Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2021, 08:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Door issue 2020 view

Noticed after a couple of months after getting new RV that the door was not closing properly.

Reported to dealer who said latch adjustment neeeded as bottom latch was not catching under normal closing operation.
Dealer took it for a week and said it was all done.
Like an amature I picked it up without even examining it. Took out in early spring and at camp fire noticed door was worse - sticking out more at the bottom.

Back to dealer who called me week later to say all good. Examined door and it was not fixed. Door only closed properly if you slammed it enough to rock the RV.

Battled with dealer who eventually got authorization for a new door install. Dealer called me now to say new door installed but same issue !!

Anybody know what could be causing this ? one friend suggested frame of RV is buckling but as RV is in dealer for last 6 weeks I cant examine it - dealer is 5 hours away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv door 1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	181034   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv door 2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	181035  

Name:	rv door 3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	181036  
Sea Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Vita 24P

put a straight edge on coach body near door and see if it is straight.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:59 AM   #3
'21 View 24J

Hi - There are a couple of guys who have been dealing with door issues on their new Views recently, so I expect they will be able to provide some good info in a bit.

In the meantime, my experience with our '21 View regarding doors is related to the adjustment of the hooks that the door latches catch on to. Your bottom picture is key to this, I think, but I can't get a good view of your latch and hook. Can you get us a closeup of the bottom latch, from a better angle?

My photo attached is what our bottom latch looks like - but on your photo, I can't really see if your latch is catching the hook. If your latch is not making it out of the door, then that would explain why they wanted to replace your door. I know some of the folks who have new Views have had to take their doors apart, so I'm expecting that they might be able to help you when they read your post.

Sorry, I can't get the photo aligned correctly; will have to figure that out someday.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	doorlatch.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	181038  
Ontario Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 04:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The biggest problem is the dealers have no clue what they are doing. I had constant problems with my door. Wouldn’t latch properly, would rattle ajar while driving, and made constant noise. Took it to the Winnebago service center. The dealer had installed the new strut improperly. They fixed the strut and adjusted the door. Works perfectly now and no more rattles except on very rough roads.
Dmarcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The coach door has been frustrating at times.

Adjusting the U-bolts can help to get the door to close and seal properly - but you have to be careful to to move the bolts too much. When the door closes, the latch appears to have two positions. Once the u-bolt is engaged, the latch will partially engage - making it appear the door is fully secured - but it isn't.

It's important that u-bolt is positioned so the latch can reach the second position, and fully secure the door.

Even when this happens, and the door seems to be closed securely and flush with the exterior door frame, you can still get air gaps around the door gaskets.

This is easiest to see by turning off the interior coach lights and closing all of the shades to make it dark inside. While it's light outside, close the door and look around the edges of the door for any light leaks.

There will likely be a small leak at the bottom center of the door. This is pretty small - and probably OK.

We had much larger gaps around the top and bottom corners of the door. The service department repositioned the gasket on the door frame - and that helped - but occasionally we still get an air gap show up around the door edges.

This is a bigger issue during the winter - letting cold air get into the coach.

You can tug on the door gasket to get it to shift a little. Or you can put an insulation strip underneath the rubber gasket on the door to get it to extend enough to seal with the door gasket.

With a few adjustments, it should be possible to get the door to seal and get secured completely.

It's unfortunate that these adjustments are needed after the factory...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, view