Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #101
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
I've read that Onan has finally come out with a quiet inverter RV generator (QG 2800i) but have not seen one in the wild. Hopefully RV manufacturers will make them standard. Unfortunately, it will take a decade or more before they outnumber the old jackhammers that some folks run late into the night while you try to enjoy your campfire, the stars and some quiet peace. Yeah, I know I'm grumpy. Last trip, I had to walk over to another campsite and ask the guy to shut his off.
Looking online at the specs for the Onan 2800 and the Honda 3000 the Honda is somewhat quieter. Both around the same price @ $2500.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:10 PM   #102
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh123 View Post
When you use the generator to power home appliances, are you just running long extension cords? Or is there a way to tap directly into home power?
If you are asking about using your RV generator to power a house. To connect the RV generator directly to the house requires a transfer switch at the house connection to keep from feeding the electricity out to the power lines.

So typically to power things like a fridge or freezer in a house you would run an electric cord to the appliance.

We did just that last week in San Antonio when we were w/o electric for about 60 hours. We ran a cord in and ran the fridge for a while to cool it down, then plugged in the gas furnace in the house to heat up the house, then connected to the TV for the evening.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:48 PM   #103
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Looking online at the specs for the Onan 2800 and the Honda 3000 the Honda is somewhat quieter. Both around the same price @ $2500.
His test was measured, but the Onan had the advantage of being in an enclosed compartment vs the Honda being outside. Measurements INSIDE his coach might favor the Honda. Onan touts the new vibration dampeners as 89% "better" at full load, so hopefully they help with the inside noise/feel.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:09 PM   #104
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh123 View Post
When you use the generator to power home appliances, are you just running long extension cords? Or is there a way to tap directly into home power?
As with any generator, you could use a transfer switch -- both utility power and generator power are connected as inputs and the user selects one or the other as the output.

Of course the generator will only be able to run a handful of loads, so sometimes a "critical loads" sub-panel is installed. That's what we do here at home with our UPS system (2 inverters and 16 GC batteries).

Another option is to just use the existing main panel and turn off all of the large loads, leaving just the breakers for what you want the generator to run turned on.

(There is a method called backfeeding that does not use a transfer switch, but it is illegal in many places due to the potential danger to linemen if the main breaker is inadvertently left on. It's best to use a switch).

That said, for infrequent use, most people just run extension cords. Of course, the shorter the run the better, and ideally #10 gauge (or at a minimum #12) cords are used to minimize voltage drop and maximize available power.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:01 AM   #105
Winnebago Watcher

I previously owned a diesel pusher with a diesel generator that I could run for 24 hours non stop. Never had a problem in 8 years. We live in Florida and needed to run the basement air just to keep the unit cool while traveling. I have a 2020 24V View now with an LP generator and it is a real LP gas hog. I am frequently topping off the LP so I don't run out at inconvenient times. i've just ordered a 2022 view and a diesel generator was a "must have" even though I have to wait till April 2022 to get the coach.
pheidbrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #106
Winnebago Master

When we selected our 21D in June 2020, the dealer told us they didn't sell many Views with diesel generators.

We insisted on having a diesel generator - and even though it puts out slightly less power, it has helped when we've been boondocking if very hot and very cold temperatures - allowing us to use most of the LP for heating the cabin - and the larger diesel tank to run everything else (charging the lithium batteries, air conditioning, ...). When we stay in parks, it's much easier to find diesel than to find a propane refuel.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:40 PM   #107
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheidbrink View Post
I previously owned a diesel pusher with a diesel generator that I could run for 24 hours non stop. Never had a problem in 8 years. We live in Florida and needed to run the basement air just to keep the unit cool while traveling. I have a 2020 24V View now with an LP generator and it is a real LP gas hog. I am frequently topping off the LP so I don't run out at inconvenient times. i've just ordered a 2022 view and a diesel generator was a "must have" even though I have to wait till April 2022 to get the coach.
Very good points based on real-world experience.

My wife and I bought a 2009 View in 2012. One of our 'must haves' was a diesel generator. I'm glad we held out until we found a unit with one. To be honest, we haven't had to use it that much -- maybe 200+ hours in 80,000 miles of travel over several months -- in large part because we try to avoid temp extremes.

Also, while we dry camp and boondock a lot, we also do stay at campgrounds with electric, as well as with friends and family.

Still, we've avoided *many* LP tank fill-ups. Say 200 hours x 0.5 gph with a LP genset = 100 gallons. So that's about 10 fills we did not have to worry about. If we had traveled to places where A/C was a necessity, that number would of course be much higher.

The availability and ease of buying propane (vs diesel) is a subject that can be like the fable of the 5 blind men describing the elephant -- some swear that it is readily available anywhere in the country, 24/7/365. Others say it can be a time-consuming hassle to find. I am in the latter group. We have been in towns where it seemed every other gas station had RV propane, but that is unusual. Typically there is none at all (within a reasonable distance) or maybe there is a propane dealer nearby, but they are closed. Or the one employee authorized to fill RV tanks is not available. RV "resorts" are sometimes an option but they typically charge about double the going price.

In any case, that's been our experience.

As I've said before though, the LP genset is a good choice for many owners. They are significantly less expensive and their exhaust is cleaner. If the generator is used infrequently, for short periods of time, the additional LP use can be minimal.

So it really is a case of "the right tool for the job".
Old 09-24-2021, 01:51 PM   #108
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
When we selected our 21D in June 2020, the dealer told us they didn't sell many Views with diesel generators.

We insisted on having a diesel generator - and even though it puts out slightly less power, it has helped when we've been boondocking if very hot and very cold temperatures - allowing us to use most of the LP for heating the cabin - and the larger diesel tank to run everything else (charging the lithium batteries, air conditioning, ...). When we stay in parks, it's much easier to find diesel than to find a propane refuel.
Also very good points.

I'd say the primary reason why Winnebago doesn't sell many diesel generators -- especially in the V/N -- is the added expense. I was shocked when I realized how much more the diesel unit costs (we bought ours used). As I recall it's about double -- almost $3,000 more -- is that still the case?

Another reason is that while there are full-timers in V/Ns, it's uncommon. Most V/N owners are probably less likely to use the generator than owners of the large Class A coaches.

Finally, even if the 2 gensets were the same price, some people would still opt for the LP generator for its cleaner exhaust.

What would be ideal would be a diesel unit with emissions controls similar to our Sprinter chassis, and a db level like a Honda! That would sell some rigs.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:56 AM   #109
Winnebago Camper

Minnie Winnie 22M

We were in the same predicament but decide to go a different route if your not locked in to a View. The Minnie Winnie 22M on the e450 Frame. Much less expensive and handles like a HD truck. No highway wobble or exit ramp lean, etc. Massive weight capacity of #4500. Easy to have serviced and easy to find gas (87 Octane works great). 56gal. gas tank with gas generator. Much larger propane tank at 18g.
The RV sips propane while running heat, refrigerator and water heater. Really nice fold out queen with the small slide. We added 510 watts of solar and 220 amps of GC AGM batteries and will need to refill our water and empty out our holding tanks boondocking before I need to worry about recharging my batteries. Very happy campers we skipped the MB View.
Boale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:34 PM   #110
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boale View Post
We were in the same predicament but decide to go a different route if your not locked in to a View. The Minnie Winnie 22M on the e450 Frame. Much less expensive and handles like a HD truck. No highway wobble or exit ramp lean, etc. Massive weight capacity of #4500. Easy to have serviced and easy to find gas (87 Octane works great). 56gal. gas tank with gas generator. Much larger propane tank at 18g.
The RV sips propane while running heat, refrigerator and water heater. Really nice fold out queen with the small slide. We added 510 watts of solar and 220 amps of GC AGM batteries and will need to refill our water and empty out our holding tanks boondocking before I need to worry about recharging my batteries. Very happy campers we skipped the MB View.
D'OH!

