Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-01-2018, 01:06 PM   #41
Winnie-Wise

I agree with NYBobbo. Looks like we were typing the same thing at the same time.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #42
Winnie-Wise

A forest is there but where are the trees? Well, just to add some FUEL to the discussion, LP produces more CO than diesel but slightly less than gasoline. CO, the winner is diesel for safer fuel. My diesel 3.2 has no filter to change. The big DP diesel genny did have TWO fuel filters and one air filter to change. LP and gas and diesel all use an air filter. There is plenty of Google info out there to read but OSHA does have stringent regulations for LP powered forklifts because of CO and emissions, although they are lower than gasoline as long as the fuel mixture in LP is not too rich.

As noted before by me and just above many campers seldom use the generator. According to Lichtsinn few use them enough to justify the cost of the diesel. We do use our generator a LOT. To determine which one makes sense for you decide if you plan to use the thing a lot. If you do I suggest the diesel makes a lot more sense, if you don't plan to use the thing do NOT spend the big price tag for extra weight. In the South it gets pretty hot and humid and you must be young and healthy (or old and really healthy) to survive without A/C. If you go plug to plug in camps don't spend the cash for a heavy expensive option. We run the thing while traveling in hot weather, when dry camped etc. The diesel was a no brainer choice for us.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:42 PM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Well said Kayak.

To the OP: If you are still with us and haven't done so already, you might want to take a look at my earlier post, #19 on page 2.

It got buried because it wasn't immediately posted. There was a delay because I haven't written much here -- not enough to be in the 'circle of trust' -- and I included a link so a moderator had to approve it.

By the time it was posted there had been several other comments so it was stuck in the middle of the deck so to speak.

SAJ
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:41 AM   #44
Winnebago Owner

SAJ, I read your link material on building your own exhaust system for your built-in diesel generator ... a nice writeup.

FWIW, for long runs of our built-in (gas) generator we close up all windows and roof vents except for the roof vent with a reversible fan in it. We set this vent fan's rotation to "Air In" and set it's speed to "Low".

This sets up, and maintains, a small amount of air pressure in the interior of our Itasca Class C motorhome. This prevents any generator fumes from entering the interior through any opening - no matter how small any crack or other small opening might be and no matter what outside winds might be doing. This works like a champ.

If it gets too warm inside whenever we're doing these long generator runs with all windows and other roof vents closed, we of course can also run the A/C to keep the interior temperature pleasant.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
SAJ, I read your link material on building your own exhaust system for your built-in diesel generator ... a nice writeup.

FWIW, for long runs of our built-in (gas) generator we close up all windows and roof vents except for the roof vent with a reversible fan in it. We set this vent fan's rotation to "Air In" and set it's speed to "Low".

This sets up, and maintains, a small amount of air pressure in the interior of our Itasca Class C motorhome. This prevents any generator fumes from entering the interior through any opening - no matter how small any crack or other small opening might be and no matter what outside winds might be doing. This works like a champ.

If it gets too warm inside whenever we're doing these long generator runs with all windows and other roof vents closed, we of course can also run the A/C to keep the interior temperature pleasant.
Very smart Phil!

That's the first time I've heard anyone mention that idea.

Now I have another project -- replace the Fantastic Fan with a reversible model...

Pressurizing the coach would eliminate the need to reroute the generator exhaust with a 'Gen-turi' style setup, except in campgrounds where the sites are close (which is many/most of them it seems). Chances are -- esp with the diesel -- the fumes may bother other campers.

Even *with* the exhaust routed up to the roofline it can be sometimes be an issue (although much reduced).

We try to boondock and dry camp as much as possible, and only stay in campgrounds that aren't packed. Of course, that's a lot easier if you can avoid the peak season, June through August.

So I'm glad I installed the DIY 'Gen-turi', but I am going to look into getting a reversible fan. Great idea!
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:42 AM   #46
Winnebago Owner

Brilliant! Also, I think you can modify your existing Fantastic Fan to reverse flow with a different switch. I'd inquire with the FF manufacturer before buying a new fan. Larry, 2014 Reyo P.
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #47
Winnebago Owner

Off topic, but .... I also use the technique I mentioned above to maintain pressure inside our Itasca Class C while traveling dirt and gravel roads, as we sometimes travel off-highway.

The small amount of air pressure keeps all dust from the road surface out of the interior of the coach and cab areas. Of course while doing this to help the keep the interior clean, you also should keep the dash ventilation system set to "Maxx Air" so that while heating or air contitioning the cab area you are only recirculating internal air instead of having new dusty air coming in from the outside.

With our Ford E450 chassis when the vent system is set to "Maxx Air", we can use the temperature control to make this recirculated air warm or cold. The term "Maxx Air" on the cab vent control is misleading ... as some folks may think that this only applies when using the air conditioning mode to cool.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:39 PM   #48

Phil, maintaining pressure inside your RV is a viable idea. I agree and use the dash air concept.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:32 AM   #49
Winnebago Owner

We found that on dusty/gravel roads using roof vents with the dash air OFF is better so that no air can enter through the dash system. The dash outside air intake is down kindof low somewhere around the hood or front fenders - where dust is more likely to be present from the road.

Using the roof vent establishes and maintains the coach interior pressure using air up high at roof height. If it's also warm/hot outside, we then run the cab air conditioning on it's air recirculation mode so it does not bring in any outside air from the intake that is somewhere around the hood or front fenders.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:01 AM   #50
Winnebago Owner

AC air intake

My Navion had an air intake over on the passenger side under the windshield cowling, where there was a cabin air filter in the big air intake box. Fresh air entered through the vents below the windshield, then to the air intake box, and through the cabin air filter. If you're getting road dust in, see if you still have your filter installed. You shouldn't have dirt entering the cabin from the vents!
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #51
Taking it as it goes

Not a question about your generator, but how’s your compressor fridge working, especially when boondocking? I’m looking at the same coach right now, but have serious concerns about the compressor fridge.
Free Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #52
Winnie-Wise

Not sure who you directed the question to but here is a stab. The refrigerator is working great, holding temps well. There are caveats. One you need an air dam (covered in detail on a long post on iRV2). Then there were several things done to repair it trial and error and finally it was replaced. Sometime around the end of August another poster started a thread on this site (you can find it I know) which seems to indicate WGO and Norcold have a final resolution to the issue of variable operation and high current draw on the house batteries. Essentially it involves removing a fuse holder on early 18-19 models and wire nut the ends together. I am still on the road, have not done the mod yet. My refrigerator is working great on the two T-1275 batteries I installed, still drawing far too much power from them overnight however I have "spare". If you are looking at a new production coach it should not have the problem based on current info. After all that, yes we boondock fine even use the CPAP at night with humidifier and 300AH of battery works. Still we have had hot weather which means the Air Cond ran a lot which means the generator has 130 hours on it already. Get the diesel generator. The solar helps but normally it is just decoration because you gotta park in the sun which means you must run the genny or suffer. I gave up tent camping about 25 years ago and RV means comfort - which means run the generator. I'm very pleased with the economy of diesel used by the QD3200, no issues at all there. There are many, many, very long threads on several forums discussing the refrigerator and possible fixes and issues. I'm feeling pretty good that it works and in cooler weather the solar works as well. We have made it three days with no generator, no shore, no driving so if you look at cool temps - life is good.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #53
Taking it as it goes

Thanks Kayak. I appreciate your thoughts on this and you have provided me with some confidence that going with a coach with a compressor fridge just might work for us. Still, given all the years of relatively flawless service with our absorption units even with their drawbacks, you’ve got to wonder why we’re sort of tying ourselves in knots trying to make the new fridges and their power supply work?

I’m probably going to make an offer on a new Navion, but the whole fridge system still feels like a mistake.m

Thanks
Free Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:25 AM   #54
Winnebago Owner

The propane generator was almost a deal breaker for me, but couldn't pass up the price for the MH. I was gonna change it out for a diesel if I couldn't tolerate the propane. After two years and 35000 miles, we are pleased with the propane. It suits our short term needs perfectly and has not skipped a beat. Very reliable and clean burning. After about 90 hours of our use, the oil still looks brand new, which I changed out with synthetic when we first got it. I figured we could get about 20 hours of use with a full tank. Your milage may vary. Larry 2014 Reyo P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:24 AM   #55
Winnebago Watcher

