Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2020, 06:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Diesel or LP generator

I am trying to decide which one to get in the 2020-2021 View.
How effective is the dash AC? How often do you need to run the generator to power the roof AC on hot(95F) days?
Any service and parts availability problems with the 3200 W diesel generator since it is imported?
ahamor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I thought Cummins discontinued the QD 3200. But in any case you will burn about 1 gph of propane while powering the coach A/C. With a useable capacity of about 10 gallons you will need to search out propane suppliers quite often.

Even though it has had some problems and might be a little noisier, the diesel generator burns about half of what the propane one does and pulls its fuel from the chassis tank so except for not operating at less than 1/4 fuel tank, it is a lot easier to keep fueled.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Good question. I'm not sure which way I would lean, but thought I would give you some things to think about.

I would research the maintenance differences, and whether a diesel generator has all the emissions stuff vehicle engines do, like a particulate filter and DEF? If so, that could complicate reliability. A propane generator should be relatively low maintenance--oil and air filter changes. Also, diesel engines don't tend to be good for repeated short duration runs. On the other-hand, diesel is likely safer than either gasoline or propane. I have a tri-fuel generator for at home power outages and I never leave it connected to propane or NG when not running.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have the Onan QD3200 (I believe the "discontinued" rumor was based on a particular dealer, NORWALL, that no longer stocks them, aka "discontinued"), and it's a brute for power once it gets going. Easily runs full load appliances and A/C on .4 gph.
Uses very little fuel and does not require DEF, or have a DPF. It's more like a heavy duty gas engine that runs on diesel. It may have more replaceable parts than either gas/propane, and they are supposed to be readily available via Cummins/Onan, or some RV dealerships. I have only got around 12 hours on ours, so I haven't done any scheduled maintenance yet. There are some good "how to" videos out there.
Here's a link to the OM which has most of the specs, and some other manuals, and some videos, too.
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...sclient=psy-ab

Here are some links to similar discussions on RVNet and iRV2 in this search. Scroll down a bit to see them.
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...4dUDCAg&uact=5
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Our Fuse came with an LP generator and I have come to believe that it is actually a bit more convenient than the gas that I used to have or the diesel that might have come with our diesel RV, but I think it depends upon how often you use the AC.

For us all generator usage other than the AC accounts for very little LP consumption. Only the AC really uses a lot because we generally run the AC when needed for several hours at a time and the AC puts a big load on the generator. That combination of heavy usage and long time tends to use a lot of LP. Running a hot water kettle or microwave uses very little given how short a time the generator is on.

It is certainly true that LP is more difficult to find and takes longer to fill, and that is a disadvantage for LP generators. On the other hand I no longer have to worry about making sure I have a relatively full fuel tank before I stop for the night. Remember, the gas or diesel connection for the generator comes from about 2/3 down in the fuel tank, not the bottom, so you will run out of fuel for a gas or diesel generator well before you run out of fuel for your RV.

Also the LP generator is a bit quieter and I find that very helpful. It provides a bit less power than the equivalent gas or diesel generator because LP provides less power itself, so a 2800 watt gas generator, when configured for LP, is only a 2500 watt generator, but I still find I prefer the LP.

We find that the way we use the generator we only have to do an LP fill perhaps twice a year, so that is easy for us. We use the LP station near where we live when the tank gets below 1/3 of a tank or so.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
On the other hand I no longer have to worry about making sure I have a relatively full fuel tank before I stop for the night. Remember, the gas or diesel connection for the generator comes from about 2/3 down in the fuel tank, not the bottom, so you will run out of fuel for a gas or diesel generator well before you run out of fuel for your RV.
One partial solution for that would be to carry 5 gallons of diesel with you. That would be more a solution to running out of diesel while running the generator than going to the camp too low initially. But it would also serve a secondary purpose of avoiding running out of fuel for the motorhome while travelling, and would be relatively safe to carry--the only negative being the extra weight.

BTW, good discussion all. Thanks for the reply about DPF and DEF.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
One partial solution for that would be to carry 5 gallons of diesel with you. That would be more a solution to running out of diesel while running the generator than going to the camp too low initially. But it would also serve a secondary purpose of avoiding running out of fuel for the motorhome while travelling, and would be relatively safe to carry--the only negative being the extra weight.
Yes, but I have never felt comfortable carrying a 5 gallon container of gasoline or diesel fuel attached to my rear bumper or inside my RV, even inside the exterior storage units. Of course a lot of people do it but I always worried about an accident and spilling the liquid all over the road.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Yes, but I have never felt comfortable carrying a 5 gallon container of gasoline or diesel fuel attached to my rear bumper or inside my RV, even inside the exterior storage units. Of course a lot of people do it but I always worried about an accident and spilling the liquid all over the road.
Gasoline would be much more of a concern. Some of the other locations you mention the concern would be theft. I wouldn't have a problem with diesel in an exterior storage unit assuming it was strapped in place well.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

over the years there has been many threads on most of the forums about this subject if you care to read for a day or two - this subject has in the past gotten lots of attention since it really depends on how you use your RV.

diesel gen has no DEF, uses about 1/3 gal of fuel per hour. Diesel can be purchased readily and the gen runs off your main tank and will not drain your tank below 1/4. Even without LP I can run my microwave, electric heat pump or space heater and power my fridge. I have an LP only Truma on demand hot water - that is my only system that I must have LP for.

