Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Disable Autolock on Coach Door

Just have to ask...can it be done? On our 2006 View I just removed the leads from the door solenoid, no problem, everything else worked. Things have changed! With some current issues around '14-15 era it appears they were overloading the SAM and now they have added relays and...bottom line they say only Mercedes or WGO dealer can disable the coach door autolock/key fob operation by reprogramming the front SAM. Wow. Well I had not even thought about it until getting locked out the other day, fortunately in the drive at home and DW keys were in the stick&brick. I removed the wires to solenoid and viola, disabled the keyfob operation of the passenger side cab door as well, no lock, no unlock. Great. I suppose I can just make sure the keys are attached to my body every time I step out or drive a few 100 miles to a Mercedes shop. I'm befuddled why anyone would want the coach door to auto-lock. OK, it is about 90*F, I'm grilling a meal (just thinking out loud), step into the coach to get a cool one, go back out to the grill and hear the solenoid click click. Keys on the table inside, DW gone off somewhere. Bummer! It really happened to us with the 2006 view but I had a window open. Borrowed a ladder from the neighbor in camp and crawled in, that night removed the solenoid wires. Wish it were that simple in the new rig.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone simply removed the linkage from the solenoid to the door lock? Seems that would work and not confuse the SAM? In other words, let the SAM do it's thing but if you remove the linkage it won't really lock or unlock the door, just operate a solenoid which is not connected.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak73 View Post
Just have to ask...can it be done? On our 2006 View I just removed the leads from the door solenoid, no problem, everything else worked. Things have changed! With some current issues around '14-15 era it appears they were overloading the SAM and now they have added relays and...bottom line they say only Mercedes or WGO dealer can disable the coach door autolock/key fob operation by reprogramming the front SAM. Wow. Well I had not even thought about it until getting locked out the other day, fortunately in the drive at home and DW keys were in the stick&brick. I removed the wires to solenoid and viola, disabled the keyfob operation of the passenger side cab door as well, no lock, no unlock. Great. I suppose I can just make sure the keys are attached to my body every time I step out or drive a few 100 miles to a Mercedes shop. I'm befuddled why anyone would want the coach door to auto-lock. OK, it is about 90*F, I'm grilling a meal (just thinking out loud), step into the coach to get a cool one, go back out to the grill and hear the solenoid click click. Keys on the table inside, DW gone off somewhere. Bummer! It really happened to us with the 2006 view but I had a window open. Borrowed a ladder from the neighbor in camp and crawled in, that night removed the solenoid wires. Wish it were that simple in the new rig.
I always store a spare key conspicuously outside on all my vehicles because for me, it's not a question of If, but when I will lock myself out. Happened three times in the first year of ownership of our current RV. Larry, 2014 Reyo P.
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:31 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Larry and that's the thing I'm talking about. You don't really lock yourself out, the autolock "feature" locks you out. I know, only the gray key is needed on my rig, smaller one, because the solenoid only locks that bottom lock, keyfob only unlocks the bottom lock and the cab doors. I guess some like the idea of a keyfob + autolock on the coach door but to me it is more than an aggravation. I suppose I can get two of those small keys ground and wire them inside a storage compartment but then, when it happens, that storage compartment will be locked. The magnetic key holders work - sometimes, sometimes they fall off too. The other less than ideal engineering IMHO is when you use the keyfob to unlock the coach door you also unlock both front cab doors. Then you go to sleep after manual lock of the coach door and the rig is wide open with both cab doors unlocked Why would they engineer this Actually I don't worry about it when we are inside the rig, the big dog is not letting anyone come in unless invited, not happening.

Tags
door