Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Dump pipe clearance

Hi. I am looking at purchasing a 2018 Spirit 26 A and have a concern about the dump pipe clearance. Anyone have this problem and if so did you modify it. Thanks!!!!
Lynn Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Take a piece of string from the rear wheel at the pavement to the bottom of the dump pipe, and up the side of the trailer. That is the angle you would have to achieve to damage the pipe driving forward. It is very steep and unlikely to be damaged that way. Likewise backing up you would have to be very unlucky to first hit the dump pipe. It looks exposed, but has never been a problem in many years of rugged desert driving.
denisd63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Not used that particular RV but it is not too uncommon for the drains to be a problem, depending on how the ground lays. We have a sloped driveway at home where we park the Rv and it is a real problem when the front goes up the slope, that makes the rear go down while it is still on the street which also has a slope from center line to curb. The former Rv had a drain at the far rear and it was a struggle to get it into the yard, needing planks laid out. A big relief to get rid of it and that was a shopping it me when we changed RV.
We found many places where the drive into places like gas stations have sloped drives and it was always a concern.
Since drains have to run downhill, we found no way to change the height very far.
Shop carefully!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:19 PM   #4
Minnie Winnie 26A

26A pipe clearance

I agree with you that the sewer pipe exit is too low. I have that model also. The only time is ever been an issue was when boondocking down a rough dirt road. You need to be very careful about letting the driver's side Wheels drop into a deep pothole. I have always managed to be careful and avoid any damage. One good thing about this model is that Winnebago attaches the whole thing with a rubber coupling that will actually pop off if you were to severely drag that area. Might make a crappy mess on the dirt road, but at least it is repairable in 5 minutes. Twice when in National Forest I either filled in a pot hole with a shovel or put some of the 2 by 10 boards I carry into the pothole to minimize it.
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

My 27QP has the same issue. 4 years and 40,000 miles and a ride down an RV trail (damn GPS) and the pipe is still there. I almost lost it in a FL campground where I to drive over some very large tree roots in my assigned space. As with the low overhead canopies, be very aware of where you are driving.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote