Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Does the driver and passenger footwell & headroom space vary by engine selection (Ford V-10 vs. Chevy engine vs. Ford Diesel) in E-450 based Class "C" Winnebagos? I'm looking to buy a used 24 foot model, but have some concerns about headroom and legroom (especially passenger legroom). Also, do the cab configurations vary by year?
TrailerFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Does the driver and passenger footwell & headroom space vary by engine selection (Ford V-10 vs. Chevy engine vs. Ford Diesel) in E-450 based Class "C" Winnebagos? I'm looking to buy a used 24 foot model, but have some concerns about headroom and legroom (especially passenger legroom). Also, do the cab configurations vary by year?
TrailerFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi TF - welcome Can't answer your question but wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi and welcome. I had a 31ft. 2004 C Class with ford engine. All Ford C class regardless of brand are the same. They all use the same E-450 Van platform. Yes the passenger side has less legroom. Also the engine can radiate a lot of heat on some models. Headroom should not be a problem.

Chevy has more legroom I've been told but I've never have driven one.

They are quite comfortable for inside and can be very useful for some types of RV'ing.

Here's a link to the C Class Forum if you haven't tried it. You'll probably get more answers there.

C Class Forum

Good luck
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hi TF & welcome to the IRV2 forum. We have a 2006 Itasca Cambria, a "streamlined" class C MH that is 26' long. Winnebago does a good job with the Ford cab by using a slimmer glovebox on the engine cover which does not intrude on driver/passenger footroom as much as the OE Ford glovebox. That said, if you're taller than average you may still find the legroom on both sides restrictive. It is easy though to move the seat(s) or install swiveling seat mounts that will help more in gaining space.

The greatest benefits to modern class C motorhoming are the drivability and the two dashboard airbags [should the need for those ever happen]. No such feature in the bus-type MH's....
zooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Glad you found iRV2.com.

The E-450 is a bit short on foot space on the passenger side. Also, Ford and most manufacturers do not insulate the floor in the class C's. We had a 1999 Minnie Winnie DL and I had to pull the front seats, remove the carpet (glued directly to the metal floor) and install a thermal heat barrier and insulate the engine cover. took about 1/2 day and 200% improvement.

Ken
Old 08-22-2008, 05:48 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

At 6'2" I have no problem driving the E-450.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

When I had my Ford Class C, I could only go back so far (I am 6'0") which was marginal, excessive heat would roast my leg, and I just felt cramped. I thought I had died and gone to Heaven the first time I drove my Class A, almost too much room
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I enjoy driving my class C better than I did my class A's.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:33 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I've owned two Ford Class Cs; a 97 and an 87. Both very tight on leg room for the pass and not an over abundance for the driver.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:30 AM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

The GM/Workhorse Class C van cutaway chassis has more passenger foot room and legroom than the Ford. The passenger can actually place both feet on the same floorspace and be comfortable. Entry and egress from the seats into the coach is easier in the GM/WCC because the engine is further forward.

Go and check out a current model GM/Workhorse Class C powered coach and you will immediately see what I mean.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote