Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-12-2020, 09:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Diesel fill at truck stops

I am downsizing from a diesel pusher. Can a 2020
View filled up at the truck pumps equipped with the larger diameter nozzles?
ahamor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Are you serious? Did you ask the dealer you're buying from?
Smaller fill pipe, slower fill rate.
Try it, you'll find out...
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:08 AM   #3

Not sure about a 2020 View, but we have never had a problem in our 2018 View 24J when filling in the truck diesel lane. We prefer to fill in the truck lane because so-called "car diesel" in the car lanes is often blended or biodiesel vs low sulfur diesel in the truck lane.
SteveD49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Are you serious? Did you ask the dealer you're buying from?
Smaller fill pipe, slower fill rate.
Try it, you'll find out...
Winterbagol, I have come to this forum to gain from the experience of other owners. If you thought it was a stupid question, maybe you should not have answered.
I know that the pumps are faste and larger As I stated, I am coming from a class A diesel and I have reasons to prefer the truck lanes:
I have a TSF fuel card which gives you 30 to 50 cent/gallon
DEF is available at the pump
I don’t have to go in the building to pay
By the way, I have asked the question at the dealer and they did not know the answer
ahamor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahamor01 View Post
By the way, I have asked the question at the dealer and they did not know the answer
Let that sink in. The idea that you can get useful information from a dealer is practically absurd. They know how to get you from their parking lot to the street.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:46 AM   #6
Living The Dream

Excellent question!

I have experienced zero problems using the big pumps/nozzles with any of the three Sprinters we have owned. In fact I prefer them because they create significantly less foam in the tank, so it’s easier to get a good complete fill.

A good side benefit is the windshield washing squeegees at the truck pumps have long handles, so makes cleaning the windshield easier. Can get a good clean windshield never having left the ground.

Try it, you’ll find out.

Glad you asked.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:50 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

With the view having only a 26 gal tank you will find you may have to fill a few times a day if your on the highway and putting on miles.

I've found that regular "gas" stations are far cheaper than going to truck stops and use a Sam's credit card for fuel with a 5% rebate. Yes at a truck stop you will fill faster but it doesn't take that long to put 12 gal (1/2 tank is where I start looking most of the time). In the "auto" lanes and without a toad I can easily manage gas stations which often times are cleaner (less fuel on the ground).

You will find most likely that you will use around 1gal of DEF per 1000 miles you can check the level using the steering wheel buttons. I sometimes put DEF in at a pump but most often I grab a 1 gal bottle from wallmart instead of carrying around the larger 2.5 gal box.

Gone are the days of filling 100 gal of cheap fuel in one state and driving for several days.

I'm sure you will figure out what works best for you. Good luck with your new RV.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
You will find most likely that you will use around 1gal of DEF per 1000 miles you can check the level using the steering wheel buttons. I sometimes put DEF in at a pump but most often I grab a 1 gal bottle from wallmart instead of carrying around the larger 2.5 gal box.
DEF ages too, so for that reason I don't fill mine up entirely, and that's on my truck that is a daily driver (ignoring Covid-19 limitations). With an RV insufficient use could be a real concern if not on a long trip. I'll use the 2.5 gallon box, but that typically only fills it up just over half.

I don't know if Costco lets RVs fill (I don't think they allow vehicles with trailers), but I often see Semi Tractors in there, so I assume they'd allow a motorhome. They have good prices, high volume sales (as opposed to pumps) and typically offer Top Tier diesel. It's my choice if at home.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I am downsizing from a diesel pusher. Can a 2020
View filled up at the truck pumps equipped with the larger diameter nozzles?
I just completed my maiden trip and tried to fill my 2020 Navion at the truck pump with the larger nozzles. No joy. Having come from diesel pickups towing fifth wheels, I prefer the truck lanes for the space and fill rate. However, unless the truck lanes have the smaller nozzle, I’m relegated to car pumps which can be a pita if I have my toad behind me.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Winterbagol, I have come to this forum to gain from the experience of other owners. If you thought it was a stupid question, maybe you should not have answered.
I know that the pumps are faste and larger As I stated, I am coming from a class A diesel and I have reasons to prefer the truck lanes:
I have a TSF fuel card which gives you 30 to 50 cent/gallon
DEF is available at the pump
I don’t have to go in the building to pay
I thought you were joking, seriously.
That said, no, no problems using the larger diameter higher flow rate in the 2018 Navion/View. Just ease up on the trigger a bit or you may get soaked. I cannot speak to the 2020 models, but MB has a way of (usually) leaving things alone that work. Like fuel fill pipes.
Sorry, for the misunderstanding.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:36 PM   #11
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I thought you were joking, seriously.
That said, no, no problems using the larger diameter higher flow rate in the 2018 Navion/View. Just ease up on the trigger a bit or you may get soaked. I cannot speak to the 2020 models, but MB has a way of (usually) leaving things alone that work. Like fuel fill pipes.
Sorry, for the misunderstanding.
Nice that you clarified!