LP gen will empty your tank in less than a weekend if you use your gen and getting LP in many areas of the country, including national parks can be difficult. There must be a certified LP person to load your tank (once had to overnight for the next shift to show up) I wanted more LP for my furnace. Plan on about 20 min to fill up you tank by the time the "guy" fills you up and you pay. Some RV parks will not let mobile LP trucks deliver so you have to disconnect and go out for LP.

I have over 450 hrs on my gen without any issues. In my opinion if you plan on dry camping, wallmart/rest stop overnights when on the road, dry camping in national parks or BLM, you will most likely enjoy having the diesel. Purchase a genturi vent tube if the smell is an issue for you, btw the smell diminishes when the motor heats up. For me I think the upcharge of 5k is expensive but makes life so much better for me and the way I use my RV.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We had an LP genset in our previous Navion, and switched to diesel in our new View. When traveling out west during the summer my wife would often complain about the heat in the back where she likes to ride. I was hesitant to run the generator to run the rear air because of using up the LP. But I do think the “micro quiet” LP generators are quieter than diesels. Also a pain is the LP gauge was really crappy and would show a quarter tank when in reality I still had more than half a tank. Traveling in the Florida Keys last fall I made 4 stops and wasted hours trying to find LP gas. Good luck.
Dmarcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:55 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarcian View Post
We had an LP genset in our previous Navion, and switched to diesel in our new View. When traveling out west during the summer my wife would often complain about the heat in the back where she likes to ride. I was hesitant to run the generator to run the rear air because of using up the LP. But I do think the “micro quiet” LP generators are quieter than diesels. Also a pain is the LP gauge was really crappy and would show a quarter tank when in reality I still had more than half a tank. Traveling in the Florida Keys last fall I made 4 stops and wasted hours trying to find LP gas. Good luck.
Running the coach air conditioner is the only heavy usage we have for our generator so if you do that much then you will use a lot of LP gas. Even though we live in southern Arizona we rarely use it because we don't camp where it is hot - we travel to the mountains to get away from the heat and camp there.

But if you are traveling and staying where it is hot enough to need to run the coach AC then you will use a significant amount of LP and I have not found any good smartphone app that will tell you where you can fill up.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:47 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The 2018 LP gauge must be the same make/model as all the others. I never know how much I've got.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:34 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
The 2018 LP gauge must be the same make/model as all the others. I never know how much I've got.
2020 is the same lol. They did move the tank to the forward compartment right behind the drivers side so you can peak at the analog gauge right on the tank which is much more accurate.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Mine's buried in the middle of the underbelly. Another genius move by Winnebago. Make the tank very difficult to get to, to add a Stay Longer adapter.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:24 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Mine's buried in the middle of the underbelly. Another genius move by Winnebago. Make the tank very difficult to get to, to add a Stay Longer adapter.
Not familiar with the setup, but that sounds like a safe location.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:42 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Not familiar with the setup, but that sounds like a safe location.
So I guess there is no "standard" location for the propane tank. Mine is mounted in the first outside cabinet behind the passenger's door.

As for the digital propane display on the One Place panel, I learned just how inaccurate that thing is. It told me that there was less than half a tank so I took it to the local gas/diesel/propane station to refill it before our next trip and was surprised when it took only a little over a gallon. Since then I check the gauge on the tank instead.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:51 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahamor01 View Post
I am trying to decide which one to get in the 2020-2021 View.
How effective is the dash AC? How often do you need to run the generator to power the roof AC on hot(95F) days?
Any service and parts availability problems with the 3200 W diesel generator since it is imported?
I went thru the same decision in February deciding on the diesel option due to ease of replenishing diesel vs propane. There is a cutoff that prevents draining diesel and leaving you stranded, 1/4 tank I believe. You will need the roof AC to cool the coach for passengers in the rear on temps above 80 degrees as the coach heats up pretty quickly in the sun during the summer. BTW, diesel is not nearly as flammable as gasoline in case you consider transporting an additional five gallon tank. Some pretty good youtube videos showing the difference.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:01 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

One of the things I don’t like about the updated View/Navion is the smaller fuel tank. 24.5 gallons versus 26 gallons. I have to stop for fuel way too often. And if I need to run the generator while driving the problem is even worse. The other gripes are the chintzy front stereo and lack of rear entertainment system and outside speakers.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:06 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
One of the things I don’t like about the updated View/Navion is the smaller fuel tank. 24.5 gallons versus 26 gallons. I have to stop for fuel way too often. And if I need to run the generator while driving the problem is even worse. The other gripes are the chintzy front stereo and lack of rear entertainment system and outside speakers.
Good points above, especially regarding the front stereo and lack of entertainment system in the rear.

If you disconnect the black wire from the front center speaker, you will find the sound is more enjoyable. The speaker grill cover pops up with a plastic trim tool (only tool needed) and the speaker pulls right out and the black wire just pops off with a slight tug. Five minute job and the sound is much better.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:57 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

👍 Thanks ozon8r

Tags
diesel, generator