Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Moving off OP topic and BTW, I added a Dish Tailgater Pro with a Wally box and Apple TV for entertainment. I download movies to the apple tv off the home Wifi before leaving to have on the hard drive or can stream from my iPhone if there is cell or WiFi available for the phone. I installed a bluetooth transmitter on the Dish Wally to transmit Sirius/XM stations to a portable waterproof bt speaker, a bit of an expensive workaround to resolve the lack of internal/external speakers and dvd player, but seems the direction tech is going.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarcian View Post
outside speakers.
I suppose people have different preferences.

My 2018 Fuse has outside stereo speakers but I would never use them since I always try to keep my camping as quiet as possible so as to not bother whoever might be camping near me. I assume others want as much peace and quiet as I do so I always try to keep all noise to a minimum. I don't run the generator unless I have to, and then not before 10 am or so and not after 7 pm or so, and for as short a time as possible.

Even when boondocking with others a hundred yards away I always try to be quiet because noise travels further than you would think.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:03 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I suppose people have different preferences.
Yep, and even sometimes spouses have different preferences.

I could do without a TV at all, and one of the negatives in possibly adding an inverter is being able to watch TV without shore power! My wife on the other hand . . ..

But yes, outside kitchens, outside showers, outside speakers, grills that attach to the side of the RV (seemingly an incredibly stupid idea), and even awnings are all things I could do without. But you have to take what they give you. I don't think I found a single trailer (non-teardrop) that didn't have an awning or made the awning an option.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:44 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
But yes, outside kitchens, outside showers, outside speakers, grills that attach to the side of the RV (seemingly an incredibly stupid idea), and even awnings are all things I could do without. But you have to take what they give you. I don't think I found a single trailer (non-teardrop) that didn't have an awning or made the awning an option.
Yes, but I assume people cooking outside or even taking an outside shower will not bother others and I never heard anyone complain about someone putting out an awning. It is the noise caused by people playing a stereo or watching TV outside of their RV that generates noise pollution and that is one of the things that I boondock to get away from.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:46 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yes, but I assume people . . . taking an outside shower will not bother others . . ..
Might be more a visual annoyance.

I was dealing more with stuff the manufacturers offer and/or force on buyers rather than the effect on others. Now if someone actually wants an outside kitchen, or whatever, I don't have a problem with that. And those are hardly common, unlike awnings. Having a grill attached to an RV though . . ..

I agree with you on noise pollution and people not being considerate with music.

BTW, as an aside, when we went to Carlsbad Caverns we were the second elevator load down. It was really nice because everything was so quiet. By the time we finished, not so much. Quiet is nice. So if you go there, go early.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
when we went to Carlsbad Caverns we were the second elevator load down. It was really nice because everything was so quiet. By the time we finished, not so much. Quiet is nice. So if you go there, go early.
We always walk down and take the elevator back up. The walk down is usually very, very quiet and when we go back up I am so happy not to have to walk up that I pay no attention to any noise. I guess it is amazing how much noise I can put up with if I can avoid the pain of having to walk up that incline for that distance.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:20 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

How do you get your coached weighed? Truck scales?
Dmarcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:48 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarcian View Post
How do you get your coached weighed? Truck scales?
Not sure who you're asking, but at Cat Scales you can get separate front/rear axle weighs for $12. Download the app before you get there so you can have all your payment information entered. If no one is in front of you the entire process takes less than 5 minutes.

If a vehicle with a trailer you can get front/rear/trailer separate weights for the same $12.

https://catscale.com/
Old 06-17-2020, 03:52 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Perfect - thanks.
Dmarcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:32 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE=Winterbagoal;3863986 I have only got around 12 hours on ours, so I haven't done any scheduled maintenance yet.[/QUOTE]

If you have only 12 hours on your generator and your coach is a couple years old you're not following the owner's manual recommendations of running it for a couple hours under load each month. I'll admit that I don't run mine every month, rather I run it every 6-8 weeks for about 1 1/2 hours.
Camper Ken 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:39 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
Plan on about 20 min to fill up you tank by the time the "guy" fills you up and you pay.
In my 12+ years of RVing I've never had to spend 20 minutes to get my propane tank filled up. I guess the places I get it filled are more efficient. :-)
Camper Ken 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:52 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken 2 View Post
In my 12+ years of RVing I've never had to spend 20 minutes to get my propane tank filled up. I guess the places I get it filled are more efficient. :-)
I need the location you use to fill your propane tank.

My usual location is a local Circle K that carries gas, diesel and propane but to fill my propane tank I have to go into the store, wait on line to get to a cashier, ask for a propane fill, go out and wait until someone actually shows up to do the fill, wait for the fill and get the bill and then go back inside, wait on line and finally pay. Normally at least 20-30 minutes, once so long that I just left to find someplace else.

Filled up once in Yuma, AZ at a propane fill station and that took more than an hour since I got there right after a cold spell and every snowbird seemed to be in line to get their tank refilled.