I should say I never fill any vehicle at more than the lowest setting on the pump handle .... wish to avoid the whole overflow/spill thing. I can see where the truck pump flow at full speed could be a problem on a Sprinter fill.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
I can see where the truck pump flow at full speed could be a problem on a Sprinter fill.
It is, from anecdotal experience.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I always look for spilled diesel fuel on the ground, chances are if there are fresh or lots of oil stains the pump will overfill your tank. Look for nice clean ground near the pump.

I've been able to fill using the large truck pumps on my 2016 view without any issue but as stated before I prefer the auto prices and it only takes a few min to fill regardless.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:46 AM   #14
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Let that sink in. The idea that you can get useful information from a dealer is practically absurd. They know how to get you from their parking lot to the street.
Sales office to the parking lot IMHO...:
Old 06-14-2020, 02:53 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozon8r View Post
I just completed my maiden trip and tried to fill my 2020 Navion at the truck pump with the larger nozzles. No joy. Having come from diesel pickups towing fifth wheels, I prefer the truck lanes for the space and fill rate. However, unless the truck lanes have the smaller nozzle, I’m relegated to car pumps which can be a pita if I have my toad behind me.
So did the change the size of the diesel fill tube in the new Sprinter chassis? Because quite a few with the older chassis say no issue with the truck nozzles.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #16
2020 View 24D

I am so glad you posted this question. I have a new '20 View. I am a longtime camper but new to diesel. This has been my biggest area of difficulty. I have tried the truck lanes only to find the nozzle doesn't fit. I did learn that sometimes, the station will have the smaller nozzle on a pump on the side, but that seems to be hit or miss. I have stayed at the car lanes for this reason.

Once, I encountered a gas nozzle on the diesel pump at a Mom & Pop station. I guess you can buy adapters if this poses an ongoing issue. In my case, I left without filling.

Then there's the biodiesel mix. I can't figure out how to avoid it. Seems like all stations will blend this in as cost saving--at least in the midwest. If someone can explain this further, I'm all ears.

In reading answers in this thread, it would seem that Winnebago did indeed change their diesel fuel tube for 2020. Agree?
jimservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:56 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quick update - on returning from a 6 hour "exercise the vehicle" excursion yesterday, I stopped at a Shell station on Hwy 21 to refill the tank. It (oddly) had a diesel pump with the oversized nozzle and flow rate on one of the outside auto pump islands. I decided to try it. The Navion took the fuel at the first locking trigger position, but the fill detection failed, and I had a small cleanup job to do. Nothing is perfect, nor does it always function as designed, is my lesson learned.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:57 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
So did the change the size of the diesel fill tube in the new Sprinter chassis? Because quite a few with the older chassis say no issue with the truck nozzles.

They must have changed the diameter in 2020. Not sure if this is a MB chassis change or Winnibago change. On another forum, a member with another manufacturer reported that his 2020 was fine with the semi truck diesel larger diameter nozzle. But that mfr may be using the 2019 or earlier chassis which seems to accept the semi truck size nozzle. I measured the fuel diameter at just under 1" diameter, 15/16", which is consistent with the auto size diesel diameter. I believe the semi truck nozzle is about 1 3/16". Someone reported using an adapter that was developed for the VW TDI autos. I am going to order this part off amazon, see if it will fit as a permanent addition to the RV and will report back on the results. Here is the part, https://www.amazon.com/TDI-Diesel-Fu.../dp/B00696Y74O
Old 06-22-2020, 05:43 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2019 View and have no problem with the truck filing nozzles. However I watch the fill rate and adjust as I near a full tank. And I never stand in front of the nozzle, but off to the side, as I got soaked with diesel once. However you have to go inside with your credit card as they do not work at the truck pumps. So I prefer the car pumps. But I can always use the truck pumps as I tow a car, you never know what you will run into at the car pumps. So I scope it out before pulling in.
rx4fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:13 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

On our trip home after picking up our 2021 View, tried to fuel at a truck stop - and the larger nozzle didn't fit.

We also found the truck stop prices were usually much higher than diesel at normal gas stations.

What is frustrating is the lack of information on the biodiesel level. The pumps usually state the diesel is between B5 to B20 - and there doesn't seem to be any way to find out how much biodiesel you're actually getting.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel