Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 07:03 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Decals.. fade.. nuf said. If u plan to keep unit long time.. full body paint is the way to go. I have 2011 looks brand new. If diesel tank feeds gen go with it. My Onan gen cost 1/2 gal an hour out of my tank. I do lots of boondocking so gen works lots and it’s cheap. Worth the money when u go diesel.
Hendo6771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:09 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty550 View Post
If you choose/have a diesel generator, make sure that the exhaust pipe for the generator exits at the rear of the rig. If it doesn't, it can easily be modified by a muffler shop. THEN: purchase a GenTuri. It attaches to the tip of the exhaust pipe so that the diesel fumes don't inundate the bedroom space; instead, the fumes will exit out the top, near the roof line. Easy to install, and breaks down for easy storage.
It's not for everyone, but an option some owners might consider is a DIY GenTuri.

DW and I have one on our View. It's (semi) permanently mounted so it's ready to go all the time:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=58308

The 'shopping list' in post #1 was preliminary. A couple parts changed but I can no longer edit the post.

Photos in posts 19 and 25.

As easy as setting up the Camco GenTuri appears to be, I like the idea of being able to fire up the generator anytime (where/when allowed) without having to first install the GenTuri. It's one more thing to mess with, and if it's raining then it's even less fun.

OTOH, the Camco GenTuri is lighter and less work -- at least initially.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I have an LP generator and am very satisfied. LP is a bit harder to find than diesel but I do not use the gen very much. So it does not really matter to me.

IMHO, if you plan to use your gen a lot, go diesel. If not, go LP. It's cheaper, less vibration, no smell, more power, etc.

Full body paint really look nicer. Is it worth the price? Your call.
as000ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:41 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Propane vrs Diesel

Hi,

I do not have either. Mine is a gas generator. However, all my other friends have diesel generators except one who has propane. All the diesel generator people complain about the increased noise and smell from the diesel. The propane guy complains about nothing.

Just my two cents.
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:45 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Smell??? If the wind is blowing from the exhaust side I close my windows. Never had a problem
Hendo6771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:18 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Go diesel, and opt for full body paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingTs View Post
My husband and I are getting ready to purchase a Navion or View 24v. After some research, it seems there are pros/cons for both propane and diesel generators, but diesel would probably win out. We are leaning towards diesel, but want to be sure it’ll be worth the extra cost before we pull the trigger. Anyone go with the propane and wish they chose diesel?

Also if anyone has an opinion on whether the full body paint is worth the extra cost, I’d appreciate that too, since it seems the diesel generator option usually comes with full body paint, and the propane option usually comes with the decals.

Thanks!!! (We will be full-timing for awhile, hoping to bop around between boondocking, moondocking, and campsites. We had a home renovation go bad and are going to travel while we wait on our lawsuit. Trying to make some lemonade out of the lemons that keep getting chucked at us!)
We purchased a navion 24v in April 2016 that had full body paint and the diesel generator. We could not have been happier in that I could polish and wax it occasionally, and never had any of the streaking from gel coating that fades.

The diesel generators were in quite a bit of demand when we got ours and we're fortunate that the dealer had one set up the way we wanted it already on his lot. The diesel generator is not stinky because we're used to diesel, however any vehicle that has a generator you must be careful not to get CO back into your vehicle whether it is from the propane or from the diesel exhaust. I like the diesel because if you are getting CO back into your rig you can smell the diesel exhaust. You probably won't be able to smell the propane exhaust. We have friends who had to go to the hospital because their propane generator was putting CO back into the rig and they were very very low on oxygen in their blood but thankfully the ambulance got there quickly, when they woke up just in the nick of time and called 911.

We traded our Navion for a Forza and it brought way more back to us in the trade because of the full body paint and the diesel generator. If I ever downsize that's the configuration I'm going to go to. Plus they told me that you could use the diesel out of your main tank till it gets to 1/4, then the generator will shut off , and then it will save you enough to get to a filling station so that you can refill your diesel tank. Good luck and happy trails.
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:34 PM   #27

"I like the diesel because if you are getting CO back into your rig you can smell the diesel exhaust."

Sometimes, most of the time, but it only takes once when you don't.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:12 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Diesel engines produce 1/28th the amount of CO as gasoline engines. In other words, that diesel genny has got to be pumping exhaust right into the rig to cause the issue that LP or gasoline will. LP and gas engines you really need multiple detectors in the rig, near your sleep quarters if you run it while asleep. Diesel also produces more soot and other particulates which are linked to several health issues although those don't kill you immediately. When we had our gasser Aspect I opened the rear window nearest the generator to see if my detectors worked - immediately! In less than a minute I had both alarming, then shut down the genny and opened all windows and vent fans on. Bottom line, be careful out there.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:35 PM   #29

Good observations, kayak. In tight quarters campgrounds beware of your generator’s exhaust and your neighbors.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:42 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
"I like the diesel because if you are getting CO back into your rig you can smell the diesel exhaust."

Sometimes, most of the time, but it only takes once when you don't.
Very true.

Needless to say, CO poisoning and CO detectors are very important subjects that deserve their own thread.

Kayak makes a good point though -- that diesel engines produce much less CO. That's certainly something to consider but I wouldn't say it's a reason to stay away from the propane genset.

Issues with CO seem rare, and a CO detector should keep people safe in the event of a problem.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingTs View Post
My husband and I are getting ready to purchase a Navion or View 24v. After some research, it seems there are pros/cons for both propane and diesel generators, but diesel would probably win out. We are leaning towards diesel, but want to be sure it’ll be worth the extra cost before we pull the trigger. Anyone go with the propane and wish they chose diesel?

Also if anyone has an opinion on whether the full body paint is worth the extra cost, I’d appreciate that too, since it seems the diesel generator option usually comes with full body paint, and the propane option usually comes with the decals.

Thanks!!! (We will be full-timing for awhile, hoping to bop around between boondocking, moondocking, and campsites. We had a home renovation go bad and are going to travel while we wait on our lawsuit. Trying to make some lemonade out of the lemons that keep getting chucked at us!)

Having had both, we now have a class diesel, and am glad we have the deisel. It not only is a single fuel to carry, our fuel tank is a bit larger to accommodate for it. When the fuel tank is down to 1/4 full, the generator won't run, to keep you from running out of fuel. The annual cost to maintain is the same, fuel filtair filter and oil change. We also change the fuel filter yearly. I would go diesel. As far as the paint, the full body paint lasts longer and protects the fiberglass better. Our full body paint on a 2007 Itasca looks as shiny as it did new. We get it waxed annually for around $200, and every time I wash it I use a product called RV gel wash and wax from camping world in a gallon size and you don't have to hand dry it. The shine is unbelievable! Full body paint, the quality that Winnebago uses will last longer than the time you own the RV.
Newhorizon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #32
Winnie-Wise

The question being LP vs diesel, gas is not even in the picture. Gas has all kinds of negatives.. Think about the fact that all indoor operating equipment operates on propane. example: forklifts, zamboni, floor scrubers. The exaust from propane is water. These gens are outside so not an issue.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #33

To expand Tucsonoty's thoughts, the propane industry says at Propane, the Environment and Propane Emissions

Propane is not considered a greenhouse gas.
Propane is not damaging to freshwater or saltwater ecosystems, underwater plant or marine life.
Propane is not harmful to soil if spilled on the ground. Propane will not cause harm to drinking water supplies.
Propane vapor will not cause air pollution. Propane vapor is not considered air pollution.
Propane vapor is not harmful if accidentally inhaled by birds, animals or people.
Propane will only cause bodily harm if liquid propane comes in contact with skin (boiling point -44°F).
Old 06-01-2018, 11:26 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
To expand Tucsonoty's thoughts, the propane industry says at Propane, the Environment and Propane Emissions

Propane is not considered a greenhouse gas.
Propane is not damaging to freshwater or saltwater ecosystems, underwater plant or marine life.
Propane is not harmful to soil if spilled on the ground. Propane will not cause harm to drinking water supplies.
Propane vapor will not cause air pollution. Propane vapor is not considered air pollution.
Propane vapor is not harmful if accidentally inhaled by birds, animals or people.
Propane will only cause bodily harm if liquid propane comes in contact with skin (boiling point -44°F).
Interesting; I wasn't aware of any of that. Thanks for posting.

I also didn't know that diesel produces less CO. Our only experience has been with a gasoline genny since that's what came on our gasoline RV. It works fine but with a new coach we'll be considering the alternatives.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #35

As you should, Sarah, but I'm still in the camp that says your generator should use the same fuel as the MH for ease of refueling. And I need to admit that noise has been my only issue with generators when camping...not fumes.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
As you should, Sarah, but I'm still in the camp that says your generator should use the same fuel as the MH for ease of refueling. And I need to admit that noise has been my only issue with generators when camping...not fumes.
I agree, Larry. But it's still nice to get educated on some of the differences. We are "vacation" campers and hardly use our generator other than exercising it or to make coffee and keep the a/c on at rest stops. So if we buy a View/Navion, a propane genny would probably work fine for our needs.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:29 PM   #37
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene36542 View Post
Recommended oil change of 250 hrs vs. 150 for a start. No plugs to change ever. We've bought a small RV with a diesel motor. I bought it because the small diesel has great power and fuel economy. If you're going to actually use a generator its the same "theory."

If not, save you're money and go LP. My 2 cents.
While the OC interval is true for a 3.6Kw LP vs. a 3.2Kw diesel (according to ONAN's technical information). I've no data but suspect that the 150 hr OC for an LP is based on an assumption that it is similar to a gasoline powered generator which is 'dirty' energy. "Gas is gas" right? Not.

And it is true that diesel doesn't have spark plugs to change. The diesel, however, has filters, fuel pump, engine management system, injector pump and injectors that 'will' require service sooner or later. And, recall that diesel fuel is not a 'clean burning' energy source that craps up pumps, injectors, filters and the like. Eventually, it will need $$$$ service.

LP engines have "a" spark plug and electronic ignition, management systems and an air filter. They have a 'carburetor' - sort of.... but, likely point of failure is the LP regulator itself. LP is 'clean burning' and does not suffer the gunking and crapping up associated with petro based fuels. And that's the difference. A spark plug is a couple bucks and takes 15 minutes to gap and change without tearing the unit apart.

What I was questioning .... and need understanding here .... is how does a diesel engine become more efficient when highly loaded? Diesels are not throttled (controlling the air flow with a butterfly valve) like a gas engine. Diesels simply inject more fuel to get more power. Fuel = power. So, a highly loaded, high revving diesel will be using more fuel than when it is less loaded or at idle.

And between the two.... despite the trivial difference in fuel burn, the LP produces 400 more Kw than the diesel. I think we should be looking at Whr vs fuel consumption in Lbs/hr to have a level playing field.

About 4 years ago, I studied the ONAN data sheets for the 3.2 QD and the 3.6 QG(LP). Clearly, the differences in fuel consumption at full load are insignificant using the lens of Lbs/hr. The QD 3.2 burns .4 gal/hr or 3.0 lbs/hr (1.36Kg/hr) vs the QD LP using .7 gal (LP)/hr or 3.1 lbs/hr (1.4Kg/hr). The consumption is virtually the same and difference is in not significant.

In gallons/hr the LP unit uses about .7 gal vs .4 gal for the diesel. And, although the diesel 'appears' to be more efficient 'run time' of either generator depends entirely on the fuel quantity available. The 'off set' here (repeating myself.... again) is the electrical capacity of the LP unit. It can provide power for a 13,500BTU/1600W AC and have 2000W additional capacity vs only 1000W for the diesel unit.

Putting it another way, the 3.6 LP will operate around 40% of it's rated capacity resulting in slightly less than it's half load fuel consumption of 2.4 lbs/hr. The 3.2 QD will operate at 50% of it's rating at half load and burn 2.3 Lb/hr. With a little slight of hand, you could say the QG unit will use more than 2.3 Lbs/hr but less than 2.4 Lbs/hr. The difference is not significant, pointing out again it's about how much fuel is available and how much extra electrical power is available (at an insignificant difference in fuel burn).
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #38

Good question, Old Crows.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #39
Winnie-Wise

I haven't seen any forum threads about diesel gen issues... they could be out there but I haven't looked. THere have been threads about problems with the LP.

Is this a last ditch effort to try to do another comparison between LP and Diesel?

I don't really care even if the diesel proved to be less efficient, which I doubt, the remainder of the benefits for Diesel far outweighs LP if you plan on using your gen for more than very very short periods of time. I can and have pulled over with 1/2 tank of fuel, ran the gen for 10 hours for AC-Microwave, and everything else and can barely see a change in my fuel gauge. After many fill up at night, run the gen, refill first thing in the AM calculations it still comes to 1/3gal per hour average.

lt's OK with me if you or anyone else has an LP gen, It all boils down to application as to the "right" decision between the two. Lets all get along regardless of gen fuels.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #40
Winnie-Wise

We are losing the tree in the forest. After spending $100's to get to the camping site, as long as everything works I will be happy. About 90% of all RV's never see 200 hours on the generator. It is more about will it start and meet the needs at the time you need it. Either LP or diesel have a good reputation for starting. Gas has issue with alcohol in today's fuels eating internal rubber parts causing starting problems. Bottom line, if an RV is new on a lot or used, either generator will work just fine. If I was ordering a new unit I would order diesel.

Tags
24v, diesel, generator, navion, paint, propane, view