Propane fills for me are a real pain in the neck but since I generally don't have to fill more than twice a year it is something I can put up with and is less trouble for me than gas or diesel for the generator. Those force me to fill before I stop somewhere for the night to make sure I don't run out of fuel for the generator.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:31 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
My usual location is a local Circle K that carries gas, diesel and propane but to fill my propane tank I have to go into the store, wait on line to get to a cashier, ask for a propane fill, go out and wait until someone actually shows up to do the fill, wait for the fill and get the bill and then go back inside, wait on line and finally pay.
Not terribly surprising. A 24/7 convenience store is about the last place I'd go to get propane. The second to last place would be a U-Haul type place. Both you'd be waiting for them to deal with their main business.

There are dedicated propane sellers, and also some RV places fill propane--sometimes for very good prices. I think they do it to attract other business, as does apparently a mechanic in my neighborhood who is very prompt coming out when you show up with your tank(s).
Old 06-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Not terribly surprising. A 24/7 convenience store is about the last place I'd go to get propane. The second to last place would be a U-Haul type place. Both you'd be waiting for them to deal with their main business.

There are dedicated propane sellers, and also some RV places fill propane--sometimes for very good prices. I think they do it to attract other business, as does apparently a mechanic in my neighborhood who is very prompt coming out when you show up with your tank(s).
To the best of my knowledge there are only 3 places near where I live to get propane. One is the Circle K, which is about 1/2 mile from my house. The other 2 are considerably further away, are also gas stations that have convenience stores in their building and sell propane, but they don't have someone qualified to fill tanks until about 9am in the morning.

We generally try to bring our RV home early to start the refrigerator and fill it up for the trip, and leave early the next morning. Filling the tanks at the Circle K is a pain because of the trouble I have to go to, but since I rarely have to fill them it is not something that bothers me other than for the couple of times a year that I need to fill them.

If we needed propane more frequently it might become a more serious issue.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:33 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge there are only 3 places near where I live to get propane. .
I guess I should consider myself fortunate. The auto repair place I go to is both close and convenient, so much so I haven't really checked on price. But I do know a few other places that might have better prices, but further away.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:20 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

18ND- we r happy with the LP generator. LP was $5000 less, Lasts long enough for us the way we Camp (mostly in parks, short times dry camping)- having Solar Power of course helps with charging the batteries, and our Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are also a big help. I believe maintenance is less with the LP gen (yes?) and it sure is less smelly.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:38 AM   #37
Winnie-Wise

Like someone said, old topic, frequently asked. I've owned both, LP genny in an '06 View and now the diesel genny in the 2018V24D. When we had the '06 View my first lesson was - never own an LP generator when your LP tank is so small. Constant headache. Yes but overall the '06 was easier to boondock in because it had the LP refrigerator. Now if you have a rig with the compressor fridge you should seriously think diesel generator. You should also be thinking better batteries, better solar etc. but you RELY on the generator. Get the diesel. We are approaching 300 hours on ours and this year has been "virus" limited. In fact we drove our maintenance run yesterday, 60 miles round trip for the engine/drivetrain and ran the air and generator the entire time as well. Last thought, the LP generator was by far more trouble than the diesel. Clogged vent lines with dirt dauber wasp nests, junk. Hard to start issues, many visits to Onan/Cummins shop. That pretty much continued the entire time of 5 year ownership for that rig.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:15 AM   #38
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2010 Itasca Navion (same as View) with a diesel generator. In the summertime in Florida, you will definitely have to run the generator while driving. It is my understanding that the diesel generator was an expensive upgrade from the LPG generator. We have had no problems with it, and enjoy having the diesel generator.
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #39
Winnie-Wise

I have no experience with propane generators, but I know diesel generators are built to run, and run, and run. Our first motorhome, a 2003 Itasca Horizon 32T was first owned by a couple that attended craft shows throughout New England winter & summer. He would stay in the coach while she did the shows. The generator had over 2000 hours on it when we purchased the rig in 2007. And it never missed a beat for us.
Our current RV has the 8000QD Onan, and it to runs and runs, and runs. We only run it perhaps 30-40 hours a year, but it runs great when needed. Uses at most, 1/2 gallon of diesel an hour with a pretty good load with a/c or heat on, along with occasional other appliances.
The noise is quite minimal if you aren't right next to the exhaust pipe, and will be drowned out, if there are others running gas and other portable generators.

Just my experience.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:22 PM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahamor01 View Post
I am trying to decide which one to get in the 2020-2021 View.
How effective is the dash AC? How often do you need to run the generator to power the roof AC on hot(95F) days?
Any service and parts availability problems with the 3200 W diesel generator since it is imported?
We got the diesel for three reasons:

1. LP is harder to find and more inconvenient than diesel
2. Separate fueling not required
3. Doesn't consume fuel needed for cooking and heating water

Tags
diesel, generator