Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dometic Midi Heki Skylight

2014 Navion iQ view 24V-anybody ever repair their outrageously expensive, highly non functional, Midi Heki Skylight MDHDOM 1370? Repair shop wants $500 to replace the gear set in it. I would like to get it working though I never use it here in Florida. I have heard of those who replace this over engineered under performing expensive skylight with a manual job.

Gear set anyone? how to repair? Or recommendation on a manual skylight that will fit and be reasonably easy to repair?

thanks very much.
Pooolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not sure about a replacement vent, powered or otherwise, because of the size of the hole, but I'm glad we didn't add that option. Based on your evaluation of it, and some homework done before ordering our N24V.
There must be an option out there somewhere?

Checked at an auto-glass shop? Maybe, since they do skylights/moon roofs/sun roofs, they could recommend something?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

My experience is that these skylights are not repairable. In fact, other than a motor, repair parts are not available. I suggest you just replace the whole thing - and if you want, you can get a manual model to replace it.

The alternative is to seal the hole with plywood and fiberglass and add a standard Max Air or Fantastic fan.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Luvlabs has good advice. Our first View. '0623H, had the manual skylight, hated it, big pain.

Since you are in Florida there are numerous boat shops around who do a lot of fiberglass repair. I would spend my cash on filling that big hole and mounting a good maxx air or fantastic vent as recommended. The new one requires no rain cover, very nice to ventilate the coach. Since you have the electric version there is already power there, nice.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Based on a friend's experience........ the first thing to do is to verify that the FUSE is good. He spent days futzing with his Heki trying to sort out a motor/gear problem. The fuse was blown BUT those fuses have a 'tell-tale' light to indicate that it is good ... or not. The problem is in the circuit. There's a feedback of about 5V DC that keeps the tell-tale light on even if the fuse is blown.

After 5 years..... we've not had a problem with our Heki on our View. You have to use a bit of sense here..... If it is really windy.... you need to just close it or raise it only a few inches. If it is opened fully, the wind will buffet the 'cap / cover' and over stress the gear train. NEVER drive with it open... not a crack! Same thing happens.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had the manual model Midi Heki in my '07 View and was quite happy with it.

Ebay sale of new manual Midi Heki $249

No connection with the seller, just found the ad and am using it for a reference point in the post.

Charles
Old 09-01-2019, 04:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Only the inner of ours cracked. It’s a manual and I hooked it on a cable across the alley. Had to fix the handle too. Yep they are pricey!
AZ7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooolboy View Post
2014 Navion iQ view 24V-anybody ever repair their outrageously expensive, highly non functional, Midi Heki Skylight MDHDOM 1370? Repair shop wants $500 to replace the gear set in it. I would like to get it working though I never use it here in Florida. I have heard of those who replace this over engineered under performing expensive skylight with a manual job.

Gear set anyone? how to repair? Or recommendation on a manual skylight that will fit and be reasonably easy to repair?

thanks very much.
I had a 2009 Aspect with this type of skylight. Had it not been for this I probably would still own this coach. Leaked like a seive from day 1. Dealer could not repair leak. Had it in for repairs 2-3 times A year for three years. Finally traded it in on a class A.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Heki Midi skylight

Thanks everybody for your advice!! Got the RV back from the shop after I told them not to fix it with the 500 dollar gear set. The next day, I tried it and it opened...So, I will leave the darned thing closed for now. Maybe it will work again. At least it stayed closed and secure as we ran away from Hurricane Dorian and stayed in a great Florida Before Disney old but beautifully maintained and clean place called Lake Rousseau RV resort. Thanks all. POOOLBOY.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4050.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	172175

Name:	IMG_4051.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	172176
Old 11-06-2020, 04:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Has anyone replaced the skylight with a fan? I love the screen on it and I was hoping I could find a fan that would fit and keep the skylight lid. Not sure there’s such thing as a rectangular fan.
BeeTucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Skylight Removal

How do you pull down the internal shroud on the skylight? I removed the switch but can not see how the larger shroud comes loose. Feels like there's some kind of snaps on the sides but I didn't want to break the plastic. What's the secret???

Rick 17VV
rreynolds51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

14V-Here is the update to my 2018 post on the Dometic Midi Heki Skylight saga. I paid to have the skylight replaced by authorized dealer but the locking mechanism was set so tightly that when I closed it, it would not reopen. Clearly the installer expert did not know how to set the lock mechanism since the first skylight he installed was broken in places that could only have happened when the lock was over powered by the opening mechanism and torqued the frame. So the plot thickens. Called Winnebago, they said call Dometic. Called them to see how to correctly set the locking mechanism. The young lady who answered could not find the most unexcellent Midi Heki Skylights in her database even thought I had the COMPLETE model number. Then she told me that Dometic has NO TECH support for users, call the installer. Of course I told her the installer did not know how to set the lock mechanism either and gave up. I worked with two Philips head screws near the locking mechanism and moved their set more toward the back of the RV and that seemed to solve the problem. There are two screws, the bottom screw was loose and I have no idea what its function is but moving the top screw aft eased the violence with which the skylight opened. Winnebago, you can do better than selecting a skylight that most of us hate, that costs a fortune, that is not supported by your supplier, and that breaks routinely.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210420_115236[1].jpg
Views:	168
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	178443  
Old 04-25-2021, 04:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTucson View Post
Has anyone replaced the skylight with a fan? I love the screen on it and I was hoping I could find a fan that would fit and keep the skylight lid. Not sure there’s such thing as a rectangular fan.
I put in a MaxAir fan in my 06. I put aluminum on top and plywood inside to fill in the hole. I have pictures on many threads on the Fb page. (No access to pictures on this contraption)
ForestF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 02:58 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreynolds51 View Post
How do you pull down the internal shroud on the skylight? I removed the switch but can not see how the larger shroud comes loose. Feels like there's some kind of snaps on the sides but I didn't want to break the plastic. What's the secret???

Rick 17VV
Bpauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:54 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

how do i get to view the video?
MarkW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light