Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-04-2022, 06:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Disable Side Cameras?

Hi - We have a new to us 2019 Minnie Winnie 22M and I’m finding the side cameras more of a nuisance then they are helpful. Either they’re dirty or the suns glare renders then useless.

One issue for me is that I like using the rear camera to watch the Toad as I pass people to know when I’m clear of them and can pull back over to the right lane.

The other issue is that when the turn signal is canceled it takes 4-5 seconds for the rear camera view to kick back in.

To me it’s more natural to use the convex mirrors then to try and glance at another screen. I found myself mistakenly glancing at the GPS first which is near my camera display because it is brighter and more noticeable.

Anyway I was wondering if there was a way in the settings to disable them or would their inputs need to be removed from the display unit?

Thanks
Ben
Kelm130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:18 AM   #2
Site Team

There are probably a couple of ways to disable those cameras, but I think all of them are something that would have to be done mechanically. I think the most logical method would be to remove the turn signal sensing trigger. I know there is one but I’m not sure how you get to it. My guess is there is a connection for the trigger at the camera junction controller box behind your dash or connected to the back of the radio/monitor. But it’s a guess.

Take the RV to a car audio installer and have them find it. Don’t just disconnect the cameras or you’ll end up with blank screens on the monitor when you use the turn signal.

By the way, everything I’ve said is a guess and just my opinion, certainly not a fact.

For what it’s worth, I agree that the image they provide isn’t very helpful and I seldom bother to look at it.
Old 02-04-2022, 04:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Look under the hood for where the connection is to the mirror/ camera. Unplugging it should stop the mirror cameras from working . Rear camera should still work .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Ok it’s official - I don’t like the side view cameras. I tried to get used to them but the time delay from side camera back to radio screen then back to rear camera is too long plus what you see in the side view is pretty much worthless depending on the sun and time of day.

I wondered what would happen If I disabled the cameras right at the mirrors providing there is a connector there that I can pull apart. I’d guess that the screen would still try to show the camera but would be just a blank screen instead.

Anyone ever try this?
Kelm130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I think I tried to say that in my post. Might still be a delay ,before it comes back to rear view.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yeah that’s what I’m worried about is it will still have a delay. Probably need to do like you said Is to find the multiplexer behind the radio and disable it there.
Old 03-06-2022, 02:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

In our Fuse the multiplexor was simply in the cabinet above the cab, fully visible and easy to access. Disconnecting any input only involved removing the cable connection for that device. Easy peasy. In our regency it is hidden and I have not tried to find out where it is.

As for the cameras themselves, I find them useful, but after 60 years of driving cars the habit of looking at the side mirrors is so deeply ingrained in me that I have not been able to break myself of the habit of doing that first. After I do that I keep reminding myself "Oh, yeah. There are cameras".
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

On the E-350 I think you have to pull the dash out. Probably not a big deal for a car stereo place but it always scares me to mess with it. I think I’m going to add a camera and get the monitor type that hangs on the rear view mirror. Cost is around $350 probably the same as having someone pulling the dash. Plus I’d have to reconnect them when we sold the rv.
Old 03-09-2022, 03:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I installed side corner cameras as one smack on the rear getting fuel was enough, but I also have the hanging rear camera monitor above which always is on and the corner cameras I installed in the dash, you can also get systems to use the side cameras for security purposes I may do an upgrade for a 360 system down the road the more views the less crash good luck
norcal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 12:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I just ordered the halo view camera and monitor that hangs on the mirror. Camera is wireless and runs on a battery pack. It has a magnetic base that you can attach to the rv or it has a metal plate with 3M tape that you stick to the rear wall then attach the camera to it. The monitor also had a forward looking camera on it also. Coming from Hong Kong so we’ll see how long it takes to get here :-)
Old 03-12-2022, 09:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I did this on my 2017 31K. I now have a switch in my glove compartment that allows me to enable/disable the mirror cameras at any time. It's not really difficult, you only need to remove the engine cover for access. I'm searching for a write-up that I believe I did and I'll post it when I find it. It's so much nicer to see my toad now when I'm changing lanes.
BSWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 09:19 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Here are the notes on how I disabled my cameras:

First I’d like to explain why I chose to disable my side view cameras on my Winnebago. The mirrors on this RV are great, they don’t need any help. While dragging my Jeep TJ I’m always keeping an eye on it with my rear camera. When I have to pass a truck I watch my camera until the truck just leaves my view, at that point I’m leaving a safe distance to change lanes. If I put my signal on too early my side camera interrupts my rear camera view so I can’t tell if it’s safe to move over. If I wait to put my signal on until I’m ready to move, it’s not uncommon to have a moron cut in front of the truck and jet around me on my right. I’m hoping that putting my signal on a little earlier might discourage that.

Now how I did it. I read many posts from people trying to do exactly what I was struggling with; removing the face of the dash of a 2017 E450 just far enough to pull the radio. It sounds like a few people had good results with lowering the steering column. But I was hoping for something a little easier and I found it.

I had read that the video switching box was mounted behind the radio, and you would need to get to it to cut the two signal lines from the turn signals. I was having a heck of a time getting to the back of that radio, I just about gave up. The last thing I planned to try was removing my engine cover for the first time and hoping I could reach the radio from there. Boy was that a good idea.

With the cover removed I laid on my back and looked up at a rat’s nest of wires. I noticed a lot of yellow wires going to a box. Believe it or not, there was enough slack in the wires to bring the box down in front of me…it was THE box. I could easily see the two yellow 14 gauge wires, in the center of a plug holding four wires total. These two were the signal wires that allowed me to add a switch to disable/enable my useless side cameras. I put the switch there mostly for the next owner, I don’t think I’ll ever turn it on again.

So if anyone else is thinking of doing this Do Not Pull the Front of Your Dash, at least with this model it doesn’t help at all. In my research I found that Winnebago uses this same switch on both Class As and Cs. I don’t know where it’s hidden on a Class A but obviously within a foot or so of the radio.

PS As I remember it, I believe I used a DPDT switch to interrupt the two signal lines going to the black box.
BSWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 01:32 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks BSWS for the great write up! I'm sure it will help a lot of folks who have the same dislike of the side view cameras. Yes I know some of folks like them but for some of us they are less than helpful.
Old 03-21-2022, 01:39 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

That was my solution (Halp View on rear view mirror ) on my Aspect. Love it!!
RiverGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 03:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Just installed mine today. Couldn’t have been easier. Looks good at the storage lot but need to road test it soon. Road trip!

Tags
camera