Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
2021 View 24D

Dual Pane Windows View 24D

Is cost the only downside to adding this option? Am I correct that different shades are used? I would appreciate thoughts as I may still be able to add to my 2021 order. We do travel all season in the southwest, especially AZ and NM. Thanks!
fsantore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We were told the dual pane windows are more susceptible to scratches.

We have the standard windows, and with solid shade pulled down or the blinds closed, we haven't been too concerned about the lack of the dual panes.

The biggest source of heat is the cab - critical to put up the manual shades on the cab windows as soon as you can after parking...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The duals we got on our 2018 are larger than the standard sliders, I think, and that makes for a better view (no pun) of the world outside. They have a top down screen blind, and a bottom up solid accordian styled blind. The two meet and clip to each other for a half anf half effect, screen up top, privacy below.
No scratches on ours, and they also flip open fromn the bottom if desired, with a short piston style support arm.
We like them.
I wonder if Lichtsinn has a demo video of them?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We ordered our 2020 View with the dual pane windows. They're quite nice with a large, unobstructed view out.

They need a different cleaning solution - you can't use Windex or similar window cleaners. No scratches so far, but they open, as mentioned, from the bottom and can be open if it's raining.

I really like them and would recommend them.

best,

Dave-oh
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:28 PM   #5
2021 View 24D

Thanks for the comments, indeed very helpful. I will heed the advice of quickly adding the shades to the driver’s cabin. Our current class B sprinter had zero insulation in the doors, which I took care of. Didn’t get around to the slider, but this is not a problem on the View. The added front cabin insulation did improve the cabin noise however, but I hope the newer V30 chassis will be quieter. I’m not a fan of mini blinds, thinking of them more as a 1950s design artifact, albeit very functional. Adding dual pane it seems provides MCD rollers both kitchen and dinette side. I like the ‘up/down’ tweaking of incoming light described. I also assume that in selecting dual pane, the slide window and bathroom remain single pane. Thus at least one miniblind. The responses didn’t specify, but it sounds like dual pane may mean plastic and thus prone to scratches (and yellowing?), versus single pane being glass. True? I do like larger if indeed the case, and our class B has the same tilting up windows that alleviate rain concerns. I would however enjoy not having to crank them open. Sliding sounds simpler/faster. Thanks for the well received comments. I’ll call my salesman in the morning to see if an order change is even possible.
fsantore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Dual pane appears to be plastic, which is why they could discolor and scratch, plus the seals could leak between the panes.

We're satisfied with the standard windows - and it appears Lichtsinn seems to avoid ordering the dual pane windows for their RVs.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Lichtsinn avoids ordering more expensive options on general lot inventory, because they may eventually have to discount it, to move it. They all do it that way, with few exceptions. It's how their business works.
All RV windows, and most RV parts and appliances, have their faults and weaknesses.
Comes down to personal preference.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsantore View Post
Thanks for the comments, indeed very helpful. I will heed the advice of quickly adding the shades to the driver’s cabin. Our current class B sprinter had zero insulation in the doors, which I took care of. Didn’t get around to the slider, but this is not a problem on the View. The added front cabin insulation did improve the cabin noise however, but I hope the newer V30 chassis will be quieter. I’m not a fan of mini blinds, thinking of them more as a 1950s design artifact, albeit very functional. Adding dual pane it seems provides MCD rollers both kitchen and dinette side. I like the ‘up/down’ tweaking of incoming light described. I also assume that in selecting dual pane, the slide window and bathroom remain single pane. Thus at least one miniblind. The responses didn’t specify, but it sounds like dual pane may mean plastic and thus prone to scratches (and yellowing?), versus single pane being glass. True? I do like larger if indeed the case, and our class B has the same tilting up windows that alleviate rain concerns. I would however enjoy not having to crank them open. Sliding sounds simpler/faster. Thanks for the well received comments. I’ll call my salesman in the morning to see if an order change is even possible.
I have a 20VJ with dual pane windows. I originally was not going to order them but ended up buying a unit off the lot that had the option. On the J, there are three dual pane windows - kitchen, bedroom, and dinette slide. I like that they are large and allow a lot of light into the RV. They do NOT have the MCD roller shades. They have a screen that pulls down from the top and an accordion style room darkening shade that pulls up from the bottom. They can clip together and you can stop the combined shade anywhere - providing partial darkening/privacy while still allowing fresh air in. The screen & shade are built into the frame that surrounds the windows. My only dislike is that the windows are not tinted. I would have preferred that they have a tint on them like the single pane windows. On the whole, I'm happy with the windows.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
We were told the dual pane windows are more susceptible to scratches.