Now we must sell our View and buy a Minnie Winnie 22M on the e450 Frame.

It sounds like you are happy, that's the main thing. RVs are all about compromise. You make good points about GVWR and OCCC, as well as ease of service.

Actually, the LP tank in our View is 18 gallons also. That was standard until 2010 or 2011. I imagine almost all RVs use about the same amount of propane for heat/fridge/water heater, all else equal (same size coach, same amount of hot water, etc.) because they have similar appliances.

The V/N does not have 'highway wobble or exit ramp lean'. In fact, the lean on curves -- at or even slightly above the "advisory speed" (yellow/black signs) -- is modest, and I'm used to driving a modified and lowered Subaru WRX.

The V/N definitely DOES have severe rocking when turning out of parking lots, or going over a diagonal speed bump. It is ridiculous. Like many owners, we've modified the suspension to try and minimize it: Hellwig anti-sway bar; Firestone air bags (already installed when we bought it); "Sumo Springs" up front; and Koni FSD dampers on all 4 corners. All of that helps, but the rocking is still there (to a lesser extent).

The rocking is not nearly as big of an issue as some owners make it out to be though. 99.8% of the time RVers are just driving down the road, *not* turning out of parking lots. It's a "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good" situation. It's not worth obsessing over.

Another disadvantage of the Sprinter chassis is that it is over-engineered. There are many things that can cause it to go into "limp home mode" (LHM). Some are serious and legit, others not. A problem we ran into (not related to LHM) was an intermittent "no click, no start" with no CEL. It turned out to be 3/6 glow plugs bad. I can understand it cranking but having a hard time starting (which it didn't) with only 3 good glow plugs, but not even turning over?! As far as I know, almost all diesel engines will at east *try* to start, even with no/0 working glow plugs. Sigh...

The Sprinter quirks aside, it is a good chassis and will run for hundreds of thousands of miles. The ride is very good, the handling is decent, the turning radius is reasonable, there is no "dog box" (engine cover) sticking into the cab area, the view out is great, the seats are very comfortable, it is quiet, -- even the stock speakers are very good. In all honesty, for long highway trips I would rather drive it than any of our cars (of course we don't have an S-Class or similar...).

Many people give too much weight to fuel economy, but it is a serious consideration (one of many). The newer V/N with the V6 diesel gets an honest 14-15 mpg. We've seen as high as 17.7 mpg, but we were intentionally driving slow on a flat Florida 4-lane highway with very light traffic. The lowest mileage we've ever seen was about 12 mpg, and that was driving into a strong headwind with the throttle floored most of the time.

I'm not familiar with the interior of the Minnie Winnie. Some things we like about our 2009 View (as opposed to the later models) are the:

* Full-sized (aka actually usable) round stainless sink
* The large 3 burner stove (common until recent years)
* The fridge with an actual top *freezer* (not the dorm type with the tiny "freezer" in the fridge)
* Dinette with a very solid, sturdy table with wood trim (matches the kitchen counter)
* Dinette benches upholstered in "Ultra Leather" (when it was still good quality and didn't disintegrate)
* Fantastic Fan

This is a non-functional detail, but the wooden grille below the wardrobe is very attractive and well-made. Winnebago could have easily gone with a cheap metal HVAC vent. I'm a 'function over form' guy, so stuff like that does not carry much weight with me, but it is definitely a nice touch.

There are many details like that. One, that is also functional/structural, are the floor to ceiling, thick, rounded, aluminum corner pieces. They are impressive. Maybe Winnebago uses them in other coaches, IDK. Another is the cabinetry. It is very well made, attractive, and has marine grade 'push to lock' latches. The newer V/Ns do not, and as a result the doors can fly open. Owners of these $120K+ rigs must use bungee cords to hold the doors closed (and/or buy and install stronger latches).

I was seriously considering selling our View (due to COVID restrictions, overcrowding, reservations req'd 6-12 months ahead, etc.) but after writing this I think I may keep it.

Tags
24v, diesel, generator, navion, paint, propane, view