On the LP verses the Diesel generator. I have a 2016 Navion. It came with the propane generator. I hate it. I have a golden retriever that I have to leave in the MotorHome sometimes during trips or visiting friends. When it’s hot outside, we have to run the generator to keep the RV cool. The generator burns all the propane in 8 hours use. Or any combination of uses of the generator that total 8 hours.
2016Navion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:20 PM   #56
Winnebago Camper

As I read stories today where people in RVs run out of propane down in Texas during the winter storm (February 14, 2021). We consider our diesel generator as a backup in the case of emergencies and it served us well back last summer when we had a multi-day power cut. Propane would never have allowed us to let it run for 40 hours nonstop.
SpecE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:16 PM   #57
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecE30 View Post
As I read stories today where people in RVs run out of propane down in Texas during the winter storm (February 14, 2021). We consider our diesel generator as a backup in the case of emergencies and it served us well back last summer when we had a multi-day power cut. Propane would never have allowed us to let it run for 40 hours nonstop.
Good point about backup power in an outage. I think this is the only post (other than my own) in which I've seen that mentioned.

As you mentioned, run time is much better with the diesel unit. Best case (tank full) the diesel generator has almost 20 gallons available. At no/light load it burns 0.2 gph; at 50% load 0.3 gph; and at full load, 0.4 gph. So at 50% load, with close to a full tank, the diesel generator can run for about 60 hours or more -- or 2-1/2 days! Also, if it is more convenient, the generator can be left connected and running while fuel is brought to the rig. With LP there's no choice -- every time the tank gets low, the generator must be disconnected and the RV driven to a propane vendor (assuming one is open).

The LP genset uses twice as much fuel (gph) and -- with the 13 gal tank -- about 10.4 gallons, max. So about 1/4 of the run time.

When it comes to which is best it depends on the user. Those who generally have access to shore power obviously don't have much need for a generator. LP is a good choice.

The propane unit has 2 main advantages -- lower cost and cleaner exhaust. It's suitable for many/most owners.

For those who boondock or otherwise use their generator a lot, diesel is the way to go -- or gasoline if that is the chassis engine's fuel.

Not only are gasoline and diesel much easier to find than LP, they are easier to purchase -- just pump and go. With propane there must be an employee on site who can run the pump. Some propane sources are only open M-F, 9-4 pm. Sometimes getting LP is no problem, but it can be a time-consuming hassle.

Also, diesel engines have a much longer service life.

Bottom line, it's just a matter of the right tool for the job.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:11 AM   #58
Winnebago Master

Rather than winterizing, took our 21VD to Galveston for the storm.

The combination of diesel generator and two 125Ah batteries has made it much easier to ride out the storm, because all of Galveston lost power Sunday night and still doesn't have power as of Tuesday morning.

The power went out in the middle of the night - and the lithium batteries took over, with the tank heater and gas heater running, had about 60% of charge left by morning.

While there was a little sun, periodically ran the diesel generator Monday to recharge the batteries - and running everything all night Monday, down to 40%.

Around me in the park the other motorhomes/trailers have been running their generators continuously (no quiet time without shore power!).

By using propane only for coach and water heating, I've been able to stretch the propane to last out this storm. With a diesel generator, not sure I'd have been able to make it two days without shore power - and without any power on the island - it could be a challenge getting a propane refill...

While we didn't expect a record-shattering winter storm with freezing temperatures for almost 48 hours - in Galveston! - configuring our View with the diesel generator, lithium batteries and 480W of solar has made it much easier to ride out this storm.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:17 AM   #59
" Winnie Nutt "

I don't think anyone has mentioned this advantage with going with diesel but yesterday here at home in North Carolina we had an ice storm that knocked out the power from Duke Energy . Pulled the 2018 View 24D out of the shed cranked the diesel onan 3200 and powered our well pump , refrigerator and some lights , T.V ,etc. for 24 hours before the power was restored . We always fill our MH tank before we get home from traveling . So we are thankful we decided on diesel . Plus resale / trade someday is a lot better .
Buddy’s RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:52 AM   #60
" Winnie Nutt "

Sorry but I failed to mention that we were powering areas in our home with the generator .
Buddy’s RV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
24v, diesel, generator, navion, paint, propane, view