We have the standard windows, and with solid shade pulled down or the blinds closed, we haven't been too concerned about the lack of the dual panes.

The biggest source of heat is the cab - critical to put up the manual shades on the cab windows as soon as you can after parking...
We have a Itasca 24V Class C based on a Ford E450 van chassis. After arriving at a campsite in warm weather, we prop open the hood for awhile to cool off the engine compartment so as to reduce the amount of heat that can leak into the interior.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

We haven't noticed much heat coming from the engine when we first park after a long drive.

What we notice is that with the sun out and the engine air conditioning off, the cab heats up very quickly - and putting up the manual shades has an immediate impact on heat.

The manual shades that came with our 2021 24D almost completely cover up the glass, with the exception of a gap in the middle due to the (useless) rear view mirror. [Has anyone removed their rear view mirror in a 2019 Sprinter chassis?]
Old 07-28-2020, 01:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
We have a Itasca 24V Class C based on a Ford E450 van chassis. After arriving at a campsite in warm weather, we prop open the hood for awhile to cool off the engine compartment so as to reduce the amount of heat that can leak into the interior.
That's a great idea. I'll be trying it next trip out, after all levels of Canadian governments decide they've had enough fun locking us down.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:59 PM   #12
Boondocker

Dual pane windows in our Minnie Winnie keep us warmer in winter and cooler in summer. They eliminate condensation and it's quieter inside as well.
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I had dual pane windows on my Itasca Reyo. The windows were made out of tinted plexiglass or some other plastic like material. Since my Reyo was a little older the windows looked like they had a whole lot of tiny pits in them or spider cracks. Something to keep in mind if you keep your coach a long time.

As far as noise level is concerned, I can't tell the difference in my new RV.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:17 PM   #14
Boondocker

Ask Winnebago about the windows... ours are tempered glass sliders, just like the double pane windows at home. Tinted, and tough as nails. We use our rig for winter skiing trips, never have wet windows - even with cooking and showers.
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:52 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I custom ordered my View Last Sep and was delivered in Dec. I wanted the dual pane but was talked out of it from my Lichtsinn sales rep. Due to how you clean it and easy to stratch. I was surprised that it was made of plastic. So since I ordered my View with what I wanted on it Lichtsinn could have made a few extra bucks on the cost but just relayed what their custermers have back to them. I imagine they are nice at first but over time they are not as clear as glass.
Winnebago Dan 20J
DKDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Seasons View Post
Dual pane windows in our Minnie Winnie keep us warmer in winter and cooler in summer. They eliminate condensation and it's quieter inside as well.
How do you know if you don't have single glaze ,could be insulation in walls ?
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #17
RVCalypso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataska View Post
How do you know if you don't have single glaze ,could be insulation in walls ?
We also have dual pane windows in our Minnie Winnie and yes it makes a huge difference. You can tell they are dual pane by looking at them. Just like dual pane windows on a house there is a pane of glass with a space and another pane of glass! it's not difficult to see. Also they are quit heavy when you slide them open.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Yes, the dual pane windows are plastic and not glass. They are frameless in appearance and tinted. They are hinged at top and tilt out from bottom. They have an internal screen. The advantage is that the window lets in less solar heat and can be left open when raining. There is no visible rubber seal around the glass to dry rot. They are expensive and eventually, UV from sun will crack them.
I went with the standard glass slider on my 2020 View. I use 303 Protectant to reduce UV damage to seals. Keep it simple. Same with exterior paint. Diesel generator is another expensive option. Go light color for cabinets, table and seating.
DeltaRome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:23 PM   #19
RVCalypso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Seasons View Post
My feelings exactly.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:31 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

The duals on the 2021 and 2022 24D seem to be smaller than the regular single pane windows. Comparing pictures online of units with and without the duals, it is apparent they do not look as large. Does anyone know this to be accurate. Trying to weigh this option though I am leaning towards not getting them despite living in Canada and camping in cool weather.
Shimmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window