:
ROY ROBINSON CHEVY SUBARU & MTRHOME
6616 - 35TH AVE. N.E.
MARYSVILLE, WA 98271
has both a Gold Star Rating and also an "A+" rating with the BBB.
Clearly, the BBB rating is the primary guidance, and the Winnebago Gold Star rating is the extra assurance.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Do lots of research, not just on dealers, but makes of RVs you may be interested in, RV travel in general, products and accessories, your own DIY capabilities, willingness to pay for potentially large repair bills, etc.

Arguably product and performance reviews would yield the best results, as long as you can carefully consider that extremely good reviews could be fabricated or that extremely bad reviews could be from the result of unreasonable expectations.

RVing is certainly not always perfect, but neither is it horrible unless there are other forces at work. If you use the Boy Scout motto of "be Prepared" you'll be able to have great trips and be able to deal with any problems - or ideally prevent issues from becoming real problems!

At any rate, welcome aboard!!!
Old 05-10-2019, 11:23 PM   #6
Site Team

Of the 242 Camping Worlds listed nation-wide on the BBB, 156 of them have the "D" rating. That is 64½% of them! I remember seeing the "F" rating on some Camping Worlds when I first started shopping last Fall, but no longer see those now. Thirty three of them do have an "A+" rating (13½%).
Old 05-10-2019, 11:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

There are lots of good products and accessories available from Camping World and I have bought many of them. I recently became disgruntled with CW over shipping charges to Alaska that were nearly as much as the total cost of the items ordered. CW offers free shipping to Lower-48 destinations but people living off-shore people are hosed. Even after complaining to them about the excessive charges but at the same time saying that Alaskans realistically understand free shipping is not economically feasible, CW pretty much shrugged their shoulders and said nothing could be done about it.

Our solution was to join Amazon Prime which offers free shipping, even to Alaska. Selling prices are 10% to 15% more than CW, but the free shipping more than compensates for it.

Of course those of you living in the Lower-48 get free shipping on CW orders so you don't have to be concerned about this. My point in mentioning this is that I see some ethical customer service issues at CW, particularly in light of the many complains I've seen about the RV sales and service side of the business.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I know you're in Ca, but the dealer I flew to when buying our rig (McClains outside of Dallas) is a place I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. The buying experience was just superb, mostly done on line, price matched for $5k lower because their location in OK was trying to move the same model, and ensured the latest service bulletins (for engine AC) was completed before I took delivery. Outstanding group of folks over there.

I've had some service and recall work done at Dixie RV in Breaux Bridge, and there are awesome folks working there. They are extremely busy and so even simple jobs may take a week or two longer, but the level of service and thoroughness makes he wait worth it, in my opinion. I think Dixie is now part of Camping World, so I hope they don't conform to the norm that the CW brand seems to be making for itself.
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #9
Site Team

I wouldn’t trust the Better Business Bureau’s ratings. It’s too easy for a bad business to “fix” bad ratings and appear good in their system.

Asking on forums, such as here and Irv2.com are generally good options, though.

Regardless, I wouldn’t trust any Camping World for RV purchases. Even if others recommended one of their locations. It’s just my opinion but I think that 100% of the folks that buy RVs from a CW were ripped off in one way or another. It’s just that many folks that buy there are new RV buyers and have not yet realized that they were taken advantage of... yet.

In the Winnebago world, Lichtsinn RVs in Forest City, IA - a couple of miles from the WBGO factory is most likely the best dealership. Every brand seems to have a few standout dealers.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for advice..

So far our MH choices are the Minnie Winnie 27q and the Intent 26m

I see that they are your MH’s of Choice,

Are you happy with them, and would you buy again?
Old 05-12-2019, 12:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxter127 View Post
Thanks for advice..

We have a MW 27Q and love it. Its absolutely perfect for us.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxter127 View Post
Thanks for advice..

We do love the Intent 26M. It's just two of us and a couple of dogs. In laws are coming for a visit in June and we're gonna try 4 adults in it. It seems like that is a bit cramped, but we'll see how it shakes out. I think I got a great deal on it (mid-60s) compared to the technology and features it has. No complaints and it's already teaching me a lot about the RV life (our first rig, though I trailer camped a lot as a kid- sorry, I just don't consider a camper and RV to me a vehicle means it has an engine and you can drive it. I'll never consider a travel trailer or pop up tent or anything like that to be an RV)
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer