Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2021, 11:54 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Door Recall for 2020+ View/Navion

Has anyone with a 2020+ View/Navion had the door recall done yet? On mine the door bracket itself was broken and the entire door needs to be replaced. I'm still working with the dealer to get a new door since November. There was a backorder of the door and supposedly it is in stock now. For anyone with full body paint, Winnebago sends the door to the dealer unpainted, and the dealer is responsible for the paint match. I still don't have my new door yet and waiting on the dealer. My current door shock bracket is attached to the door with lots of duct tape so at least I can open the door without it smashing into the body of the RV.

Curious if anyone has successfully had their door replaced yet.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

2020+ View Door Recall

Crah,
I really appreciate your posts and information. I am a 2020 View owner and if there is a recall shouldn’t we receive a formal recall notice from Winnebago?

Skip
Skip Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:57 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Stone View Post
Crah,
I really appreciate your posts and information. I am a 2020 View owner and if there is a recall shouldn’t we receive a formal recall notice from Winnebago?

Skip
Skip, I did receive a letter. Winnebago called it a "field service campaign". I noticed a problem right when I purchased the RV. If you don't hold onto the door, the door would just fly open. The shock they had/have on there is not a correction action shock. It just shoots straight out and never slows down. During my so called warranty repair, the dealer showed me that the little post that the shock attaches to the top of the door was also broken. That requires the complete door to be replaced as the post is not repairable.

If you door on your 2020+ View/Navion just flings open, it definitely needs to be repaired. They should have a double acting shock where it slows down the door near the end of travel.

All the videos I've seen on this new type of door rants and raves how great it is. When you first look at it, it does seem great, but once you actually use it, you will see air gaps all around, not being able to shut the door without slamming it hard, etc. If I was a betting person, I would guess that they will probably switch out to a different door type in the near future.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I didn’t know about the door recall. Is it just to replace the shock as long as the door mounts are not broken? Do you have a link for this recall? Thanks
misteracng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:34 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by misteracng View Post
I didn’t know about the door recall. Is it just to replace the shock as long as the door mounts are not broken? Do you have a link for this recall? Thanks
I think it is to replace the shock and also put in a reinforcement plate if the mount is not broken. But I believe the mounting pin/ball on the door itself (not the body part on the other end of the shock) can be bent that hard to tell unless you really look at it.

Mine was bent and the plastic it is attached to is also broken which I have duct taped. See attached letter I received. I received the attached letter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210124_162745.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	176974  
Old 01-25-2021, 02:42 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Having the work needing to be done by February 3 of this year under any circumstance is ridiculous and even worse during the pandemic.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We had the recall done several months ago - but it appears to have been done incorrectly.

I believe it's supposed to move the bracket on the door from the plastic trim to fasten directly to the frame - and also replace the closer with a stronger closer.

We used a local Winnebago dealer (we purchased our from Lichtsinn, 1000 miles from here) to do the recall. While in service at a second dealership, they noted that the recall did not appear to have been installed properly.

While the bracket was moved, the fasteners were different from what Winnebago should have sent with the recall kit.

And it appeared that they also used the original closer.

When we have our annual maintenance & warranty work done by Lichtsinn in the spring, we'll have them review the recall work.

Note that because we didn't purchase the RV locally, we had a difficult time getting the recall done by a local dealer. The dealer initially refused to even schedule an appointment. Only after I contacted Winnebago - they contacted the dealer, did they set up an appointment for the recall - one month out - and when they did the recall work, it doesn't appear they did it correctly.

Though, to be fair, this was pretty soon after the recall had been issued, so we may have been the first to get the recall done at the dealership - and by now the dealers should have more experience with the recall.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:32 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
We had the recall done several months ago - but it appears to have been done incorrectly.

I believe it's supposed to move the bracket on the door from the plastic trim to fasten directly to the frame - and also replace the closer with a stronger closer.

We used a local Winnebago dealer (we purchased our from Lichtsinn, 1000 miles from here) to do the recall. While in service at a second dealership, they noted that the recall did not appear to have been installed properly.

While the bracket was moved, the fasteners were different from what Winnebago should have sent with the recall kit.

And it appeared that they also used the original closer.

When we have our annual maintenance & warranty work done by Lichtsinn in the spring, we'll have them review the recall work.

Note that because we didn't purchase the RV locally, we had a difficult time getting the recall done by a local dealer. The dealer initially refused to even schedule an appointment. Only after I contacted Winnebago - they contacted the dealer, did they set up an appointment for the recall - one month out - and when they did the recall work, it doesn't appear they did it correctly.

Though, to be fair, this was pretty soon after the recall had been issued, so we may have been the first to get the recall done at the dealership - and by now the dealers should have more experience with the recall.
Your treatment by dealers pretty much mimic what many experience and what you read online. My selling dealer is about a 6 hour drive but that is still quite a pain in the butt. When I was at my selling dealer (large Winnebago dealer), they have a complete service building in a different city. They had an endless row of 2020+ Views/Navions in for warranty service. I was curious if the defective exterior sealant that my RV had. Every one of them had the same problem. Some to a smaller degree. So what you read online unfortunately doesn't reflect the actual number of problems out there (which I'm surprised). The View/Navion is the #1 selling rv in its class, and I was expecting a much larger presence/support from forum members. I'm surprised I haven't heard 1 post about defective exterior sealant from anyone yet.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

We had exterior paint protection applied to our 21VD by Lichtsinn. Within a month, we noticed paint peeling from the inside of the back of both rear wheel wells.

We're scheduled to have our View sent to the paint shop in April when Lichtsinn does our annual maintenance and the warranty work.

Until then, we have some silver duct tape over the area, hopefully to keep the paint from peeling further...

When we purchased our 21VD in June, it was our first RV - so we're new to all of this - and the very poor access to service, at least when we're away from Lichtsinn (so far they've been great to work with - but they're 1000 miles away...).

We had an ATS failure in Phoenix in December - and we were able to get Amazon to overnight us a replacement.

Trying to find anyone in Phoenix (not just Winnebago service) pretty much destroyed an entire day, trying to get Coach Net to help - and then resorting to calling every RV place in the Phoenix area until we could find someone to squeeze us in and get the ATS replaced (which was pretty urgent, since we couldn't charge from shore power).

Based on our experience, we'll likely plan trips through Iowa periodically to get Lichtsinn or Winnebago to service our View...
Old 01-26-2021, 08:12 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
We had exterior paint protection applied to our 21VD by Lichtsinn. Within a month, we noticed paint peeling from the inside of the back of both rear wheel wells.

We're scheduled to have our View sent to the paint shop in April when Lichtsinn does our annual maintenance and the warranty work.

Until then, we have some silver duct tape over the area, hopefully to keep the paint from peeling further...

When we purchased our 21VD in June, it was our first RV - so we're new to all of this - and the very poor access to service, at least when we're away from Lichtsinn (so far they've been great to work with - but they're 1000 miles away...).

We had an ATS failure in Phoenix in December - and we were able to get Amazon to overnight us a replacement.

Trying to find anyone in Phoenix (not just Winnebago service) pretty much destroyed an entire day, trying to get Coach Net to help - and then resorting to calling every RV place in the Phoenix area until we could find someone to squeeze us in and get the ATS replaced (which was pretty urgent, since we couldn't charge from shore power).

Based on our experience, we'll likely plan trips through Iowa periodically to get Lichtsinn or Winnebago to service our View...
That doesn't sound much fun. You are lucky you can make your way all the way to Iowa for an annual service. That trip would be a little time consuming for me and eat up some precious vacation time from work. The exterior sealant work I'm talking about is the exterior caulking. Winnebago used some type of clear caulking/sealant on full body paint RVs. Mine all started turning yellow within the first month and then start have Giant cracks. I still need to make post on this. See pictures for reference. First one is on the rear roof radius and 2nd one is self explanatory. My entire RV has the sealant like this. Many places not as bad as the pictures but still completely failed. From my experience, Winnebago will try to decline any warranty coverage for this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201012_170615.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	176995   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201012_170517.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	176996  

Name:	20201012_170511.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	176997  
Old 01-27-2021, 08:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I'm retired and we have family in Kansas City and Dallas - so the trip to Iowa isn't too bad (except for winter).

Looks like you got a bad batch of sealant...
Old 01-27-2021, 10:09 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I'm retired and we have family in Kansas City and Dallas - so the trip to Iowa isn't too bad (except for winter).

Looks like you got a bad batch of sealant...
I wouldn't be surprised if yours end up having the same problem. Based on what I saw at the service center, every one of them had some form of problems or another. Check in the general maintenance and repair section of this forum. I just discovered a thread on the roof radius sealant that I was not aware of due to being new to Winnebago products. Seems there is ongoing issues with the sealant in that area as well.

Any clear sealant doesn't do well in UV exposure.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if yours end up having the same problem. Based on what I saw at the service center, every one of them had some form of problems or another. Check in the general maintenance and repair section of this forum. I just discovered a thread on the roof radius sealant that I was not aware of due to being new to Winnebago products. Seems there is ongoing issues with the sealant in that area as well.

Any clear sealant doesn't do well in UV exposure.
Looks like with full body paint, they use a clear sealant around alot of areas, I think most of it will yellow with time and nothing can prevent that, but cracking means failure. How long have you had your RV? I have read mutiple posts on the roof radius, and that seams to need the clear product, but it might need to be redone up to every year depending on conditions. The units without full body paint have some white sealant they use I think. It might be more durable, but of course would not look good. I also see that mine has the black self leveling sealant on the roof, but it seams, getting the nuflex 311 they use only comes in white to purchase. I almost wonder if it would be better to extend the black/white sealant further as far as you can without it looking to ugly. That stuff seems to be durable and meant to take sun exposure much better. I think winnebago sealant spec is nuflex 640 clear for the full body paint, unsure what it is for the non painted coaches
Old 01-28-2021, 11:00 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by misteracng View Post
Looks like with full body paint, they use a clear sealant around alot of areas, I think most of it will yellow with time and nothing can prevent that, but cracking means failure. How long have you had your RV? I have read mutiple posts on the roof radius, and that seams to need the clear product, but it might need to be redone up to every year depending on conditions. The units without full body paint have some white sealant they use I think. It might be more durable, but of course would not look good. I also see that mine has the black self leveling sealant on the roof, but it seams, getting the nuflex 311 they use only comes in white to purchase. I almost wonder if it would be better to extend the black/white sealant further as far as you can without it looking to ugly. That stuff seems to be durable and meant to take sun exposure much better. I think winnebago sealant spec is nuflex 640 clear for the full body paint, unsure what it is for the non painted coaches
I bought my coach new on Jan. 18th of 2020 so just past the 1 year mark now. All clear sealant that I'm aware of doesn't do well with UV. There may be exceptions but I'm not aware of any. Mamy government construction projects will approve color sealants for exterior use but not clear.. We use many different types of exterior sealant in Vegas in building construction that last for many years. Have never used clear though. For full body paint, you would have to use some type of color matched sealant (that will be my fix). If you need the winnebago nuflex 311 it does come in black. I have 2 tubed in my garage right now. I got it from Winnebago directly. Its nothing special. I would probably use dicor next time as that is what I've used on previous RVs. I wasn't aware of the roof radius continued maintenance for winnebago until recently. None of my previous coaches required that. Hopefully winnebago comes up with a better sealant in the future. I have my own plan to use a different sealant so we will see how that goes.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:18 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I bought my coach new on Jan. 18th of 2020 so just past the 1 year mark now. All clear sealant that I'm aware of doesn't do well with UV. There may be exceptions but I'm not aware of any. Mamy government construction projects will approve color sealants for exterior use but not clear.. We use many different types of exterior sealant in Vegas in building construction that last for many years. Have never used clear though. For full body paint, you would have to use some type of color matched sealant (that will be my fix). If you need the winnebago nuflex 311 it does come in black. I have 2 tubed in my garage right now. I got it from Winnebago directly. Its nothing special. I would probably use dicor next time as that is what I've used on previous RVs. I wasn't aware of the roof radius continued maintenance for winnebago until recently. None of my previous coaches required that. Hopefully winnebago comes up with a better sealant in the future. I have my own plan to use a different sealant so we will see how that goes.
The body colored sealant seems like a good idea, for all the seams. Maybe something similar in color will be fine. Only question will be for the roof radius as it will need to not only seal but hold the roof in place. If you find something let us know. I also saw many videos, specifically to avoid dicor for winnebago filon fiberglass roofs. It seems the nuflex is silicone based and thus dicor products will not adhere at all.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:06 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

The dealer had to replace the entire door on our 2020 Navion. The door actuator pulled a chunk of the plastic inner panel off when it broke. The factory would NOT send just the inner panel and new actuator. They blamed it on the adhesive strip which holds the panel mostly in place. This meant that the entire door had to be repainted! It finally came out OK. Be sure and do your own quality control, take a before picture and make your you get two entry keys!!!
Rick J
RickoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:29 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickoJ View Post
The dealer had to replace the entire door on our 2020 Navion. The door actuator pulled a chunk of the plastic inner panel off when it broke. The factory would NOT send just the inner panel and new actuator. They blamed it on the adhesive strip which holds the panel mostly in place. This meant that the entire door had to be repainted! It finally came out OK. Be sure and do your own quality control, take a before picture and make your you get two entry keys!!!
Rick J
Thanks for the tips. Sounds like mine was an identical problem to yours. I'm just waiting in a new appointment now.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:35 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

We had ours repaired at W in Forest City on 1/18. We left on Tuesday when it would have been better to stay with the snow and high wind. Made it as far as Mason City before calling it quits. Opened the door without a strong enough grip on the handle and had the bracket torn off. Went back the next morning and W fixed it for nothing. Works fine now, but a strong wind will do what it will do. Suggest tying the door to the passenger door handle if leaving the door open on breezy days. I also adjusted the top and bottom catches on the RV frame to get the correct tension when it closes to seal better. If too tight it is hard to open.
hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:22 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
FYI, I ordered a tube of sealant for the roof vents from winnebago. Same part number as previous, but now they ship sikaflex 715 black. They still ship Stone Mason gutter and siding sealant for the roof radius. On Nuflex website, it looks like 311 RV does not come in black anymore.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:10 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

I had a bracket break on the door and they fixed the bracket, but there is a big gap now and no seal on the upper part of the door now.I can see the sky , when I am inside. Not good.
I am going to try to get Winnebago to replace the door.
Livinglife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, recall, view